Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 11:35 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't not date someone because they were a cop but I don't see myself having much in common with an officer so I don't think the situation will ever present itself.

I once had a slightly negative attitude towards cops until I actually got to know a few. Then my brother became an officer. I would never in a million years thought he would end up in that line of work. After hearing the stories of dealing with the public, most of which are on drugs or just plain crazy, being lied to, spit on, cussed out, physically attacked, etc. and seeing the look in his eyes and hearing the tremble in his voice after he has had to put a kid in a body bag and notify a family, has given me much more insight into a cops daily life, more understanding of why some cops seem agitated and sometimes rude.

Cops are like everyone else. There are good and bad ones, they have good days and bad days. They are not perfect. And they have to deal with more chit than most of us can imagine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 11:37 AM

2,386 posts, read 3,268,127 times
Would I date a police officer?........YIP

Old 08-16-2013, 11:48 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Frankly, I don't care if you folks would ever date an officer or not. But the anti-cop sentiment in this thread saddens me. It's obviously not just this thread, it's every where. We hear all about the bad officers. One of the web sites I go to often is PINAC | Photography is Not a Crime where there is story after story of LEOs taking peoples cameras, sometimes deleting the images and even arresting them for the simple act of photography. But I know not all of them are like tis. I have worked in the media before, too. I covered cases about bad cops and living in Columbia, there are legitimate questions about the entire culture at the police department here.

But most LEOs are not bad guys. Yes, there are bad apples. No, they are not the majority. The thing I keep going back to is 9/11. When folks were running out of the World Trade Center, who was running into it? Law enforcement officials, including those cops you guys despise.

That link we saw about the on duty officer who paid for the kids meal? Remember the only reason it was told was because the cop got shot right after. If he had not met an untimely end, we never would have heard that story. That's how most LEOs are.
So a cop brought lunch for a kid? Big damn deal. In my neck of the woods a few weeks back, a LEO got p&^$ed he lost a crap game, so a few hours later he came back and shot and killed a guy he was playing with and tried to frame it as self defense. Sorry, I think most cops are overagressive people who got picked on in school and want revenge.

Mind you cops are supposed to be protecting my right to think most of them are douchebags.

I will say that the Arlington County VA (where I live) police are a hell of a lot more sane than most other places cops.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:41 PM

105 posts, read 283,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
Regardless of whether or not you like cops, you're just like anyone else. When the chips are down and you need serious help, who do you call? Not the drug dealer, next door. As far as receiving their respect, you're not going to get respect from anyone when you don't also show some respect yourself. Not all cops are bad cops with a bad attitude, but your own attitude determines how you are going to be treated. I'm sure you have no idea what the average cops day is like. He sees the very worst, dishonest people, and must deal with them as though they were upstanding citizen's, because in their mind they are. Most of his friends are other cops because other people feel uncomfortable around him, even former friends. His life isn't all fun and games, but he is expected to make split second decisions that lawyers can argue about for weeks. He is expected to take command of any given situation and have a good outcome. You know nothing about cops until you walk in his shoes.
Why would I have been disrespectful to an officer as a victim? You're so hell bent on trying to make it out like I'm the one causing the issue that I'm not surprised you used to be a cop. Therefore you are proving my point.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:51 PM

93 posts, read 332,007 times
For myself it would depend on his attitude. I have only met arrogant cops but I'm sure that nice single cops do exist ....

Old 08-16-2013, 12:57 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,195,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I wouldn't not date someone because they were a cop but I don't see myself having much in common with an officer so I don't think the situation will ever present itself.

I once had a slightly negative attitude towards cops until I actually got to know a few. Then my brother became an officer. I would never in a million years thought he would end up in that line of work. After hearing the stories of dealing with the public, most of which are on drugs or just plain crazy, being lied to, spit on, cussed out, physically attacked, etc. and seeing the look in his eyes and hearing the tremble in his voice after he has had to put a kid in a body bag and notify a family, has given me much more insight into a cops daily life, more understanding of why some cops seem agitated and sometimes rude.

Cops are like everyone else. There are good and bad ones, they have good days and bad days. They are not perfect. And they have to deal with more chit than most of us can imagine.
I dated a DC cop in my mid-20s. It lasted a year, and it was harder than dating someone in the military. When you date a serviceman, and he deploys during wartime, you don't know if he's coming back. When you date a cop, every time he walks out that door, he might not come back. You deal with it every day. Someone mentioned the high rates of alcoholism and domestic violence among cops. There's a third option, though: They compartmentalize. Work is work, and home is home. Home is sanctuary. But it doesn't always work, and they end up shutting down emotionally at home. That's how the cop I dated was. Never laid a hand on me in anger, didn't drink too much, didn't do drugs, was straight arrow to the point where last I heard he's now in their Internal Affairs Bureau. But he could be cold.

Took me 14 years and a marriage in between to date another man in law enforcement. He's not a cop, but several of his friends are, so when we socialize, there's often several kinds of tin in the room. My sister dated a cop for a while, as well. You hear the stories, you're there through the bad days, and you learn.

Old 08-16-2013, 01:00 PM

39,208 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGunnar View Post
Why would I have been disrespectful to an officer as a victim? You're so hell bent on trying to make it out like I'm the one causing the issue that I'm not surprised you used to be a cop. Therefore you are proving my point.
Just out of curiosity, do you think all cops are bad?

Old 08-16-2013, 01:05 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,195,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
So a cop brought lunch for a kid? Big damn deal. In my neck of the woods a few weeks back, a LEO got p&^$ed he lost a crap game, so a few hours later he came back and shot and killed a guy he was playing with and tried to frame it as self defense. Sorry, I think most cops are overagressive people who got picked on in school and want revenge.

Mind you cops are supposed to be protecting my right to think most of them are douchebags.

I will say that the Arlington County VA (where I live) police are a hell of a lot more sane than most other places cops.

They have to deal with a little less than the District cops. The cop I dated in the above post? His kid brother was a deputy in Arlington. One time we were all out at dinner on a double date, and Kid Brother said, "I had to restrain someone today. He took a swing at me and wouldn't get in the cell, so I had to hit him and push him in!"

And my then-beau said, "That's cute. Happy for ya, son."

But yeah. Arlington County has a good force. Very polite and professional.

Old 08-16-2013, 01:07 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,104,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGunnar View Post
Attitude is everything, and you have one.

Old 08-16-2013, 01:08 PM

39,208 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
They have to deal with a little less than the District cops. The cop I dated in the above post? His kid brother was a deputy in Arlington. One time we were all out at dinner on a double date, and Kid Brother said, "I had to restrain someone today. He took a swing at me and wouldn't get in the cell, so I had to hit him and push him in!"

And my then-beau said, "That's cute. Happy for ya, son."

But yeah. Arlington County has a good force. Very polite and professional.
LAPD has some very good officers as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships