Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 05:47 PM

17,869 posts, read 20,992,952 times

Advertisements

And that's why there's a million threads that have some poster asking the forum some question about some person, or what that person is thinking, in which case we never actually know what said person is thinking, and that they should ask these questions to said person.

Talking is communicating, and so many people don't understand this. Why I'll never know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2013, 05:51 PM

18,431 posts, read 34,354,404 times
There is a name for this process, but I can't remember what it is. It's like you are trying to lift the person up after bringing them down, or lift them up before bringing them down to level them out.

I will think of what it is called in the middle of the night or when I am in the shower or something. It is used with children.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:00 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,186,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
A couple nights ago I made it a point to share with my wife something that bothers me. This happens from time to time, you have something that is on your mind and you have to discuss it. I approached tactfully and as reasonably as I could, yet still my wife got defensive. This was not unexpected, as she clearly saw it her way and that her way was right. To have that challenged is not easy.

We talked through the issue, and that was that. Yesterday while at work I replayed the conversation in my mind and considered what I should have done differently. I don't regret bringing up the subject at hand because it isn't healthy to let something that is making you unhappy brew and simmer like that. At the same time it occurred to me that if I am going to make it a point to share with her something about her that has made me upset, once that issue is resolved I should make it a point to share with her something about her that makes me happy.

So last night I did. I thought long and hard about something I knew would be meaningful. Something I admire about her and makes me proud to be her husband and I told her just before we went to bed. I could tell it meant a lot to her.

The reason I am sharing this story with the class is I feel like communication is the point of failure for a great number of relationships. We are sometimes very fast on the trigger to communicate our dissatisfaction but a little slower to communicate to our spouse/SO that which makes us happy. I don't think I've all-out neglected this in my marriage, but I definitely should put more effort into positive communication.

It's easy to complain. Taking the effort to communicate to your spouse/SO the positive things in your life is a little more difficult. But it's definitely worth the effort.
Good thinking! That principal applies in many areas of life. But it is so important to recognize in marriage. Imma borrow that thought.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:19 PM

1,751 posts, read 3,688,178 times
Quote:
Go figure. The librarian gives me homework...
I refrained from giving you a list of books to read on the subject, but if you're going to be a wise guy, you can start with

Have you Filled a Bucket Today? by Carol McCloud
and
The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman

Old 08-22-2013, 06:22 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,999,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
I refrained from giving you a list of books to read on the subject, but if you're going to be a wise guy, you can start with

Have you Filled a Bucket Today? by Carol McCloud
and
The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman

What day is my book report due?

Old 08-22-2013, 06:24 PM

City Data has a nifty feature. If you click on My Settings, and roll down to click on Edit Ignore List, then type in the name of a member, it will block that member's postings from being displayed to you.

Yes, I realize this is the opposite of communication.

Try it!

Old 08-22-2013, 06:25 PM

Quote:
What day is my book report due?
No book report, the only assessment you need to present is a happy spouse.

Old 08-22-2013, 06:27 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,213,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by librarySue View Post
Okay, now your assignment is to make your spouse feel that good EVERY DAY, so that when that negative issue pops up, you'll have credit in the bank.
i wish there was some kind of goodwill bank,,, i use to think there was one,,until the monthly pms bank robber arrived... no matter how much goodwill you have banked- its gone,,,,and gone with attitude!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships