Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 12:30 PM

56 posts, read 43,537 times

Advertisements

I don't see the harm in knowing that factoid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2013, 12:33 PM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanFlyer45 View Post
I don't see the harm in knowing that factoid.
Never mind. You seem to miss the point so no point saying any more than I've already said.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:52 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
Well, I loved your story, and thank you for sharing it. As others have said, you are indeed a good writer.

Sometimes I get on here and write a piece of my life story and some people get upset because I am not really asking a question.

Others get upset, I think, because it is always a happy story. Some people are miserable and want you to be miserable with them.

I am sorry for the loss of your beloved wife, and it sounds like you did a good job taking care of her. I know it can be hard.

Something I have often wondered about people who have lost a spouse due to death....you seemed to idolize her as such a perfect human being, and it seems like you are doing much the same with this other woman.

Will she truly be able to live up to your wife and will you be able to not compare the two?

At any rate. I wish you well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanFlyer45 View Post
To answer why did I post this? This forum is about relationships and so is this post. I didn't really have any questions to ask. I'm sixty-five years old and at this point in my life feel comfortable in relationships with women, children, and colleagues. I just thought it would be interesting to others and maybe help them by honestly conveying my feelings.

Thank you for the comments about my writing. I have been a software developer for my whole career and English was my worst subject in high school, but after writing for work for many years, my writing has improved. I just write what I remember and feel.

I was very lucky to be married to xxxxx for almost thirty years. I miss her every day. Some people say that time heals, but at least for me, that hasn't been true. I have several pictures of xxxxx hanging around the residence, and I offered to take them down, but my fiancé said nothing doing...she loves the pictures and respects her, and in fact, often visits her grave with me.

Yes, she is stunningly beautiful, but I understand a lot more about beautiful women now. They need and want the same things everyone else does, someone to love them and care about them, and she has never experienced that. She stayed married to her first husband for a long time because she is deeply religious and believed marriage was a lifelong commitment, but after being shot at three times with a gun she decided that if she stayed, she would be dead.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:06 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,166,988 times
Seems kinda like an attention seeker, looking to get his jollies from showing strangers his hot new wife.

Old 08-05-2013, 09:08 AM

1,194 posts, read 1,399,799 times
Cool story, grandpa.

Especially the part where you are "above average in looks". Shouldn't have posted a pic if you were going to make that claim, eh?

Old 08-05-2013, 09:56 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,985,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
Seems kinda like an attention seeker, looking to get his jollies from showing strangers his hot new wife.
To me he seems like a really nice and caring guy who won the lottery. Good for him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCollege View Post
Cool story, grandpa.

Especially the part where you are "above average in looks". Shouldn't have posted a pic if you were going to make that claim, eh?
That guy is one of the luckiest "grandpas" you will ever know.

And he only said above average in looks. To me .. that estimate seems about right.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:13 PM

56 posts, read 43,537 times
Pikantari,

To answer your question about idolizing the women in my life, of course no human being is perfect, and that is just my own personal way of relating to them. In addition, after some one passes away, you see qualities and good things in them that you may have overlooked before in the daily grind of life, like doing the dishes. I'm sure there are negatives to my way of doing things, but they seem to appreciate it. I will say that you have to have the right partner to do that with. If they are a taking person, it doesn't work but if they are a giving person, it works well.

She will not be competing with my late wife because she is a totally different person, and you need to appreciate each person for their own qualities. That is what makes life interesting because their set of qualities is so different. One was a meticulous planner; the other is impulsive. Each trait can be appreciated.

skaternum,

At my age, I don't need any attention. But you are free to think as you wish.

JoeCollege,

Looks is of course a very subjective thing. I have always though of myself as average, but everyone else tells me different so I raised it to above average, maybe a six or seven on a scale of one to ten. I'm comparing to other sixty-five year olds as well.

RD5050,

I do consider myself very lucky, but it is more than just luck. I treat the women in my life right, and they appreciate that. My fiancé says that when she was younger, she went for the bad boy. Never again she says. That was a very hard lesson to learn. Nice guys don't always finish last. My fiancé says I've grown on her, and she couldn't imagine life without me, which is always nice to hear.

Sometimes it is almost impossible to believe what one human being can do to another. My fiancé related recently that when she was with her first abusive husband, at one point he put her in the back of their pickup truck with all of her clothes and drove down to a local bar, dumped her in the bar with all of her clothes on the floor, poured dishwashing soap all over her, and left her there. She was completely humiliated and crying and called her Dad to come pick her up. Truth is stranger than fiction. Soon after she ended up on the eleven o'clock news after she dialed 911 for being shot at.

Old 08-05-2013, 12:24 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,399,799 times
A 65-year old man using the phrase "bad boy" is just sad.

But please, continue to regale us with tales of how wonderful you are. I'm sure you get.....something out of it.

Old 08-05-2013, 02:42 PM

67 posts, read 138,324 times
Well, I appreciate the OP for a wonderful, well-written story. It beats reading many other threads out there asking "should I reply his text because it has been only 3 hours and 15 minutes?" or "why do women only like jerks?" So what if the OP isn't asking questions? Should sharing be frowned upon?

Old 08-05-2013, 03:10 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,093,179 times
OP, how wonderful if you are to be blessed with true love twice in a lifetime. It certainly sounds like you have! I think you are both wise for taking your time in marrying again, just to be sure you are both compatible for the long-haul, and also to give all the children involved some time to adjust. To be safe, at least listen carefully to the red flags your family and friends bring up. Their concerns are out of love for you. Best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships