Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 02:47 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,195,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducviloxi View Post
Yes, but what if you proposed without a ring? Would she still accept? I doubt it!

You are completely missing the point and what others are trying to make clear to you so let me make it a different color and maybe you will understand:

IT IS NOT THE RING THAT MATTERS IT IS THE LOVE AND COMMITMENT AND THE DESIRE TO SHARE YOUR LIFE WITH SOMEONE. IF SHE TRULY LOVES YOU, CARES FOR YOU AND WANTS TO MAKE A COMMITMENT TO SHARE HER LIFE WITH YOU A RING IS NOT NECESSARY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2013, 04:31 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,373,057 times
Obviously everyone is different. Who cares what everyone else says.

Obviously your SO is concerned about the image she portrays based on the value of her wedding ring.

Some people would not put up with this, others wouldnt mind. It's YOUR CHOICE no one elses. People here have a general consensus but that doesn't mean everyone has to agree.

My best friend loves girls that get their nails done, tan, expensive hair cuts, colors, etc.

Personally I hate all fake stuff except fake ****. I hate fake nails and such. Thats just me. My uncles like my best friend. Thays their own choice and doesnt effect me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Old 08-05-2013, 05:14 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,220,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
Obviously everyone is different. Who cares what everyone else says.

Obviously your SO is concerned about the image she portrays based on the value of her wedding ring.

Some people would not put up with this, others wouldnt mind. It's YOUR CHOICE no one elses. People here have a general consensus but that doesn't mean everyone has to agree.

My best friend loves girls that get their nails done, tan, expensive hair cuts, colors, etc.

Personally I hate all fake stuff except fake ****. I hate fake nails and such. Thats just me. My uncles like my best friend. Thays their own choice and doesnt effect me.

So, you think nice haircuts and manicures are fake, but silicone boobs are ok?

LOL.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
So, you think nice haircuts and manicures are fake, but silicone boobs are ok?

LOL.
If that's what you gathered from my post then reading comprehension > meh_whatever

I probably have to explain that to you as well but I think it's a lost cause.

Old 08-06-2013, 06:36 AM

Quote:
If that's what you gathered from my post then reading comprehension > meh_whatever

I probably have to explain that to you as well but I think it's a lost cause.

Umm. No. My reading comprehension is fine. I could quote you but you are capable of reading your own post again.

I asked you a legitimate question, based on the content of your post.

You decided to reply rudely. I'd report you for insulting my intelligence, but you'd probably just gripe about moderation or something.

G'head. Reread what you said and come back to tell me you didn't say you don't like (list of stuff you consider to be fake) BUT fake **** are something you DO like.

Perhaps you misworded your post. I'm not a mind reader.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Umm. No. My reading comprehension is fine. I could quote you but you are capable of reading your own post again.

I asked you a legitimate question, based on the content of your post.

You decided to reply rudely. I'd report you for insulting my intelligence, but you'd probably just gripe about moderation or something.

G'head. Reread what you said and come back to tell me you didn't say you don't like (list of stuff you consider to be fake) BUT fake **** are something you DO like.

Perhaps you misworded your post. I'm not a mind reader.
Ok, best I can do for you is repeat myself.

The ENTIRE point of my post (as I repeated multiple times) is.. get ready for it since you obviously missed it..... who cares what anyone else thinks....

Like...
To the op, its his choice if he wants to date someone who is conscious of the ring on her finger... and how my uncle amd best friend both LIKE high maintenance girls... how I don't prefer fake nails or tans or hair but do like fake boobs.

Its ALL personal preference and who are we to judge others about what traits they find attractive in the opposite sex?

I like short small Hispanic girls.. my friend likes tall platinum blondes with tons of makeup.. I dont like girls that wear makeup all the time.

My other good friend is a loaded financial planner and his gf of several years is a surgeon. They are both late 20's. He doesnt think twice about exotic expensive vacations but he sure isnt jumping at the chance to spend $10k+ on the ring his gf wants.. of course he will but he would prob prefer to spend half, though hes ok with it still.

Again, the whole point of my post.. people shouldn't dictate what other features people find attractive.

Old 08-06-2013, 07:16 AM

9,131 posts, read 19,990,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducviloxi View Post
Yes, but what if you proposed without a ring? Would she still accept? I doubt it!
People propose without a ring all the time and their proposals get accepted.

In fact, I would think in this day and age that couples who are considering marriage really have talked about it in depth before any proposal happens (or should). Therefore, if affording or giving a ring at that moment is an issue, they may still get engaged because they figure there are more important things than the hardware. Either way, by the time the proposal is made, there wouldn't be any question or doubt that it would be accepted anyway.

That said, I think the real point here is that if you do not have a giving attitude to your future spouse, maybe they should not be your future spouse. That doesn't mean you have to overspend. It means you shouldn't be stressing the expense of buying her something that is nice, and is a symbol for your love towards and commitment to. Especially if you are financially in good shape.

PS, the "rules" for how much to spend are rediculous. People should spend what they want and can afford, not what someone else says is "expected."

Old 08-06-2013, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Ok, best I can do for you is repeat myself.

The ENTIRE point of my post (as I repeated multiple times) is.. get ready for it since you obviously missed it..... who cares what anyone else thinks....

Like...
To the op, its his choice if he wants to date someone who is conscious of the ring on her finger... and how my uncle amd best friend both LIKE high maintenance girls... how I don't prefer fake nails or tans or hair but do like fake boobs.

Its ALL personal preference and who are we to judge others about what traits they find attractive in the opposite sex?

I like short small Hispanic girls.. my friend likes tall platinum blondes with tons of makeup.. I dont like girls that wear makeup all the time.

My other good friend is a loaded financial planner and his gf of several years is a surgeon. They are both late 20's. He doesnt think twice about exotic expensive vacations but he sure isnt jumping at the chance to spend $10k+ on the ring his gf wants.. of course he will but he would prob prefer to spend half, though hes ok with it still.

Again, the whole point of my post.. people shouldn't dictate what other features people find attractive.

I got that part the first time, man. Like I said? My reading comprehension skills are fine.

I agree with what you said here (and originally).

It was just funny that you listed out routine maintenance as fake stuff (well, except artificial tanning...nobody should do that). Then, you said you hated "fake" stuff. Except fake boobs.

It was just an amusing contradiction, you see.

Old 08-06-2013, 09:06 AM

Quote:
I got that part the first time, man. Like I said? My reading comprehension skills are fine.

I agree with what you said here (and originally).

It was just funny that you listed out routine maintenance as fake stuff (well, except artificial tanning...nobody should do that). Then, you said you hated "fake" stuff. Except fake boobs.

It was just an amusing contradiction, you see.
It wasnt a contradiction, it was an exception. They weren't two separate statements as you just put. There wasnt a period separating them, or even a comma. Big difference.

That would be like me saying in one thread I hate fake stuff, then in another saying I like fake boobs. That would be a contradiction.

Old 08-06-2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:
It wasnt a contradiction, it was an exception. They weren't two separate statements as you just put. There wasnt a period separating them, or even a comma. Big difference.

That would be like me saying in one thread I hate fake stuff, then in another saying I like fake boobs. That would be a contradiction.

It was an exception, but the thought process is contradictory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships