Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 07:05 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
I would relocate.
Virginia has those same laws on the books and they are NEVER enforced in the spots people actually want to live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 07:11 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,223,337 times
Quote:
I would relocate.
Eh, I am here for the time being...
But my point was that papers are a part of relationships, and some lawyers take advantage of that once the relationship is terminated.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:12 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,298,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Eh, I am here for the time being...
But my point was that papers are a part of relationships, and some lawyers take advantage of that once the relationship is terminated.
Which is even more reason to bypass paperwork altogether.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:12 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,602,346 times
I love the idea of marriage too. Too bad its mostly fantasy.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Virginia has those same laws on the books and they are NEVER enforced in the spots people actually want to live.
They do here, and if I recall correctly, one case involved a disgruntled neighbor when I read that article.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:18 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,543,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat247 View Post
Marriage can be a wonderful thing. My parents are going on 40+ years, my Grandparents have been married 75 years. I've seen good marriages.

I believe what we learned in preschool is what people need to exhibit in their marriage.

Be nice
Don't be mean
Be happy

It's simple and basic and when one doesn't treat the other with these guidelines..... IT DOESN'T WORK!
Yep; I'm fortunate to have had really solid, role-model type marriages as models.

My parents hit year 41 this week, my maternal grandparents hit fifty before my grandfather passed away, and my late paternal grandparents were together almost 60 years.

I think having exposure to people with healthy marriages is pretty key. It's really something when you can spend consistent time around people who love and respect one another and their relationship, are committed to working through things that aren't easy to work through rather than succumbing to the pressure to throw in the towel and go their separate ways, and have common goals and desires.

I've learned over time that while I'm fine on my own, sharing my life with someone with whom I'm compatible is far more fulfilling. Marriage or no marriage, I find this to be the case.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Which is even more reason to bypass paperwork altogether.
There are laws protecting the jobs of lawyers against that.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:22 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,298,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Yep; I'm fortunate to have had really solid, role-model type marriages as models.

My parents hit year 41 this week, my maternal grandparents hit fifty before my grandfather passed away, and my late paternal grandparents were together almost 60 years.

I think having exposure to people with healthy marriages is pretty key. It's really something when you can spend consistent time around people who love and respect one another and their relationship, are committed to working through things that aren't easy to work through rather than succumbing to the pressure to throw in the towel and go their separate ways, and have common goals and desires.

I've learned over time that while I'm fine on my own, sharing my life with someone with whom I'm compatible is far more fulfilling. Marriage or no marriage, I find this to be the case.
Isn't always the case. My parents are happily married 37 years. Always put their marriage first. I think the high expectation of their marriage in my mind deterred me (and my brother) from ever wanting to get married ourselves.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
I love the idea of marriage too. Too bad its mostly fantasy.
In my experience, it appears to be half and half, at the very least.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:25 AM

5,472 posts, read 7,602,346 times
Quote:
Isn't always the case. My parents are happily married 37 years. Always put their marriage first. I think the high expectation of their marriage in my mind deterred me (and my brother) from ever wanting to get married ourselves.
Same goes for me and my sisters. To be perfectly honest, getting married 40 years ago, when people took marriage seriously and getting married today, are two completely different things. It is really, really hard to find someone today, who is willing to make a marriage work, and geting married to someone who will walk in five years, because they are having a bad day or simply arent happy anymore, is a waste of time and energy. Thank your feminist sisters and their no fault divorce for that one. Big contribution to slow decay of our society via destruction of family unit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships