Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 01:18 PM

878 posts, read 942,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post
^Thanks for the ego boost
appreciate the "seal of approval"

You'd be surprised (or maybe not) by how many guys I've run into on online sites
who in their profiles & msgs. proclaim they have *no* views on the issues (such as worship & voting).
It astounds me, how they can have no stance or attitude towards stuff that matters, and impacts all our lives.

I'm not asking for dense policy analysis, that's above my head-
but for goodness' sakes, let me know if you agree or disagree with me-
so I can determine whether we'd be compatible.

People who pretend to have no opinion,
in my opinion, *do* have opinions,
they're just not even self-aware enough to realize what they think/feel.
I think they know *exactly* what their opinions are, they don't express them for fear of alienating. At my age, I don't care. If you don't like how I am, go away. Got no time for haggling over that stuff. That's why the FIRST requirement is the woman must be the same kind of crazy as me.

Delbert McClinton Same Kind of Crazy SBC12-2 - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 07:35 PM

832 posts, read 1,417,489 times
  1. Is communism a better alternative to capitalism? Yes.
  2. Affirmative action is a good idea. No.
  3. Should more money be put into the public school system? No.
  4. Should we have universal healthcare? Yes.
  5. The environment should be sacrificed for economic progress. No.
  6. Should immigration laws be relaxed? No.
  7. Is global warming/climate change real? No.
  8. Should we have the death penalty for murder? treason? rape of a minor? rape? drug trafficking? No.
  9. Should law enforcement officers be tougher or more lenient on offenders? No.
  10. Should same-sex marriage be legal? No.
  11. Should women have the right to an abortion on demand for any reason? No.
  12. Should religious education be taught in school? No.
  13. Should hunting for sport be legal? No.
  14. Should marijuana be legalized? No.
  15. The United State's involvement in Iraq was justified. No.
  16. If it's part of their culture, and the animals are killed humanely, people should be allowed to eat dogs. No.
  17. A man should always pay for the date. No.
  18. Boys and girls should be treated the same. Yes.
  19. votes/supports another political party than you do. No.

I'm perfectly fine with most differences, but there are some that I consider fundamental to my core as a being and as an American.

For me the biggest deal breaker is trying to change me as a person, or running under the assumption that because I don't agree with you, that I'm wrong. I'm not saying anyone who disagrees with my deal breakers is wrong, it's just that because some ideals are so inherent to my core, I can not be fully happy with someone who doesn't feel the same.

Communism and universal health care go hand in hand in my mind. So that's why they're both deal breakers. I feel very strongly that taking care of yourself and others should be an individual choice. People often think that because I don't think healthcare is a right, that I must want to see people die. Absolutely not true. But I do not want the government passing a law forcing me to take care of someone else. I will take care of who I want to take care of because I'm a human and I make that choice of my own free will.

I would gladly see 5% of my pay go to health care for others if I knew that they weren't charging people $5.00 for a bandaid, that my money was actually going to the target instead of being blown on operating costs and that I'm not being forced to pay for someone's life to be unnecessarily prolonged. The 50 year old nobel prize winning alcoholic does not deserve my liver. A 6 year old child with a life ahead of them who did not make the decisions which would end their life short? Here you go kid, have my liver and may you do great things I never could. But even if you decide to be a basement dweller playing on the computer all day, it's still your life to come. Mine is over and so should the alcy's be.

And as for boys and girls... just ugh. We are not the same. Period.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:25 AM

1,503 posts, read 1,856,149 times
Quote:
^Thanks for the ego boost
appreciate the "seal of approval"

You'd be surprised (or maybe not) by how many guys I've run into on online sites
who in their profiles & msgs. proclaim they have *no* views on the issues (such as worship & voting).
It astounds me, how they can have no stance or attitude towards stuff that matters, and impacts all our lives.

I'm not asking for dense policy analysis, that's above my head-
but for goodness' sakes, let me know if you agree or disagree with me-
so I can determine whether we'd be compatible.

People who pretend to have no opinion,
in my opinion, *do* have opinions,
they're just not even self-aware enough to realize what they think/feel.
No views at all is worse than disagreeing. How can you be so ignorant, so unwilling to THINK about anything in the world, so as not to have any opinion at all on it??

Old 08-26-2013, 08:41 AM

151 posts, read 210,859 times
Usually, I like to hang out with people who have the same political affiliation as me. I can't be friends with someone who has polar opposites views, it just does not work.

However, if I feel as though our views are only different on issues such as economy, I'll probably be friends with them. Social issues are more decisive though.

Same, I'd never date someone who has completely different political views. But you never know ... I don't want to judge people based on their political affiliation unless they're crazy fanatics.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:57 AM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Should same-sex marriage be legal?

Yes

Should hunting for sport be legal?

No

The United State's involvement in Iraq was justified

No, but if somebody trash the military, I'd trash them back

If it's part of their culture, and the animals are killed humanely, people should be allowed to eat dogs

No

A man should always pay for the date

No, but if a man says no and is very passionate about the subject, in my experience, he is just making excuse of being a cheap ass.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Other than the above, I can care less about other subjects.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:04 AM

52,249 posts, read 52,668,250 times
There are a lot of hot button items listed there, some more important that others, obviously.....

Old 08-26-2013, 09:34 AM

1,503 posts, read 1,856,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NolitaAvenue View Post
Usually, I like to hang out with people who have the same political affiliation as me. I can't be friends with someone who has polar opposites views, it just does not work.

However, if I feel as though our views are only different on issues such as economy, I'll probably be friends with them. Social issues are more decisive though.

Same, I'd never date someone who has completely different political views. But you never know ... I don't want to judge people based on their political affiliation unless they're crazy fanatics.
I'm married, but actually somewhat the opposite...the economic views are more important to me.

Social issues are "personal" issues in my mind. Economics affects everyone.

Example - if I personally oppose abortion, and it's legal, I can still choose not to have one. However, if I oppose a particular tax, I can't just decide not to pay it.

Not saying social issues don't matter. I'm married anyway, just saying in general.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:58 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,199,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
1. What about if both parties discuss the possibility of an unplanned pregnancy before having sex and then the woman changes her mind and does something other than what both of them agreed on doing beforehand? Also, do you support giving men an opt-out from paying child support?

2. Please don't use terms such as anti-choice. We are not against all choices, just against the choice whether or not to abort (in most cases). Also, even if I was pro-choice, in regards to a woman telling me that she would terminate her pregnancy if she accidentally got pregnant after having sex with me, I would be extremely hesitant to take her word for it since she can always change her mind and screw me over for 18/21 years.

1. That's the chance the man takes. If he wants to make sure there are no children, he puts on two condoms that he bought, he makes sure the woman uses a spermicide, and after sex, he disposes of the condoms himself. If he knows he never wants children, he gets a vasectomy. I've said in other threads that if I were a man, I would not sleep around the way some guys on here would like us to believe they do, because of situations like that. If there is a mishap, your fate is in someone else's hands, so choose where you put Mr. Happy very, very carefully. Once your sperm meets her egg, your choices are over. You may not like it, but that's the reality of it.

2. I will use whatever term I feel describes the sentiment most accurately. People who want to outlaw or restrict abortion or make it very difficult for a woman to obtain one are anti-choice: They want to take a woman's choice away.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:05 AM

2,757 posts, read 4,000,861 times
Okay, the last one

If he was an arrogant, cold hearted Conservative (not saying that all Conservatives are, but enough of them, imho), it's a deal-breaker.

I want a man who genuinely cares about those less fortunate. Hopefully, his actions (giving to others, etc.) would speak louder than words. Of course, he should be wise in his giving ...

Really, it would be difficult for me to be interested in a Conservative AT ALL, no matter how nice he seemed.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:07 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,199,673 times
Quote:
Being pro-choice and pro-legalization are absolutely mandatory requirements for me.
Atheism or something close to it is necessary, too.
And if he wants kids, that ain't gonna' happen with me, so he'd best move on...

If the guy wasn't on board with those then we'd detest each other anyway,
there'd be zero chance for any involvement/relationship.

I can't "check my politics" at the bedroom door,
'cause the political is personal, in my book.
Same here. I couldn't be with a man who works against everything I work for, and works for everything I work against. (I'm assuming he cares. The apathy vote doesn't do much for me, either, though. I do think it's a citizen's responsibility to be aware of the world and vote.) And yeah, I take the abortion issue personally. I would not want to be with a man who would, given his druthers, use the government to force me to carry an unwanted pregnancy to term. I'm getting nauseated just thinking about it--and I've never been pregnant!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships