Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 10:08 AM

1,503 posts, read 1,856,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
Okay, the last one

If he was an arrogant, cold hearted Conservative (not saying that all Conservatives are, but enough of them, imho), it's a deal-breaker.

I want a man who genuinely cares about those less fortunate. Hopefully, his actions (giving to others, etc.) would speak louder than words. Of course, he should be wise in his giving ...

Really, it would be difficult for me to be interested in a Conservative AT ALL, no matter how nice he seemed.
Most conservatives give to charities and believe in helping the less fortunate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 10:30 AM

10,855 posts, read 6,370,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
1. That's the chance the man takes. If he wants to make sure there are no children, he puts on two condoms that he bought, he makes sure the woman uses a spermicide, and after sex, he disposes of the condoms himself. If he knows he never wants children, he gets a vasectomy. I've said in other threads that if I were a man, I would not sleep around the way some guys on here would like us to believe they do, because of situations like that. If there is a mishap, your fate is in someone else's hands, so choose where you put Mr. Happy very, very carefully. Once your sperm meets her egg, your choices are over. You may not like it, but that's the reality of it.

2. I will use whatever term I feel describes the sentiment most accurately. People who want to outlaw or restrict abortion or make it very difficult for a woman to obtain one are anti-choice: They want to take a woman's choice away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilac110 View Post
Same here. I couldn't be with a man who works against everything I work for, and works for everything I work against. (I'm assuming he cares. The apathy vote doesn't do much for me, either, though. I do think it's a citizen's responsibility to be aware of the world and vote.) And yeah, I take the abortion issue personally. I would not want to be with a man who would, given his druthers, use the government to force me to carry an unwanted pregnancy to term. I'm getting nauseated just thinking about it--and I've never been pregnant!
Don't want to tangent this thread onto this single topic,
so I'll just say "thanks", and rep you

Old 08-26-2013, 10:34 AM

2,757 posts, read 4,001,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrueRulz View Post
I really didn't know that. I don't get out much, and most folks I know aren't Conservatives.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:36 AM

5,460 posts, read 7,760,530 times
Quote:
True, but most modern (fiscal) conservatives' stance of wanting to de-fund, privatize, or altogether eliminate social safety net programs designed to help the poor in a concrete way, such as Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, etc., does not help their cause as being seen to care about the less-fortunate. I honestly think that it may not have potentially dawned on a lot of conventional conservatives that there is nothing wrong with, and it doesn't make a person any less socially-conservative, to be socially-conservative and economically-liberal, both at the same time...

Old 08-26-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soda120 View Post
I really didn't know that. I don't get out much, and most folks I know aren't Conservatives.
Try it sometime. Although I usually identify as leaning more to the libertarian than traditionally conservative side, I still identify with the basic ideas of conservatism in most respects, so I use both terms.

We're pretty cool people, actually.

I'm used to being around mostly liberals, being from Southern California originally. Although I'm from OC, which traditionally is quite a bit more right-leaning, I still seemed to mostly associate with liberals.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
True, but most modern (fiscal) conservatives' stance of wanting to de-fund, privatize, or altogether eliminate social safety net programs designed to help the poor in a concrete way, such as Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, etc., does not help their cause as being seen to care about the less-fortunate. I honestly think that it may not have potentially dawned on a lot of conventional conservatives that there is nothing wrong with, and it doesn't make a person any less socially-conservative, to be socially-conservative and economically-liberal, both at the same time...
I'm actually somewhat the opposite (economically conservative, socially moderate).

I'll say my piece then get back on-topic:

In the US, we cannot afford it as a nation. We can talk all we want about helping people, when we borrow FORTY CENTS of every dollar, we can't afford it. Oh, and it was Obamacare that took money from Medicare.

Forced charity in the form of taxation is not charity.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:16 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,196,330 times
Quote:
I'm actually somewhat the opposite (economically conservative, socially moderate).

I'll say my piece then get back on-topic:

In the US, we cannot afford it as a nation. We can talk all we want about helping people, when we borrow FORTY CENTS of every dollar, we can't afford it. Oh, and it was Obamacare that took money from Medicare.

Forced charity in the form of taxation is not charity.
We could afford much of it if we had not gone into Iraq and now also have all the expenses of taking care of those seriously injured troops for the rest of their lives. Don't get me wrong. They deserve it, but when are we going to get smarter and not invade nations that did nothing to us.

It is called learning from the past and our politicians in Wash DC are seriously impaired in their ability (or lack of) to do that. You should also mention that as a reason we are borrowing 40 cents on the dollar! Thank you for sharing.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:59 PM

770 posts, read 1,177,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Say you meet a man/woman who seems attractive, and you get to talking about your views on various controversial issues...I'm curious, if he/she disagreed with you on them, which ones (list all that would be deal breakers) would automatically write them off?

Is communism a better alternative to capitalism? not a deal breaker

Affirmative action is a good idea not a deal breaker

Should more money be put into the public school system? not a deal breaker

Should we have universal healthcare? not a deal breaker

The environment should be sacrificed for economic progress ~This would be minus points, but not a deal breaker

Should immigration laws be relaxed? not a deal breaker

Is global warming/climate change real? ~I'd lose respect for anyone who would have to ask this. I can't date someone who doesn't believe in science (an idiot imo), so yeah, deal breaker.

Should we have the death penalty for murder? treason? rape of a minor? rape? drug trafficking? Not a deal breaker

Should law enforcement officers be tougher or more lenient on offenders? Not a deal breaker

Should same-sex marriage be legal? Deal breaker if they are against it

Should women have the right to an abortion on demand for any reason? Deal breaker if against abortion

Should religious education be taught in school? Not a deal breaker per se, but I doubt someone who is for this would be compatible with me in terms of beliefs.

Should hunting for sport be legal? Believe in it?-Not a deal breaker. Participate in it?-Deal breaker

Should marijuana be legalized? Not necessarily a deal breaker, but those who are uptight about marijuana use probably wouldn't want to be with me.

The United State's involvement in Iraq was justified Not a deal breaker

If it's part of their culture, and the animals are killed humanely, people should be allowed to eat dogs I just hope this never comes up

A man should always pay for the date Not a deal breaker

Boys and girls should be treated the same Not sure if I completely understand but deal breaker if they don't believe men and women are equal.

votes/supports another political party than you do Not a deal breaker

I thought it'd be easier to phrase them as questions. You can indicate your responses if you wish. Please focus on how their answers would reflect on them as a person in your eyes, and how that would affect how compatible you think they'd be.
yep

Old 11-06-2013, 08:05 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Well I'm just curious how this all plays into the dating realm.
That is a lot of questions. Someone who thinks it is all right to murder babies would be a deal breaker for me. That is a barbaric practice and I don't care to be around barbarians. It would basically tell me they do not value life as humans should, in my opinion.

Old 11-07-2013, 09:35 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,600,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Someone who thinks it is all right to murder babies would be a deal breaker for me.
Drawing a hard line on that one, are we? Controversial!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships