Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 08:29 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,471,479 times

Advertisements

Tell him you don't appreciate his compliments and gifts - they make you uncomfortable - and ask him to please stop. After that, ignore his compliments, and respond with a mild insult or something like "You're not looking well". Do not accept gifts or acknowledge them, or throw them in the trash in his sight. Avoid hugs, etc. - push him away or turn away. Otherwise, treat him neutrally, and just repeat the first line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2013, 08:32 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,650,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
My guess is that he has fictionalized his account of his relationship with YOU to the GF and now he has to demonstrate to her what a great guy he is. It isn't about you. He's trying to be a better man for her benefit. I wouldn''t complain, though, because you benefit also!

IMHO tell him in private that although you appreciate his efforts, (and I hope you do, because he put you through hell) you need some boundaries. Tell him what is making you uncomfortable.
Ooooh this is probably it.

Honestly, I would work on just blowing it/him off and not thinking twice about whatever he says or does.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:38 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
If I were in your position, I would assume the worst, which is that he doesn't actually want you but just wants to screw with your mind for kicks because he knows it will bother you. I would assume this just for my own sanity and peace of mind.
I agree with this. Don't let it go to your head, I am sure he still despises you. Consider the source and ignore it.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:13 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikantari View Post
The other day I met my ex husband and he was just raving over my toenail polish.
He bought me flowers on mothers day and gave me a huge hug
When we talk on the phone,
You are bringing this on yourself.

Why are you talking to him so often in the first place? Why are you meeting him? Why were you in any position to be given flowers?

Sorry, but this seems strange that you are having this much contact with him.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:01 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,823,403 times
Pure head game. I know you need to be civil for the kid's sake. Easy for me to say but keep contacts cordial and short and as mentioned before don't respond to gifts, compliments etc. You've moved on and so should he. It really does sound like he's using you to impress his current GF, pathetic.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:15 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,001,935 times
Quote:
I think I did another thread similar to this one.
So, why start a new one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
You are bringing this on yourself.

Why are you talking to him so often in the first place? Why are you meeting him? Why were you in any position to be given flowers?

Sorry, but this seems strange that you are having this much contact with him.
I agree with this. I don't think you are bringing it on yourself but you are allowing it to happen. I'm wondering if you don't enjoy the attention?

If this really bothers you, you have the power to stop it. If you don't stop it, then you should stop playing the victim.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:32 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,360,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
My guess is that he has fictionalized his account of his relationship with YOU to the GF and now he has to demonstrate to her what a great guy he is. It isn't about you. He's trying to be a better man for her benefit. I wouldn''t complain, though, because you benefit also!

IMHO tell him in private that although you appreciate his efforts, (and I hope you do, because he put you through hell) you need some boundaries. Tell him what is making you uncomfortable.
This is what I think it is. When he took my daughter he put it in her mind that I tortured her and kicked her out of my house. He, his mother and sister drilled it in her mind. She is on the high spectrum of Autism, so it wasn't hard.

I got her back by way of the police and then it was his time to have the kids again, and he did it again. I always followed what the courts said to the letter and he never did, but he was allowed the kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
No one said pretend anything. What I said was to try to be cordial. Someone complimenting you is not creepy. If you want him to stop, there's nothing wrong with talking to him in private. On the other hand, why start a bitter arguement and be nasty when there is really no need to?
I am always very cordial to him. I do not contact him or meet him more than I need to. I contact him a week or so before we are to meet with the kids as sort of a reminder or to see if there are any changes. I also call if I am going to buy things for the kids to verify a few things.

It is creepy. The last interaction I had with him when we were married was on July 21, 2007. He tried to take off with the kids while he was drunk and for the very first time, and for the very first time I called the police. They told us that neither of us had true custody because we were married and the next time the police were called, the instigator was going to jail.

He called his mother and she and his sister and her husband came over.

I was very upset. I told them everything, everything of how he had abused the kids and I. Everything. They acted like I was crazy. Of course they did. They had only seen our 'perfect' family and there was no way her son would have done that. Even though he was right there drunk and trying to drive off with my kids, there is no way he could be that way.

I talked with my brother in law for a bit. My ex mother in law came and was harassing me. I went out in the front yard and my ex BIL followed me. It was getting dark. Dusk. I spilled my heart to him and told him how are lives truly were.

Next there is a police officer standing next to me. He is looking at my face, shining his light in my eyes. He tells me that my ex and his mother called and said I was not save to be around other people, and was a harm to myself. My ex BIL flashed his badge at the cop and said none of that was true.

After it seemed as though all of the in laws left with my kids, my ex and I were sitting in the living room and it was almost midnight. I was sitting in my chair with my head in my hands and I told my ex I could not do this any more, this is it. I was wearing my eeyore pajama pants and a pink t shirt.

I kept hearing voices but my ex said it was nothing.

All of a sudden there are a large pair of feet standing next to me. I can see them as I am looking downwards. I look up and there is that same officer. He tells me he is taking me in.

Taking me in where?

For an evaluation. I ask why. He says I will find out. I tell him I am a civilian of the US and he is telling me what is going on. My ex and my ex mil had gone to the magistrates office and told them I was exhibiting bizarre behavior and losing weight and journaling. I was not safe around my family or myself.

I asked if I could at least get dressed, and he let me. I put my wedding ring and engagement ring in my pants pocket and that was the last day I ever wore them.

I was placed in the back of the police car and the voices I heard were my ex mil and ex bil out in my carport waiting for the police.

The cop told me he knew there was nothing wrong with me but once they went to the magistrate office it was his duty to come and get me.

I told him I understood. I just sat in his car crying and waiting until the person who would come in and talk to me arrived. It was after midnight, so it was July 22 now, 2007.

I was at a mental facility. All of the rest of them had to be interviewed as well. I told them all of my ex mils dirty little crazy family secrets and asked who the insane one was. I confronted them all and told them what I thought. She said I didn't have to see them, but I was raging mad and I was going to see them. In waiting to see them, I lost my ride home with the police officer and had to ride with them.

I got home at 7am. My crazy ex mil is all cheerful and smiling and asks my ex and I and my ex bil if we want her to go get us some sausage biscuits.

I grabbed my purse and called her a crazy m-fing ****** and grabbed my keys and I left. I went to my sisters house in another state and he would not stop calling me, begging my forgiveness.

It is creepy for him to compliment me and give me flowers. During most of our marriage he treated me as something not good enough to even grace the bottom of his shoes. His mother treated me the same way.

They messed me up for a nice little while and I was finally able to break away from his control more than 2 years after I left him. I was very afraid of him. I was afraid of him taking my kids. He owned me.

He does not own me anymore and for him to act like we are best buds is unacceptable.

I have recovered from all of that, for the most part. Somehow, I still have not been able to let this episode go, and I don't know if I ever will. I will never forgive his mother, and I will never forget. I don't know if I have forgiven him.

Once I was finally my own person and had the strength and perseverance to not allow him to control and belittle me anymore, the tables shifted. He saw something in me that he never saw before, and no longer was he allowed to treat me that way. There was a shock in his eyes. He had no idea what was going on.

No one ever said life was easy. These days, at least, I am happy.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:36 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
If that is how it is, then you should not be talking to him at all. Period.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:39 PM

12,585 posts, read 16,952,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena Sattar View Post
I don't think it's creepy of your ex boyfriend to want to be your best friend. He's showing that he is a mature adult about this matter more than you are.
Thank you.

Calling a guy "creepy" is as offensive as calling a girl, "slutty."

Old 08-12-2013, 02:43 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
I think I did another thread similar to this one. The other day I met my ex husband and he was just raving over my toenail polish.

WHY?!? Why is he looking at my toenails and why does he even care. Furthermore, why is he complimenting them at all, much less with his gf standing right there?

He bought me flowers on mothers day and gave me a huge hug.

When we were married, we did not celebrate mothers day because I was not his mother. Now I get flowers. He certainly didn't compliment me on anything, and that is for sure.

I find it rather creepy.

When we talk on the phone, he wants to tell me about his day or his week. We are not besties. We are ex spouses!

I am always very civil to him. I do not hate him. I hate some of the things he has done to me, but I cannot hate a person, it is not within me to do that.

I just do not understand him. Does anyone else have this going on?

Some of my family and friends and I have come to the conclusion that he may feel like he still wants to be with me, or wishes we were not apart.

He was so mean to me when we separated and the police were at my door and I was in court so much that I thought for sure that as soon as that one year mark hit, I would have divorce papers on my door but I never did. Not ever.

After 5 years, I finally filed. I never had the money before that. I did it without a lawyer and took care of all the paper work on my own.

Now he just wants to be my best friend. We can be friends, that is fine. We have kids together. We should be civil. Just don't be creepy!

If you are meeting for visitation meet in a neutral place and have someone else engage him with the children. Also, the best way for him to stop is for you to tell him to stop and don't make it a light hearted joking "oh stop". Adamantly tell him to STOP and do it firmly and tell him you will NOT tolerate that nonsense any longer. IF he continues tell him to STOP over and over and over until he finally gets it that he needs to stop. The next time he does this in front of his girlfriend tell him to stop because you do not appreciate him giving compliments to you AND he should be paying more attention to HIS GIRLFRIEND.

It is not required that you "be friends" just because you have children together. All you have to do is be civil, since he thinks you are "friends" that is why he does this and when he is on the phone you should be discussing the children, nothing more. When he wants to tell you about his day or whatever is personal stop him immediately and ask him if there is any more information regarding the children. If not tell him goodbye and hang up the phone.

In the future if he hands you flowers or has them delivered immediately hand them back to him or refuse the delivery, do not accept anything from him for any reason.
In his mind it is you telling him that all of this is just fine so he continues to do it because you are allowing him to do it;

Yet you still think he has "no control" over you now? Guess again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships