Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 01:26 PM

936 posts, read 2,060,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
This is true, but it must be remembered that women are sensitive to signals from other women. Rarely are you in a totally isolated setting when sending such signals, and there's an awareness other women can view it also. In other words, any rejection or humiliation a man risks in a direct approach, a woman also risks in simply sending signals, if not from the romantic interest himself, from her female peers.
So women can detect other women's signals. So what? I'm not seeing what the risk is there.

And even if what you're saying is true, if men can't detect women's signals, then what's the point in sending them in the first place? If anything it would be more adaptive to send a very obvious signal very quickly rather than sending too subtle a signal and being detected by other women without men's awareness.

Am I the only one that thinks this sounds like espionage? Just me, then, is it....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 01:26 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
This is true, but it must be remembered that women are sensitive to signals from other women. Rarely are you in a totally isolated setting when sending such signals, and there's an awareness other women can view it also. In other words, any rejection or humiliation a man risks in a direct approach, a woman also risks in simply sending signals, if not from the romantic interest himself, from her female peers.
i'm not sure if i understand this

Old 08-01-2013, 01:30 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,545,365 times
she's friendly if i'm not interested in her

she's possible interested if i find her attractive, she appears to be enjoying my company (or gives me the look like she wants to meet/talk with me), and she's not married or has a bf.

she's definitely interested if we make plans to connect again and talk about doing stuff together.

how did i learn the difference? through being repeatedly rejected for not reading her cues better, practice makes perfect.

Old 08-01-2013, 01:40 PM

3,467 posts, read 8,141,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockJock1729 View Post
So women can detect other women's signals. So what? I'm not seeing what the risk is there.

And even if what you're saying is true, if men can't detect women's signals, then what's the point in sending them in the first place? If anything it would be more adaptive to send a very obvious signal very quickly rather than sending too subtle a signal and being detected by other women without men's awareness.

Am I the only one that thinks this sounds like espionage? Just me, then, is it....
Women speak disparagingly of other women when they note them sending "obvious" signals of romantic interest to men. So there's a risk in humiliation with peers. Your female peers may say "oh she's desperate & pathetic, chasing after him - look he's not even interested!" and stuff like that.

Women likely don't realize their signals are too subtle for men. I think there's an aiming to send something clear enough for the guy to get without appearing desperate or silly.

The problem with a very obvious, quick signal is you don't know if the guy is interested either, and now you have no slow building dynamic for a gauge. You risk more direct rejection/humiliation, and unless it's someone you will likely never see again, then it's something you have to face every time you see the person. I think women seek to appear open & approachable more than interested because of this.

I realize men face this dilemma also, but I think women are judged more harshly for unrequited romantic interested. There are stronger negative connotations of her being desperate or a flirt or whatever.

Old 08-01-2013, 01:43 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,157,561 times
Never was and probably never will be able to. One woman's "Go and die in a fire and don't bother me" glower is another's "come hither you sexy thing" look.

Old 08-01-2013, 01:48 PM

1,209 posts, read 1,813,486 times
Kiss her to find out.

If you are a bad kisser, expect more women to be friendly but not interested.

Old 08-01-2013, 01:52 PM

11,785 posts, read 12,022,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
I notice so many men have trouble with this -- even men in their 60's!

If a woman is smiling, open, and friendly, they can't tell whether she is also interested in them romantically or not. (Usually they think she is, and then feel hurt when they turn out to be wrong.)

So, guys who have learned this skill, how did you do it? Help out your brothers .
I think they need to work more on not feeling hurt or worrying about being turned down, versus whether or not a smile or look is an invitation.

Old 08-01-2013, 01:57 PM

3,138 posts, read 2,778,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
Never was and probably never will be able to. One woman's "Go and die in a fire and don't bother me" glower is another's "come hither you sexy thing" look.
So sad, but definitely true!

Old 08-01-2013, 01:59 PM

2,222 posts, read 3,599,312 times
I'm still trying to learn.

Old 08-01-2013, 02:01 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
I'm still trying to learn.
I agree sometimes its hard to decipher.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships