Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2013, 12:44 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,959,118 times

Advertisements

Orrrrrr,

One could spend a few minutes throughly reading someones profile. The write out a full thought out message (3 minutes):
"Hi, I see you like to cook, and you enjoy sushi. I cook as well, as I have been cooking since I was 9. I like long walks on the beach and the smell of fresh cut grass. I see you are a hockey fan, were those playoffs not the most insane hockey you have ever seen ? "

And then.... crickets.
Annnnnnnd they disnt even read the message, they spend 2 seconds looking at your picture, and DELETE. Not even a profile review.

"Hi, how are you?" is a conversation starter.

When you are in public, how do you create conversation? please don't tell me you compliment their scarf or jacket or shoes....

A simple hello is typically enough. If a woman is interested, she reciprocates, if she isnt, she doesn't reciprocate.
Online conversation starting is the same way. I know guys that don't even say 'hi' online. They wink or send a
And these guys get dates all the time.

Your level of frustration is a lil high. Hopefully your profile doesnt list 'easy going' as a trait. No offense, but from your posts, you are closer to the opposite of easy going, at least on this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2013, 12:44 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
[quote=Raptor76;30976326]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
How would he make his threads then?[/quot

I am sure he would think of something
Write poetry.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:47 PM

1,883 posts, read 2,521,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageGuy2006 View Post
Orrrrrr,

One could spend a few minutes throughly reading someones profile. The write out a full thought out message (3 minutes):
"Hi, I see you like to cook, and you enjoy sushi. I cook as well, as I have been cooking since I was 9. I like long walks on the beach and the smell of fresh cut grass. I see you are a hockey fan, were those playoffs not the most insane hockey you have ever seen ? "

And then.... crickets.
Annnnnnnd they disnt even read the message, they spend 2 seconds looking at your picture, and DELETE. Not even a profile review.

When you are in public, how do you create conversation? please don't tell me you compliment their scarf or jacket or shoes....

A simple hello is typically enough. If a woman is interested, she reciprocates, if she isnt, she doesn't reciprocate.
Online conversation starting is the same way. I know guys that don't even say 'hi' online. They wink or send a

Your level of frustration is a lil high. Hopefully your profile doesnt list 'easy going' as a trait. No offense, but from your posts, you are closer to the opposite of easy going, at least on this forum.

Thank you for bringing some sense to this thread.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:50 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,371,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
IMO when you get a message like that it is often either:

(A) This person has nothing in common with me, but maybe wants to hook up

or

(B) This person is missing a piece of their brain

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockJock1729 View Post
I never knew if it was because they really didn't know what to say, or they couldn't be bothered to try.

I've often gotten the opening line quoted by OP
in initial messages at online dating sites.

I can't figure out what it's indicative of, for sure.
Not caring enough to look at what I wrote, uninterested because they're only seeking sex ?
I'm ISO new friends and/or a long-term relationship, *not* a hook-up.

It seems the epitome of empty small talk, could not this person read my profile & pick *something* ?
I do read profiles, and when I msg. a guy I always choose something from what he wrote to bring up.

Old 08-15-2013, 12:55 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageGuy2006 View Post
Orrrrrr,

And then.... crickets.

Hi, How are you is better suited to meeting someone in public not on the computer. And that's because you will get a instant "i;m fine and you? .

I don't want a "I"M FINE AND YOU sent back to me online

Old 08-15-2013, 12:56 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 59,016,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post

I've often gotten the opening line quoted by OP
in initial messages at online dating sites.

I can't figure out what it's indicative of, for sure.
Not caring enough to look at what I wrote, uninterested because they're only seeking sex ?
I'm ISO new friends and/or a long-term relationship, *not* a hook-up.

It seems the epitome of empty small talk, could not this person read my profile & pick *something* ?
I do read profiles, and when I msg. a guy I always choose something from what he wrote to bring up.

It's confirmation that they like your picture and want to get to know you but I still don't like it

Old 08-15-2013, 12:57 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,131,339 times
So I suppose if WPD gets a response of "Hi, how are you? LOL. What do you do for fun?" his head will explode?

Old 08-15-2013, 01:00 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,959,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor76 View Post
Thank you for bringing some sense to this thread.
Between some people that are scared to meet men in public places, and some people that cant tolerate "Hi, how are you?" as a conversation starter, I am really beginning to understand why online dating is such a struggle. I am guessing that at least half of the people dating online shouldnt even be online dating. If you don't like online dating, then. get. offline. it's scary, nerve-wracking, and tedious. And if you cant handle that, then stop wasting the peoples time who can handle it.

Sheesh.

Old 08-15-2013, 01:02 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,371,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestPhillyDude75 View Post
Hi, How are you is better suited to meeting someone in public not on the computer. And that's because you will get a instant "i;m fine and you? .

I don't want a "I"M FINE AND YOU sent back to me online
It's starting to remind me of a recent thread in Non Romantic Rels section
about greeting people in public (like cashiers or passing acquaintances)
and the whole perfunctory/obligatory/formal ritual of having to say:
"Hi how are you"
"I'm fine, how are you"
"Fine and..." Aargh !

This is online dating, I'm trying to get to know this person,
and I hope they're trying to get to know me as a person,
because I'm not interested in a generic exchange of messages-
a ONS/NSA is *not* at all what I'm "up for" or "down with" or whatever.

Old 08-15-2013, 01:04 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
I think if the 'Hi, How are you?' came from someone I actually had something in common with or came from someone with a profile that didn't look like a 13 year old girl wrote it I was far more apt to reply.

As it was, 99% of the 'Hi, how are you' (or rather 'hi, how r u lol') messages came from guys who looked like they were in a gang or had absolutely NOTHING in common with me at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships