Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2013, 11:38 PM

1 posts, read 988 times

Advertisements

I apologize if this seems like a weird early post but I have a simple question attached to a weird happening and didn't know where to put it.

A japanese girl came to romania 2 days ago to visit a friend she has here. She's never been to romania before and I went to drive her from the airport. I know her friend but she couldn't come because she had a night shift. So I went to the airport and the plane came at 1:00 AM, she knew I'd be waiting so it wasn't a problem finding her.
Anyway, we went in the car and started driving. Everything was good, we were talking, she seemed very interested in our culture since she was never outside Japan (talking in english obviously).

The awkward thing happened after a few minutes of driving thru a forest when she said "Do you know that japanese girl that was killed here a few months ago". At that moment I remembered that about 6 months ago a japanese girl was taken from the airport by a guy pretending to be a taxi driver, driven into the woods and raped/tortured/killed. And needless to say I fealt really awkward at that moment since I'm a romanian guy driving an asian girl thru the forest at midnight and she just happens to mention a dead japanese girl.

And I would have kept quiet about it but she quicly realized what I was thinking and started apologizing and then I apologised for making her think I thought that and so on. And it was weird. There was an air of silence all the way to the destination after that. We both tried to start a new conversation but didn't quite work. It wasn't like I was upset or she was upset or anything like that, just that it was weird.

I'm writing this because next week I'm supposed to take her back to the airport and I am a little worried because I don't know if I should mention it again, or let it go ( I'm thinking of letting it go) but what if there is the same awkward feeling again, then should I mention it? I don't quite know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 11:41 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Just get a buddy or friend who is a girl to ride with you to bring her back to the airport.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:46 PM

61,699 posts, read 87,101,195 times
She was not too afraid to drive with you the first time, she should be even less afraid when you bring her back.
I think she was just thinking about the story and the similarity. Interesting that she knew what happen in Romania 6 months ago. Not that Romanian news are all over the world. Maybe she knew that girl?
You could ease the situation by redirecting her mind and talk about her plans and places to see in Romania. Not just letting her sit and dwell on that...
On the way back just talk about her experiences in Romania - how she liked her visit and such.

Old 07-28-2013, 11:49 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,014,058 times
She was just curious to know if you were going to turn her into a lampshade.
Since you didn't, she may not assume it's going to happen on the way out of the country.

Old 07-29-2013, 12:02 AM

102,217 posts, read 107,883,295 times
Thanks for the warning about getting into taxis at the airport. I've heard there's a similar problem at Moscow airport. The way I've always dealt with that sort of thing is to push past all the taxi drivers and look around the parking lot. There's usually a pensioner alone with his car, away from the crowd. Those guys are cheaper, and they're safe.

Anyway, I think that since you were safe the first time, she won't have a problem with you the 2nd time. She might even laugh and apologize again, and you two will be fine.

Your English is great, btw.

Old 07-29-2013, 01:27 AM

61,699 posts, read 87,101,195 times
^^^ I never heard any such stories about taxi drivers in Moscow, or anywhere else. Bad or weird people are everywhere

Back to OP:
you are not just some taxi driver - you are sent by her friend, so she should trust you.
I still think she was just curious, or maybe just too tired to have a conversation...

Old 07-29-2013, 07:53 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,580,285 times
Bring a friend perhaps? Female if possible?

Old 07-29-2013, 10:30 AM

5,210 posts, read 4,670,759 times
I would be worried too if I were her. I don't think the trip from the airport to the capital takes you through any forest...

Old 07-29-2013, 10:54 AM

6,732 posts, read 9,994,575 times
Can you talk to her sometime before the day she is leaving?

Just say, 'Hey, would you like a ride back to the airport? Or do you have other plans?'

This will clue her in that she better make another plan if she doesn't want to ride with you . Or give her a chance to clear the air with you, or whatever she wants to do.

Show her that you care what she wants, and respect her freedom of choice, and are not just assuming she wants to go with you. Those are the opposite of rape and murder .

Quote:
I would be worried too if I were her. I don't think the trip from the airport to the capital takes you through any forest...
It sounds very Hansel and Gretel, doesn't it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships