Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 10:52 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,233,609 times

Advertisements

OP, your post reminded me of a young lady who I worked with 20 years ago. I went to her place of work as a consultant and ended up as manager for 6 months. The first time I saw her I couldn't believe my eyes. She was probably the most beautiful woman I'd ever seen, and it seemed odd to find her in this run-down business. I avoided even looking at her that first day because I was afraid I'd not be able to take my eyes off of her. She was 17 or 18 years younger than I too (45 vs. 27 or 28).

I soon discovered that she was also very bright and had a terrific sense of humor. And I discovered that she had a thing for me! Her boyfriend, who was about my age, was out of town working on his masters or phd, and she soon started asking me over for dinner, time after time after time. I always declined, as I didn't think it would be appropriate.

Then she and a co-worker asked if they could catch a ride with me to a neighboring city after I'd mentioned I was going there one night. I said sure. Why not? But when I stopped by the office to pick them up, the co-worker wasn't there. Something had "come up" and she couldn't go, but the beautiful office manager still wanted to ride along. What could I say? As it turned out, we stopped and had dinner before returning, and generally had a terrific time at dinner and during the long drive back. That was the beginning of a great friendship that turned into a little more. We started going out to dinners, lunches and breakfasts. I taught her how to drive a stick shift, we'd go for walks along a lake, sit and talk -- and LAUGH -- for hours. I was falling in love and didn't care if it was appropriate or not.

As it turned out, we never quite got together due to some strange circumstances, but we would have and even planned to for a short while. When I think of the few women I've loved, she's right there in my mind -- the one who got away. She contacted me on Facebook a few months ago. She'd had similar thoughts about me, I guess -- said she's often wondered what we could have had.

I'm just mentioning this because your boss could have the same feelings as I did but knows it's inappropriate to start something in the workplace. You could also use your wits to get something started if you really wanted to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 12:10 AM

52,263 posts, read 52,668,250 times
I'm really trying not to be judgmental or mean here... but 17 yrs older????? I mean this is fine if your old old but if you're under 55..... it's just odd.........

I hope it works old for you......... LOL, I mean "out"... LOL......

Old 08-02-2013, 12:17 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
If he is your boss, 17 yrs. older, and you do not even know if he likes you, then yes, you need to move on and forget about him. Like you said, it is the beginning of your career, so this would not be a good start.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:19 AM

688 posts, read 897,399 times
Meh, age isn't that important, unless the older person ends up as some sort of disciplinary figure, which I've seen before and it tears the relationship apart. I've seen a handful of large age gap relationships work very well. As an example, a friend of mine started dating a woman who was 36 when he was 20. Twelve years later, they're married and doing just fine.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:56 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,723,439 times
Is this a pattern: choosing impossible men? Think about why you do this? It could help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships