Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 10:05 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,546,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Sounds to me the only reason you would do that is if you were embarrassed of your SO.
nah, there are other playful reasons to do it, maybe for a little bit at least

Marvin Gaye "Sexual Healing" / sexy pics. - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2013, 10:08 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesDD View Post
His girlfriend went into hiding several times when my mother visited my brother.
I refuse to hide in my own home I don't care who is coming to dinner or visit.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:17 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
What do you think about it? My brother kept his girlfriend a secret for 4 years until he brought her to meet my mother.

My mother only knows my son's mother for obvious reasons. Otherwise, officially, I've never had any other girlfriend.
I think it is fine. It is your brother's life.

My brother only brought one girl home, my sister in law to meet my parents. I fell in love with her too. She's a really really nice lady.

well, growing up, I've known almost every single girlfriends of my brothers' and there were tons of them. I've liked every single one of their girlfriends. I always secretly wished some of them could be my sister in law, well, nothing happened.

Your brother's happiness is all that matters. If he wants to keep the girlfriend a secret, he has every single right to do so. When he is ready, he would introduce the ONE to everybody in the family. Hopefully, that will be a pleasant surprise.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:42 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,481,819 times
Quote:
What do you think about it? My brother kept his girlfriend a secret for 4 years until he brought her to meet my mother.

My mother only knows my son's mother for obvious reasons. Otherwise, officially, I've never had any other girlfriend.
Relationships are not generally kept secret. When they are, the reasons for it are usually pretty ugly.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:13 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,650,496 times
Sounds like you have issues with your mother.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:22 PM

158 posts, read 210,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Sounds like you have issues with your mother.
Why?

Old 08-07-2013, 11:24 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,650,496 times
Quote:
Why?
Maybe she's meddling? Maybe she wants to run your life? Maybe she's judgmental? Maybe she wants to pick your gf/wife for you? Maybe she doesn't want to share her sons with another woman? Maybe you guys can't assert your independence with her? Maybe she embarrasses you?

Old 08-07-2013, 11:40 PM

1,351 posts, read 1,598,335 times
I think that, for many people, if they meet and get together with the right person...i.e. someone that they're truly happy with, comfortable with and like them for who they are...then they don't want to keep the relationship a secret. They WANT to introduce their special someone to their friends and family.

It's one thing to keep a fairly low profile during the initial stages of dating, but as for established relationships...if someone goes out of their way to keep their relationship hidden or on the down-low...it is likely that the reason(s) for that are not good. Maybe there's something about their partner that's embarrassing. Or maybe they have ignorant or bigoted parents who only want their child dating a certain "type" of person. Or something else.

Old 08-07-2013, 11:46 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,414,746 times
I remember my ex's ex keeping him a secret. I always questioned why..

I have to agree that keeping an s.o. a secret is usually not a good sign (probably not likely b/c they want others to stay out of their business) but maybe they do so because:

a. they're ashamed
b. maybe it's a relationship they hope would be better (and they're waiting to see if things can change), which brings you back to a.) they're ashamed bc they don't want to admit they're settling
c. playin'

Old 08-08-2013, 05:06 AM

830 posts, read 1,666,371 times
Keeping a boyfriend or girlfriend secret for four years? Maybe, maybe someone can think of a really good reason for doing that, but I can't. I couldn't be the secret or the secret-keeper in a situation like that. I mean, how would it feel to hear "my mom's coming to visit this weekend, you'll have to find something else to do" for all that time? I don't think anyone in this thread so far has offered any sufficient reasons for doing something like that. Meddling parents? Doesn't every young person think their parents are meddling? OK I understand that sometimes people end up with a mate who isn't up to their parents' expectations, but as an adult you have to stick with who or what you believe in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships