Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 01:46 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,856,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I don't think it matters as much to men, as you've said. I've always made more than the woman I was with, just curious if my "little frail man ego" could handle a women who made more.... most likely, but I've never experienced it, so if it happens we'll see....

It seems like most couple are fairly close in terms of salary, but of course each situation is different, and now women are starting to out earn men now adays so it shall be interesting the male/female dynamics as we move forward in the future.
But why dosen't it matter to men these days. The average salary is hardly enough to raise a family comfortably and have savings. Even when one salary could, don't men worry about what will happen if something were to prevent him from being the breadwinner. I would want to know that my spouse could keep the family afloat if I were out of work.

Perhaps men are indoctrinated with the understanding that they will be the breadwinners so they aren't concerned with a mates earnings where women have more of an aversion to financially supporting a man, long term anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 02:10 PM

52,258 posts, read 52,668,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
But why dosen't it matter to men these days. The average salary is hardly enough to raise a family comfortably and have savings. Even when one salary could, don't men worry about what will happen if something were to prevent him from being the breadwinner. I would want to know that my spouse could keep the family afloat if I were out of work.

Perhaps men are indoctrinated with the understanding that they will be the breadwinners so they aren't concerned with a mates earnings where women have more of an aversion to financially supporting a man, long term anyway.
I think it's a generational thing.

I'm in my low 40's, Gen Xer,due to the cost of living, it is becoming more of a concern, I still think guys of my age and maybe a little younger, are thinking along the lines of men being more of the 'breadwinner', IDK, it might be more to it, not sure.

I think much younger guys, like early 20's, I think that they probably expect a much less inequity in salaries..... again, not sure, just basing what I see on the forum and IRL to a degree.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:47 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,345,189 times
When I saw this it reminded me of an old saying, if you marry for money, you'll end up earning it.
They'll never let you forget who has it and who doesn't.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:00 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,803,101 times
Dates are easy, but I want some kind of ongoing relationship. And I've had a hard enough time finding a relationship as it is... why make it harder by limiting myself? Besides, I don't think most men who seem to want to date me care about money so much as they care how good a woman looks. Never had a man ask me how much money I have... but they do comment on how I look. So no, it wouldn't change the way I date at all.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:10 AM

1,059 posts, read 1,207,935 times
I bet you that some of the women who answered this are lying.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:29 AM

1,400 posts, read 1,577,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickofDiamonds View Post
When I saw this it reminded me of an old saying, if you marry for money, you'll end up earning it.
They'll never let you forget who has it and who doesn't.
This I could see. The guy envisions poolside lounging with a cocktail every afternoon. Meanwhile, she's thinking about firing the groundskeeper.

Old 08-21-2014, 12:27 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,278,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
No, that's more a male thing (dating up in looks or lower in age due to wealth). Me personally I came from money and it doesn't do anything for me.
That's what is commonly seen. Men dating up when it comes to looks and women dating up when it comes to money. Of course exceptions exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships