Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 01:19 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,972,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
You are welcome. Always on standby to correct.
Quote the person you intend to correct - not me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post

If someone won't date me because of anti-depressants, then that's the same as someone saying they won't date me because I had cancer. Not people I want to have anything to do with anyway!
I'm not sure how you came to that conclusion but it's quite a stretch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 01:24 PM

7,868 posts, read 10,259,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Have you ever seen someone withdraw from anti-depressants? Not a pretty sight. Big pharma convinces people that there is a happy pill...there is no such thing. It takes about 2 weeks for these medications to have an effect- Brian chemistry is totally altered- as is the personality as is the ability to feel remorse or guilt. It is a very dramatic and extreme thing to change the way the brain works - Doctors will prescribe this crap after a 2 minute interview...as if it were candy. I don't approve or believe in this stuff.

Depression when it occurs is normal in life...all will suffer from it- It has been in existence as long as people have been around. They say there is a difference between being "clinically" depressed and "down" _ I don't think so. Also - the majority of people are prescribed this stuff with no professional mental evaluation other than some MD that hears "I am so depressed"

what do you mean " all will suffer from it "

most people never get depression let alone live with it , having a down day is not depression , being unhappy in response to something is not depression , depression completely alters your entire personality and charechter , like I said earlier , unhappiness is the default mode for people with depression

Old 07-25-2013, 01:33 PM

8,012 posts, read 8,186,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I think that you really can't understand unless you have suffered from depression. My father had a great life and should have been happy - but he found himself contemplating suicide. He knew that, rationally, he should be happy but he wasn't. He woke up every morning with dread - and for no reason. He sought help and starting taking an anti-depressent. It made all the difference in the world. I'm so glad that he had the courage to recognize that he needed help - and that he got help. Everyone is different. I don't suffer from depression - I'm normally a pretty happy person. But I understand that we aren't all the same.
That's the main thing. Unfortunately when talking about mental health, the idea that the same thing doesn't work for everyone flies out the window.

Old 07-25-2013, 01:42 PM

14,376 posts, read 18,320,068 times
I've never been on anti-depressants, but I avoid people who respond "no" to that question because I feel it betrays a rigidity and lack of compassion and common sense. I've got depression issues that I manage fairly well on my own via diet and exercise. I do the same with my severe ADD. Would someone who can't handle another person taking medication to control a problem be at all accommodating to me when I need a little extra slack to deal with my issues? Would they be able to recognize that the ADD that can have some annoying manifestations also drives many of my best qualities? It's enabled me to build a unique career, locate a kidnapped child, and win a nice chunk of money on a TV game show, just to name a few benefits.

Answering no to that question in the context of other answers and the personal essay bits often simply conveys ignorance about mental health issues, and I have no patience for that. Further, people take anti-depressants for all sorts of reasons - in the wake of the death of a loved one, to get through a rough period, etc. Taking anti-depressants says they're making an effort to own and address their problems, as opposed to self-medicating through booze or just tamping down on whatever turmoil they have until it manifests in self-destructive ways. So they rule out someone who's responsible and reasonable, but leave the door open to all sorts of lunatics.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:02 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,349,322 times
I'd much rather be in relationship with someone who's dealing with & addressing his problems
(be it with counseling and/or Rx, incl. but not limited to anti-depressant meds.)
than someone who puts up a "perfect" veneer & denies his difficulties ('cause we all have something).

Old 07-25-2013, 03:45 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,412,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post

Another is that 'talk' therapy makes permanent positive changes in the brains of people with depression, and pills only make temporary and unstable changes.
It can. Therapy isn't magic, either. My ex went to (went through the motions of, more accurately) therapy for mental health issues, and didn't choose to buy into any of it at all, eventually ceasing therapy "because therapists lie to you and tell you what you want to hear." You're not going see improvement through therapy if you've already made up your mind that you're not going to see any improvement, period, from anything, or if you choose to live in denial that you have a mental/emotional problem at all.

Old 07-25-2013, 04:19 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,963,134 times
There isn't that many people willing to deal with mental problems.

I do know of 1 couple who are getting married fairly soon who are probably around 20-21, and the guy has turrets, and the woman is very attractive and loves him.

Ain't too many women like that in the world.

Old 07-25-2013, 05:22 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,058,991 times
Because I've been on them and currently am taking something to help me right now, I would steer clear of those that say No. Even if they wouldn't themselves, I'd rather know someone is trying to help themselves than pretending life is all great. IMHO, those types of people are worse. I want someone to be honest with themselves and me.

If it wasn't for my mental drugs, I would have killed myself not too long ago. They have helped me get through whatever the heck I'm going through right now. No, I don't really know what I'm going through or why I'm all mentally jacked up right now. Never experienced this before in my life. But the drugs have saved my sanity and probably my life.

And for those that comment about sexual side effects, it's not a given. My sex drive hasn't been affected at all. And oh, Adderall can ramp up your libido. All the mental drugs affect every person differently.

I wouldn't discount a person who is taking AD's, but I would like to learn more. My current BF suffers from MDD and has since he was a kid. If he's not on drugs, he drops to the deepest hole of crappola you can imagine and then becomes suicidal. I still love him, crazy and all. And I know it's not always going to be easy, but I accept that. And yes, I knew all this before dating him.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:57 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,472,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
One concern I would have is that SSRIs decrease the person's ability to feel all emotions, not just depression. I like people who can feel intense happiness, closeness, etc.

Another is that 'talk' therapy makes permanent positive changes in the brains of people with depression, and pills only make temporary and unstable changes. So, if a person chooses the pills, that may mean that they don't do a good job of informing themselves and making smart choices. Not always, obviously.

And, of course, the sexual function problems.
I think you may be underselling the benefits of drugs and overselling the benefits of talk therapy. Each can be helpful if used appropriately, of course. But a lot of depression is biochemical. Talk therapy can help someone deal with the psychological consequences of living with depression. But all the talk therapy in the world won't raise your dopamine levels. Clinical depression is a medical condition, often requiring medical intervention. Plus, there are people who are "in therapy" for decades. Is that really good medicine?

Old 07-25-2013, 10:18 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,976,371 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships