Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2013, 07:39 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,300,562 times

Advertisements

I'm dating someone who doesn't listen/forgets/isn't paying attention to a degree that I can't even comprehend.

What to do when you tell them you are doing something a specific day or time and they forget-let it go.

What if you are doing something the same day and time every week and they still forget-kind of irritating.

What if you are doing something the same day and time for 6 months and they can never remember?

At what point do you think something is truly wrong with a person?

I am in grad school and I work full time. I have class the same day and same time for months on end, yet he never seems to remember, asks me to do stuff (get's irritated when he realizes he forgot I am doing X), makes dinner plans completely not remembering I have class (the same day and time I have for months-it never changes).

Also, I will tell him repeatedly I am going on vacation, have a girls night planned, am dog/house sitting and he can never seem to remember, no matter how many times I tell him or how far in advance.

I don't know what to do. Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2013, 07:47 AM

102,217 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
I'm dating someone who doesn't listen/forgets/isn't paying attention to a degree that I can't even comprehend.

What to do when you tell them you are doing something a specific day or time and they forget-let it go.

What if you are doing something the same day and time every week and they still forget-kind of irritating.

What if you are doing something the same day and time for 6 months and they can never remember?

I am in grad school and I work full time. I have class the same day and same time for months on end, yet he never seems to remember, asks me to do stuff (get's irritated when he realizes he forgot I am doing X), makes dinner plans completely not remembering I have class (the same day and time I have for months-it never changes).

Also, I will tell him repeatedly I am going on vacation, have a girls night planned, am dog/house sitting and he can never seem to remember, no matter how many times I tell him or how far in advance.

You can either spend the rest of your life beating your head against a wall, or let him go and look for someone who doesn't have odd memory problems. Or you could post your schedule on his wall. I don't think that would help, though.

btw, a good, functioning memory is key to intelligence.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:24 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,648,445 times
Give him some gingko biloba?

Old 08-20-2013, 08:46 AM

16,961 posts, read 17,337,436 times
Possible ADHD

Old 08-20-2013, 09:02 AM

2,758 posts, read 4,958,363 times
Quote:

The guy doesnt care about your schedule. That's the point, he is so self absorbed, your classes and schedule mean very little to him.

I'd say this guy has a good deal. You are extremely busy, and yet you get to hang out consistently.

I guess if casual is all you want, and with your schedule, it isnt surprising, then just call a spade a spade. But you are probably wasting your time if you talk to the guy much outside of hanging out with him.
There are no memory issues here with the guy. No one is this forgetful. He flat out doesnt care to remember.

Old 08-20-2013, 09:10 AM

606 posts, read 903,469 times
Maybe he has ADHD. Someone I'm close to has similar issues. It's not that he doesn't care, he just can't remember. It is annoying at times, he has tried to change it, but he still has difficulty. I have a calendar on gmail that I use for all my stuff because I to can easily forget things I shouldn't. I've set it to share with him so all the stuff I need him to know, he gets reminders to his phone. It's helped a lot.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:58 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,166,401 times
Either he's (a) a self-absorbed jerk or (b) he has ADHD. If a, then good luck making a decent relationship with him. If b, then suggest he get a diagnosis and medication. If he won't do that, then good luck making a decent relationship with him.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:43 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,521,031 times
Quote:
Leave him sticky notes?

Old 08-20-2013, 12:49 PM

29,744 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
You can either spend the rest of your life beating your head against a wall, or let him go and look for someone who doesn't have odd memory problems. Or you could post your schedule on his wall. I don't think that would help, though.

btw, a good, functioning memory is key to intelligence.
I'm wondering if he shows this kind of memory lapse for other things. It's driven me crazy in the past when a guy has "forgotten" something I've told him at least five times, but can easily remember obscure statistics about his favorite team or quote the entire script from his favorite movie, and can otherwise function perfectly as an adult and an employee. The notion that anything that doesn't involve him isn't worth paying attention to can be infuriating.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:58 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,998,989 times
Do you think he's doing it even though he knows you're indisposed?

I've had some guy friends to play that game. They will offer to go do something with you even though they know you're busy so it looks like they're trying. And then they go out with their guy friends. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships