Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2013, 11:09 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadgirl80 View Post
People in Europe are much more racist than Americans.

See, if she traveled, she'd have known that.
I think that would depend on where you go and what your experiences have been. It also depends on your own race. I've traveled a lot and mostly never thought about racism. I think that's something that you would get a better understanding from living in place as opposed to just visiting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
travel can be included and be asked like..."Have u been anywhere this summer or planning to go anywhere?
Oh good grief. Just make a guidebook and email it to anyone who even thinks about wanting to talk to you. That should give them a taste of what they are in for should they choose to have anything to do with you. How do you NOT see how ridiculous you are?

Old 07-28-2013, 11:12 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
WPDude, you've come up with some pretty weird questions, yourself. "Are you a person who snacks?" You ask women this?! "Shopping preferences"? I don't even know what that means, but it sounds very boring. And both those questions sound oddly invasive. For all we know, there are women on a another relationships forum writing about you and your odd questions. It's unusual that you don't ask about a person's job, too. That's usually the first thing strangers ask each other, if making small talk at a party or some other social context.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
If an initial phone call was only about the items on the list, I would not move on to meeting the guy in person. An interest in talking about life in some depth is important to me (as is absence of paranoia and narcissism and controlling wishes/behaviour).
I agree with this. Unfortunately, few men are interested in women's take on life, or their deeper thoughts.
Maybe there's just not that many men who think deeply, haha.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:12 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,200,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Oh good grief. Just make a guidebook and email it to anyone who even thinks about wanting to talk to you. That should give them a taste of what they are in for should they choose to have anything to do with you. How do you NOT see how ridiculous you are?
Really.

Dude, does it ever occur to you that maybe you are the reason you can't get past the second date with anyone?

Old 07-28-2013, 11:13 AM

559 posts, read 1,394,894 times
I agree with the replies that it's just a way of making conversation, and you didn't hear questions like this 10-15 years ago because you were younger. Travel is a safe non-controversial topic, and whoever asked you probably felt that it was a light topic.

There are many people who would say no because they're scared to fly, or they don't like sitting in a car for a long time, they're just not interested in visiting other places, etc.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantis View Post
I agree with the replies that it's just a way of making conversation, and you didn't hear questions like this 10-15 years ago because you were younger. Travel is a safe non-controversial topic, and whoever asked you probably felt that it was a light topic.

There are many people who would say no because they're scared to fly, or they don't like sitting in a car for a long time, they're just not interested in visiting other places, etc.
Yeah - when you are 22 and just out of college - you really haven't had the time to travel on your own. Then again, I still travel with my mom a lot - we make great travel companions!

Old 07-28-2013, 11:15 AM

647 posts, read 1,217,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
Yes. It's similar to having fire insurance on your home. You will probably never have a fire, and if you do, the repairs will probably be less than you pay in a lifetime of insurance. What you are paying for is security, the knowledge that a chance occurrence will not leave you with no house and still having to pay the mortgage for the next 20 years.
Back to Maths.

Fire insurance for homes is a drop in the bucket compared to the income tax paid. It's back to Maths, really. As simple as that.

Maybe the antiquated tontine system is preferred for some folks over freedom of choice. It's not my problem if anybody else enjoys raw deals. I maintain my First Amendment rights to freedom of speech to laugh though when it comes to something outrageously funny, like people thinking that there is a free meal and that they've gotten something "for free" anywhere.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantis View Post

Aye. It makes for great story-telling and conversation.

I think people who get irritated or aggravated by light conversation like that are probably ashamed of their status with it. They get chapped if someone asks them about travel because they're embarrassed that they haven't done much of it or don't have the money, and they get chapped about being asked about their occupation because they're ashamed of what they do, don't like it and feel stuck, or feel unsuccessful at it--all of which our illustrious OP has spoken about regarding himself in other threads.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:20 AM

559 posts, read 1,394,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Yeah - when you are 22 and just out of college - you really haven't had the time to travel on your own. Then again, I still travel with my mom a lot - we make great travel companions!
Me too. Even though I've traveled on my own I've gone quite a few places with my mom.

This is a fun topic of conversation when you're getting to know someone. And if the person doesn't like to travel you can move on to the next topic.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadgirl80 View Post
Back to Maths.
Back to "Maths?" Is that like Englishes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships