U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 04:29 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,139,077 times
How to write a profile.

The basics: General interests (hiking, biking, movies, etc), slight bits of humor, and nothing that someone can use to filter out your profile the person probably wouldn't do if you were talking to them in person and could explain (you don't drink, you don't have a car because you live in a very walkable area not because you can't afford one, etc).

You may get a few more emails from women you won't be interested in but for most guys, that's not really a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2013, 07:41 PM

139 posts, read 70,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
While I only got creeps on match.com, I got contacted by lots of cuties on POF.

I got so many responses, I made my profile invisible after a week. Weeded through the responses, met a few guys. Nice people but flaky.

Got frustrated. Gave up. Back to the drawing board.
flakey?? like you go to the movies and they dont show up?

Old 07-30-2013, 10:34 PM
ttz

678 posts, read 979,063 times
I totally agree, long winded crafty messages don't really work to well. If you are hot and make $ you will get a reply. Just don't be a DB and send any creepy messages. A simple "Hi there, nice profile!" goes a long way if you handsome.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:47 PM

8,343 posts, read 3,341,626 times
I am so tired of this whole "all the women on POF are fat and single moms". I'm neither fat nor a single mom (well unless you include my animals)and my responses on POF mostly consisted of single dads who had several baby mamas, much older men and obese men who would write "no fatties" in their profiles. Sorry but interested in any of these groups. I was even open about looks and contacted a few men I wouldn't have looked at years ago and no responses. The decent men my age looking for the same thing and being the same looked for other women apparently. I met a few men but only a few lasted behind one date and none became long term.

I have better luck offline.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:48 PM

1,339 posts, read 634,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post

I have better luck offline.
Fantastic luck.

Old 07-31-2013, 03:07 PM

71 posts, read 30,771 times
I set up an online profile on POF shortly after my ex dumped me last year and although I wasn't on there for long, I can echo why some of you are saying you'd have much better success in the real world. Females, who would otherwise not turn a single head walking down the street, now have the ability to be as selective as they want because so many guys message them. And this is really the root of the problem with online dating: the above-average guys don't want to lower their standards (date girls who they normally wouldn't) and women who normally could only date average looking guys now suddenly believe they can date anyone. And from what I saw, the below average-average looking girls are everywhere online. I'm not sure what the guys tend to look like but I'd assume they're a better looking crowd based on the fact that a good looking girl can get any guy she wants and a good looking guy may not get any girls. I'm not saying it's all about looks but they do play a big role. At least meeting people naturally and in real life, you can see if you mesh right off the bat and not be deceived by any "myspace-angle" photos that they have on their dating profile.

Old 07-31-2013, 03:59 PM

19,127 posts, read 14,401,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimateguy8 View Post
I set up an online profile on POF shortly after my ex dumped me last year and although I wasn't on there for long, I can echo why some of you are saying you'd have much better success in the real world. Females, who would otherwise not turn a single head walking down the street, now have the ability to be as selective as they want because so many guys message them. And this is really the root of the problem with online dating: the above-average guys don't want to lower their standards (date girls who they normally wouldn't) and women who normally could only date average looking guys now suddenly believe they can date anyone. And from what I saw, the below average-average looking girls are everywhere online. I'm not sure what the guys tend to look like but I'd assume they're a better looking crowd based on the fact that a good looking girl can get any guy she wants and a good looking guy may not get any girls. I'm not saying it's all about looks but they do play a big role. At least meeting people naturally and in real life, you can see if you mesh right off the bat and not be deceived by any "myspace-angle" photos that they have on their dating profile.
The bolded...you'd be wrong. I'd say the men that do online dating are average to below average in looks, which is fine considering most women are probably about the same. I do think that the vast VAST majority of men who are even a little above average in looks only do online dating to get quick hookups and easy sex.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:22 PM

3,685 posts, read 2,037,697 times
Flaky = they show up, we have a wonderful date and they act like I am THE ONE. Give me tons of compliments and that I look WAY better than on my pics. That I am funny and down to earth. They like that I am German and tell me about all the Germans they know and why they like them. Seem to like that I can cook but also ride motorcycles, can wear jeans or dress, etc. etc. How sexy my accent is and blahblah.

Then I never hear back and I wonder WTF the put on this show for in the first place. They could have just been polite during the first meeting and not go so overboard with their compliments and excitement.

And we are not talking about super cute model guys with a $$$$ bank account. We are talking about average Joe, sometimes chubby, divorced, sometimes single dads.

I went for online dating bec. I thought these guys are more seriously looking for a partner. But gave up, just too frustrating.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:12 PM

8,343 posts, read 3,341,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
The bolded...you'd be wrong. I'd say the men that do online dating are average to below average in looks, which is fine considering most women are probably about the same. I do think that the vast VAST majority of men who are even a little above average in looks only do online dating to get quick hookups and easy sex.
Most of the guys I have seen were far below average in looks and very picky. We all expect handsome men to be picky but not obese men who look like Quasimodo but that's what I saw.

Old 08-01-2013, 04:44 AM

291 posts, read 418,819 times
I did internet dating a couple of times, most recently about three years ago. In my experience, POF is not very good. I did okay on OKC and Match but POF was full of losers.

Pretty much everybody online lies, both men and women. I always assume that the women is five years older than she says and 20 pounds fatter than her worst picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships