Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 09:30 PM

7,454 posts, read 13,391,432 times

Advertisements

I do it, but 4 years?? nahh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

35,095 posts, read 51,020,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesDD View Post
My brother and his girlfriend had living together for a year when my mother met her, they had been together for 4 years in total.

I've the child.

Okay, the brother and girlfriend were together for 3 years, moved in together and after one year your Mother met her, correct?

You have a child with a woman that your Mother knows and they get along quite well but she is the ONLY woman your Mother knows you have been involved with, correct?

19,112 posts, read 30,552,623 times
Sounds to me the only reason you would do that is if you were embarrassed of your SO.

I've never felt the need to keep anything like that secret, though I generally don't tell people if I'm seeing anyone because it's never worked out and I don't want to have to explain when it doesn't work out.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:36 PM

2,948 posts, read 6,999,565 times
My ex did this with his GF before me. He was with her several years and his family didn't even know he was involved with anyone until he announced they were going to be grandparents!

Oh, wait... Baby came out, um, not the right color to be genetically his.

This should have been my sign, seriously.

His current GF, the one he split our marriage over, is "just his friend" according to his parents. You know, the only person in the world that was willing to offer him a place to crash when we split up?

Oh yeah, her FB account indicates she is now knocked up. I'd like to send a care package to his parents to ship down with baby books n such... Cuz, you know, he wouldn't dare be 'living in sin' with this friend of his....

I'm having a bad night.

What is with men and keeping it secret, anyway????

Old 08-07-2013, 09:42 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,090,283 times
I don't think I would be very happy being the "secret" girlfriend. I just don't see a point in keeping a relationship a secret.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:44 PM

158 posts, read 209,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I don't think I would be very happy being the "secret" girlfriend. I just don't see a point in keeping a relationship a secret.
Not having to deal with nosy friends and a nosy mother-in-law? Not having to explain a number of things to other people? I think there are many good reasons.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Okay, the brother and girlfriend were together for 3 years, moved in together and after one year your Mother met her, correct?

You have a child with a woman that your Mother knows and they get along quite well but she is the ONLY woman your Mother knows you have been involved with, correct?
Yes, that's right.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:46 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,090,283 times
Quote:
Not having to deal with nosy friends and a nosy mother-in-law? Not having to explain a number of things to other people? I think there are many good reasons.
Family and friends are important to me. If someone in my life is important to me - I want them to get to know my family and friends.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:48 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,020,997 times
Quote:
So why not stay out of relationships or drop all contact with your friends and family so they don't stick their nose in your life? It seems that would be much simpler than trying to hide all the time and it would certainly cut down the amount of logistics, chaos and excuses when it comes to family gatherings and such. No contact or no relationships means no excuses as to why you cannot attend.

Technically one cannot be a Mother In Law if one's child is not Legally Married.

Old 08-07-2013, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
I do it, but 4 years?? nahh
His girlfriend went into hiding several times when my mother visited my brother.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships