Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 08:12 PM

2,183 posts, read 2,201,607 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
Do you really think that there is a woman who goes on a date, especially a second date, and is not going to know the age of the person she is dating?
Yeah and I am one of them. If I don't tell people my age I have been mistaken for someone as young as 32 and as old as 35.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 08:14 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,298,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jma501 View Post
Yeah and I am one of them. If I don't tell people my age I have been mistaken for someone as young as 32 and as old as 35.
Don't date over 30, so there would be no mistaken age issue.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:17 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,156,959 times
Quote:
That's only a 3 year difference...

Old 08-07-2013, 08:18 PM

11,363 posts, read 9,275,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nokiddin View Post
I'm in my 40s, and often mistaken for being in my 30s. if happens more often than you think. Once you connect and can relate to them, "your not like most older guys". I had a 26you recently tell me "I cant believe I can talk to you like my friends". Also long as the vibe is on, your age is generally not a problem. At that point, you've crossed their logical "I wont date older guys" rule.
What I responded to was a couple "dating", not looking or talking to a man who looks younger than he actually is.
Two entirely different scenarios.

Quote:
A question for women who have posted here. Suppose you were dating a guy you thought was in his early to mid thirties but found out he was 44 what you do?

Old 08-07-2013, 08:21 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,164,627 times
I've tended to date men 1-2 years older than me, with my current being around 2 years older. I've gone one year younger once or twice. I can appreciate an attractive older man, but for some reason, a man who seems to be 20+ years older than me reminds me of my father and it just wouldn't really turn me on to think of it beyond that.

I'm 24, for reference.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:23 PM

11,363 posts, read 9,275,640 times
Quote:
You actually date women, date as in "dating" and your age is not brought up? Dating to me is multiple dates.

Sorry, I find that hard to believe.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:23 PM

78 posts, read 229,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post
Take it from experience - you have it partially right. Society expects a man in that age group to do either that (bolded) or settle, take your occasional trip with a person you would rather not be with, stay home and read together and learn to like it.

OR - Get in the correct frame of mind, don't worry about what others think, and have a good time with yourself - alone. It can be done. Go out and do things you like to do and don't worry about what others think. I go out alone quite often. I've been on a run of baseball games and concerts lately. I'm going to a concert tomorrow night and Sunday night. I bought single tickets to both events and I'm really looking forward to them. I may or may not find someone to talk to but I don't expect it. It is a bonus if I do. If not, no big deal.

Reality is even at age 46 the chances of you getting together with a much younger woman is very slim. Near but not totally impossible. The time to try that is now. Reach my age (58) and you can hang it up for good.
I lost 8 prime years that I would love to get back.

As for this thread topic - I don't mean to be rude but it's a ridiculous question. It's common knowledge that a woman is going to "prefer" men in their age range or slightly older, least 95% of them. But maybe when out and about after some accidental interesting converstation and possible chemistry it could happen, just not very likely that it will.

The reason why i'm asking the question is that i met a foreign woman who PREFERED older guys. Like a girl who started at age 22 to date guys late 30's and up. Some Latin women also have this preference.
And i can easily see this in high cost cities like NYC, LA and Miami. and some women have the whole "guys in their 20's are immature frat boys" thing.

I really have to go against the grain here-- lots of guys in their 50's can do well-- a lot of the brat pack from the 80s: Kevin Bacon, Robert Downey Jr, Rob Lowe-- all of these guys still look pretty young. Jared Leto is 41, looks 27.

Personally, most of the women who approach me are in their 20's and and sometimes in their 30s.
Despite what you may think, i'm not "fishing" for answers that women prefer older guys. Just curious about thoughts on turning down 27 year old guys for suave, mature 40 year old guys.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:25 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,800,412 times
I am out of the age range too, but I when I was in my 20s, I wanted to date other college men. After I graduated, I wanted to date men around my age/at the same stage of life. So did all my friends.

But there are women who like and will date much older men--they are out there. It's just not that common. Look around, how many couples, hand-in-hand do you see with that much of an age difference. If you do see a man in his 50s dating again after a divorce or something, it's more than likely a woman in her 40s, not her 20s. Yes, it's possible, but it will be a lot of work and you have to accept the fact that a much younger woman might have ulterior motives other than love (and be careful). That's not to say all are like that... but again, be careful. I hate to see anyone conned.

I found a quote that sums things up well: "Not all May-December relationships are disasters waiting to happen, but most of them are. While we’ve outlined the reasons why dating younger women isn’t always the best thing to do, it’s ultimately your choice to make. In the end, if you’re thinking about dating a younger woman, make sure it’s a decision you’re making with your heart and your brain -- not with your pecker."

Old 08-07-2013, 08:28 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,298,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillH View Post
Personally, most of the women who approach me are in their 20's and and sometimes in their 30s.
Despite what you may think, i'm not "fishing" for answers that women prefer older guys. Just curious about thoughts on turning down 27 year old guys for suave, mature 40 year old guys.
Hmmm, something about the bolded reads to me that you are looking for responses in favor of younger women being attracted to older men.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:28 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,164,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillH View Post
The reason why i'm asking the question is that i met a foreign woman who PREFERED older guys. Like a girl who started at age 22 to date guys late 30's and up. Some Latin women also have this preference.
And i can easily see this in high cost cities like NYC, LA and Miami. and some women have the whole "guys in their 20's are immature frat boys" thing.

I really have to go against the grain here-- lots of guys in their 50's can do well-- a lot of the brat pack from the 80s: Kevin Bacon, Robert Downey Jr, Rob Lowe-- all of these guys still look pretty young. Jared Leto is 41, looks 27.

These are gorgeous men, but I have to say you can't use celebrities as an example when it comes to aging. It's like when I hear people talk about how well Jennifer Aniston is aging. She's a bombshell, but these people spend thousands of dollars on their appearance and have access to things we do not.

Robert Downey Jr, yum. I may change my mind if he ever propositioned me.

Definitely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships