Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 02:38 PM

156 posts, read 259,242 times

Advertisements

if a girl does not have a ring on her left hand but she is wearing a ring on her right hand, does that mean she is single and ready to mingle?

In other words, does this mean that she is open to approaches by men?

I got confused by this the other day because i saw girls who had boyfriends wearing rings like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2013, 02:55 PM

67,666 posts, read 60,197,371 times
Traditionally a ring on the left hand means she's not available. Otherwise, I'd say GO FOR IT! As far as I know, rings on the right hand don't have any symbolic meaning other than, "I like this ring."

Old 08-01-2013, 03:02 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,121,999 times
It means that she is wearing a ring.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:04 PM

20,683 posts, read 19,798,340 times
Or she is from Europe, where they wear wedding bands on the right hand in some countries.

Germany, Greece, Russia, Spain, Slovakia, India, Colombia, Venezuela, and Poland, for example. Orthodox Christians and Eastern Europeans also traditionally wear the wedding band on the right hand. In The Netherlands, Catholic people wear it on the left, all others on the right; in Austria, Catholic people wear it on the right. In Belgium, the choice of hand depends on the region of the country. Greek people, many being Orthodox Christians, also wear the wedding rings on the right hand in keeping with Greek tradition. A traditional reason to wear the wedding ring on the right hand stems from Roman custom. The Latin word for left is "sinister", which in addition to this sense also has the same senses as the English word. The Latin word for right is "dexter", a word that evolved into "dexterity". Hence, the left hand had a negative connotation and the right a good one.

No, I am not that smart, found that on the internet. It must be true then, right?

Old 08-01-2013, 03:05 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,308,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
It means that she is wearing a ring.
LOL, I was going to say it just means she likes rings

Old 08-01-2013, 03:06 PM

29,627 posts, read 34,087,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Traditionally a ring on the left hand means she's not available.
Specifically the 4th (aka "ring") finger. I wear a ring on my left index finger, which definitely just means "I like this ring."

Old 08-01-2013, 03:07 PM

35,095 posts, read 50,961,628 times
How perplexing it must be for you when someone has a ring on every finger AND her toes..........

Old 08-01-2013, 03:09 PM

20,683 posts, read 19,798,340 times
Mormon?

Old 08-01-2013, 03:12 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,121,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Or she is from Europe, where they wear wedding bands on the right hand in some countries.

Germany, Greece, Russia, Spain, Slovakia, India, Colombia, Venezuela, and Poland, for example. Orthodox Christians and Eastern Europeans also traditionally wear the wedding band on the right hand. In The Netherlands, Catholic people wear it on the left, all others on the right; in Austria, Catholic people wear it on the right. In Belgium, the choice of hand depends on the region of the country. Greek people, many being Orthodox Christians, also wear the wedding rings on the right hand in keeping with Greek tradition. A traditional reason to wear the wedding ring on the right hand stems from Roman custom. The Latin word for left is "sinister", which in addition to this sense also has the same senses as the English word. The Latin word for right is "dexter", a word that evolved into "dexterity". Hence, the left hand had a negative connotation and the right a good one.

No, I am not that smart, found that on the internet. It must be true then, right?
I found this out the hard way when I went out with a married dude many years ago.

Old 08-01-2013, 03:43 PM

9,086 posts, read 1,454,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post

I've noticed that in some European countries they wear their ring on their right hand and always thought that was odd. The ring I wear on my right hand was given to me by my parents years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships