Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 03:13 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,220,021 times

Advertisements

Some might plan carefully, but a fairly good proportion of young women getting themselves tattooed these days will regret it, because it's fashionable right now and fashion changes.

A few are tattoo devotees with a work of art they treat as an ongoing canvas, but most people don't go that far, getting one or two or seven in a short period of time then regretting it ever after.

My niece is covered with them, she looks like Amy Winehouse. All gorgeous and feminine (she favours old fashioned pin up girls) but in 20 years??? She may want to look different, and she's removed that choice.

She is quite beautiful otherwise.

Anyway back to OP, this is actually not about his tattoo, not really. It's about your intolerance. Seriously, what does it matter if he needs to put his football team on his bicep? In the greater scheme of things, this is not an important issue to anyone but you, and maybe him.

If you love someone you have to let them make their own choices in life.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:14 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,568,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post

I have a hummimgbird. He's nameless and mysterious. My tattoos all have stories. I enjoy their meanings.
My lower arm is still just an outline (I can't decide on colors so I've let it sit for a while) and I've had many conversations that dealt with making up a story for Roger and his three buddies (baby birds)...plus kids just LOVE using my arm as a coloring book I've come home from babysitting or hanging out with friends kids with my entire lower arm completely colored in with markers.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:19 PM

34,937 posts, read 36,132,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
Yup. I bet the majority of tattoo regret is experienced by the "I got drunk at the beach and decided to get a tattoo of Sonic the Hedgehog on my bicep" crowd than the people who spend months working with an artist to design something from initial concept, tweaking and revising until it's just right.

Note: A guy in my brothers fraternity did the Sonic the Hedgehog example mentioned above. They found him in the shower the next day, frantically trying to wash it off with a scrub brush and dishwasher soap. Not a good scene.
Yikes! What is wrong with people?

This is also why good artists don't tattoo drunk people.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:21 PM

34,937 posts, read 36,132,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
My lower arm is still just an outline (I can't decide on colors so I've let it sit for a while) and I've had many conversations that dealt with making up a story for Roger and his three buddies (baby birds)...plus kids just LOVE using my arm as a coloring book I've come home from babysitting or hanging out with friends kids with my entire lower arm completely colored in with markers.
Yeah. When I did my grapevine, my daughter wanted to color in the grapes.

I have one that's waiting for a few finishing touches. Debating on whether to expand it a little, too. Just not sure yet. It's good to live with larger ones awhile. Let it sink in.

Old 07-29-2013, 03:23 PM

15,853 posts, read 35,052,591 times
Quote:
Yes. I got my tattoos because of Miami Ink and reality shows. Yep. That's exactly what prompted me to get them.

Except for the fact that I received my first tattoo years before that show premiered or was even a twinkle in some producers eye. In fact, me and the few tattooed people I do know HATE those shows and HATE what they've done to the profession. My tattoo artist basically had a meltdown when they decided to have some reality tv show contest for tattoo artists. Most people don't think those shows have had any positive impact at all on the industry or the people who are tattooed themselves.

Well...there's also the fact that I haven't owned a tv in nearly 10 years so the stuff I do watch I have to seek out specifically on hulu/netflix etc.
Well, obviously, this is not true in your case, but I think you will agree that there is a percentage of the population out there who is so incapable of thinking for themselves that they blindly follow any stupid trend that comes down the pike or that is endorsed by the behavior of celebrities. God, knows, if Kim Kardashian was seen on the red carpet with a feather duster up her bum, Wal*Mart wouldn't be able to keep them on the shelves.

20yrsinBranson

Old 07-29-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Yeah. When I did my grapevine, my daughter wanted to color in the grapes.

I have one that's waiting for a few finishing touches. Debating on whether to expand it a little, too. Just not sure yet. It's good to live with larger ones awhile. Let it sink in.
Yep. I keep changing my mind on colors which means I'm not ready to get it filled in yet. I'll know when I'm ready and until then I'm perfectly happy to wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Well, obviously, this is not true in your case, but I think you will agree that there is a percentage of the population out there who is so incapable of thinking for themselves that they blindly follow any stupid trend that comes down the pike or that is endorsed by the behavior of celebrities. God, knows, if Kim Kardashian was seen on the red carpet with a feather duster up her bum, Wal*Mart wouldn't be able to keep them on the shelves.

20yrsinBranson
Absolutely... but really, who cares? I mean, I don't really care what Kim Kardashian does, what she wears or who she's dating so her life has no bearing on mine. If people want to get tribal armbands that's fine, their decisions really don't have much of an impact on my life.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:04 PM

60 posts, read 174,753 times
While I won't dive into the tattooed vs. non-tattooed debate, I will say this about workplaces and tattoos. I work for a government office, in a high-profile position. I deal with customers on a daily basis, as well as interaction with judges, law enforcement officers, and high-ranking members of city and local government. I have three tattoos, one of which is on my right forearm. It's a three-word quote, entirely non-offensive and not controversial in any way. I actually got it after I started this job, and it has never been a problem. My supervisors do not complain, and it's actually a bit of an ice breaker with some of our clients. Tattoos may not be accepted by employers across the board, but in many areas, the perception os them in changing in the workplace.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:13 PM

2,279 posts, read 4,731,608 times
Quote:
LOL, too cute. I can just picture that.

Do you have a pic of your sleeve posted online anywhere? I'd love to see it. (I used to work with a guy who was working on a sleeve and it was really neat to watch the progress.)

Old 07-29-2013, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wry_Martini View Post
LOL, too cute. I can just picture that.

Do you have a pic of your sleeve posted online anywhere? I'd love to see it. (I used to work with a guy who was working on a sleeve and it was really neat to watch the progress.)
Not anymore... I did have my work on my artists website but my friend recognized my tattoo from a magazine and asked when I'd submitted my work not realizing it wasn't me. Someone in the midwest copied my entire tattoo (though, not as detailed) and after that I didn't really want it posted. He happily obliged and just keeps a copy in his in-shop portfolio.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:19 PM

12,698 posts, read 14,847,699 times
Again, no one comments on what I posted about 50/50 in relationships...because no one has anything to say about it. Everyone continue gabbing on about what tattoo you're getting on your earlobe or whatever.

For those who have tats & are thrilled, that's great. Enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships