Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2013, 10:11 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,038,065 times

Advertisements

A $300 meal (assuming we're not just talking about a "normal" meal with a spendy bottle of wine) is usually a multi-coursed chef's tasting menu with appropriate wine pairings. It may focus on hard-to-source or esoteric ingrediants, perfect technique (often more modern/cutting edge techniques) and a certain level of "wow" factor. That kind of meal usually lasts a few hours. It's more of an culinary experience than just a meal. It's certainly not for everyone (I dine like this infrequently myself) but for some people, it's worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 10:12 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Can we please leave the Boston food scene posts for another thread?

Old 08-28-2013, 10:13 AM

1,503 posts, read 1,856,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR2012 View Post
As someone mentioned earlier, I recall a lot of dates not being centered on food. I used to work odd hours, so sometimes my dates wouldn't involve eating. Maybe I'd eat at work (he too) or at home then we'd go out. Or we'd meet up in the day. We'd hike instead or go to a movie but not bother with eating. That's possible too I guess.

When I grew up, and where, and about till I was 23 or so, eating out was not something people did that much like they do today, it seems. So it wasn't an issue, people didn't think about it or talk about it. Now with my husband, if we go out sometimes we can just eat at home then go to a game or on a hike or a movie and not go to a dinner. Surely people can find ways to spend time together that do not involve a meal, if it's that much of an issue? But then again, it seems like eating out is a way of life anymore.
Dinner dates to me were more about the conversation, company, and getting a chance to talk. The food was secondary, in that we had to eat anyway so why not combine it with a chance to spend time together? However, the atmosphere of a Burger King isn't too romantic. That's why the fast food date idea sucks.

Some dates were a concert, or some other event. We may or may not have eaten there. Those were the situations where some type of fast food was OK, it wasn't the "date" but rather, grabbing a bite before or after the actual "date" if we didn't eat at home.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:35 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
I believe you mentioned earlier several $300.00 meals. In all sriousness can you give us some examples of what such meal consists of? I am talking about a liitle description such as they type of food, the ingredients, the procees of preparation, the athmosphere and things like that.
I don't remember how much this meal was. But it was damned pricey. It is a pricey joint which we knew going in.

3 cocktails 1 glass wine
steak tartare
oysters on the half shell
for me surf and turf which was filet mignon and a seafood gallette. It was served with fresh, local green beans, creamed spinach and kale. I ordered a side of potatoes.
for him, steak dinner - strip I think. I don't know what it came with since I was in awe of my own meal.

Coffee afterward.

The reason that this place is pricey, despite sounding like something you can get at any Texas Roadhouse, and worth it in my opinion, is the food source and handling. The beef is locally raised, grass fed, organic beef. It is hand aged by the restaurant. Melt in your mouth like butter. And tenderloin, which is usually tender but flavorless, is packed with good beefy flavor. We are totally landlocked. So getting good, fresh seafood is expensive. Your Texas Roadhouses and Outbacks are going to buy their seafood off the Cisco truck likely. Or at best off a boat frozen vessel. There are not too many seafood sources that fish and come to market the same day anymore. And they are expensive.

Yah a lot of people would not pay for this. I nearly died with pleasure. Another recent meal was pate de foi gras, ceviche, caesar salad. I had a game dish. I don't remember what. And he had beef wellington. Having made beef wellington, I am willing to pay someone else to make it. With wine, and this time after dinner drink.... You can see it add up. I don't remember the accoutrement. But it was in a place that is part of the local farm to table program. So it was likely good.

Another time sushi grade sesame seared tuna and the works.

Frick me. I jetted to McD for lunch. And am dreaming of a duck l'orange.

Quote:
I don't have any issue with anyone who can afford to pay for something like that but I believe I might have been misuderstood earlier by some people. I just want to better understand what drives the price of a meal to that amount. I believe it is actually interesting to learn about food and better understand how the cost comes to be.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:07 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigGuy View Post
You do realize you're talking to yourself, right?
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
I believe you mentioned earlier several $300.00 meals. In all sriousness can you give us some examples of what such meal consists of? I am talking about a liitle description such as they type of food, the ingredients, the procees of preparation, the athmosphere and things like that. I don't have any issue with anyone who can afford to pay for something like that but I believe I might have been misuderstood earlier by some people. I just want to better understand what drives the price of a meal to that amount. I believe it is actually interesting to learn about food and better understand how the cost comes to be.
I think we have had 3 meals around $300. The first one was at Nobu in Las Vegas. It was one of the best dining experiences of our lives. The restaurant was lovely and very serene feeling. We had trouble parking and were late for our reservation. They were super nice and understanding about it. Our waiter was probably the best waiter we have ever had. He chose all of our dishes for us with our input here and there. We had a whole bunch of dishes - I don't remember how many. Some of the dishes - spring rolls stuffed with lobster, crab, shrimp, and topped with caviar, miso black cod, high grade sashimi, rock shrimp in a spicy sauce, etc. You also have to be aware that there are differences in quality when you are dealing with, say, fried fish and fries and raw fish that you would serve as sashimi. And the difference is huge when it comes to price - and with good reason. Anyway, we also had sake infused with kiwi and strawberry, dessert, etc. The meal lasted at least a couple hours and was some of the best food we've ever eaten. The whole evening was worth every penny.

The second $300 meal was at a sushi place near our apartment on the UES of Manhattan. This place is known for their innovative sushi and the menu changes each night. We've spent less there but we really splurged one time. Some of the sushi they had was fried oyster sushi, miso glazed sea bass, salmon topped with breaded stewed tomatoes (never would have thought of it but it was delicious), and too many other things to name. Once again - the meal lasted for quite awhile and it was worth every penny.

The other meal I can think of where we spent an arm and a leg was in Kobe, Japan where we got Kobe beef. Need I say more?

If you aren't big into food - of course these meals wouldn't be worth it to you. Or if your favorite meal is a hamburger with fries - this kind of food probably won't appeal to you. And I'm not trying to sound snobby - like I said in another post, my husband's expensive speakers are probably a bit lost on me. I can't appreciate them the way that he does. For instance - I love sushi and sashimi. When we were in Japan, we had fresh tuna near the fish market and it was the best tuna I've ever had. If you don't like raw tuna or if you only have it once and awhile - you might not taste the difference and so paying a lot of money on it wouldn't be worth it to you. And that's not a bad thing or a good thing - it just is what it is.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:19 AM

415 posts, read 599,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I think we have had 3 meals around $300. The first one was at Nobu in Las Vegas. It was one of the best dining experiences of our lives. The restaurant was lovely and very serene feeling. We had trouble parking and were late for our reservation. They were super nice and understanding about it. Our waiter was probably the best waiter we have ever had. He chose all of our dishes for us with our input here and there. We had a whole bunch of dishes - I don't remember how many. Some of the dishes - spring rolls stuffed with lobster, crab, shrimp, and topped with caviar, miso black cod, high grade sashimi, rock shrimp in a spicy sauce, etc. You also have to be aware that there are differences in quality when you are dealing with, say, fried fish and fries and raw fish that you would serve as sashimi. And the difference is huge when it comes to price - and with good reason. Anyway, we also had sake infused with kiwi and strawberry, dessert, etc. The meal lasted at least a couple hours and was some of the best food we've ever eaten. The whole evening was worth every penny.

The second $300 meal was at a sushi place near our apartment on the UES of Manhattan. This place is known for their innovative sushi and the menu changes each night. We've spent less there but we really splurged one time. Some of the sushi they had was fried oyster sushi, miso glazed sea bass, salmon topped with breaded stewed tomatoes (never would have thought of it but it was delicious), and too many other things to name. Once again - the meal lasted for quite awhile and it was worth every penny.

The other meal I can think of where we spent an arm and a leg was in Kobe, Japan where we got Kobe beef. Need I say more?

If you aren't big into food - of course these meals wouldn't be worth it to you. Or if your favorite meal is a hamburger with fries - this kind of food probably won't appeal to you. And I'm not trying to sound snobby - like I said in another post, my husband's expensive speakers are probably a bit lost on me. I can't appreciate them the way that he does. For instance - I love sushi and sashimi. When we were in Japan, we had fresh tuna near the fish market and it was the best tuna I've ever had. If you don't like raw tuna or if you only have it once and awhile - you might not taste the difference and so paying a lot of money on it wouldn't be worth it to you. And that's not a bad thing or a good thing - it just is what it is.
I'm not gonna spend $300 on a first date. Who do I look like, Rupert Murdoch?

Old 08-28-2013, 11:23 AM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times
Quote:
I'm not gonna spend $300 on a first date. Who do I look like, Rupert Murdoch?
Did I say anything about a first date? I would never want someone to spend that much on me on a first date. I would feel like he was trying to buy me or show off - neither one of those things is appealing to me. Two of those meals my husband and I went to while we were married - and the first one we went to after we had been dating for about 6 months or so. We've also been to Nobu and the sushi place other times and not spent nearly as much. Those were splurges - but they were worth it to us.

Someone asked me to talk about some of the $300 meals I've had - so I did so. There's a whole world out there between fast food and the creme de la creme.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:29 AM

2,765 posts, read 3,629,322 times
Quote:

Those sure sound like very sophisticated meals, I am a little rough around the edges and probably wouldn't fit in a setting like that but it sounds good. I like some seafood but not all, I'm more like a meat and potatoes type of guy. I suppose I could have a meal like that on a very special ocassion but I don' know for sure. I do see that people here seem to have a confusing idea of fast food. I'm not sure what fast food really is if I go by what some people here say.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:34 AM

415 posts, read 599,769 times
Quote:
Did I say anything about a first date? I would never want someone to spend that much on me on a first date. I would feel like he was trying to buy me or show off - neither one of those things is appealing to me. Two of those meals my husband and I went to while we were married - and the first one we went to after we had been dating for about 6 months or so. We've also been to Nobu and the sushi place other times and not spent nearly as much. Those were splurges - but they were worth it to us.

Someone asked me to talk about some of the $300 meals I've had - so I did so. There's a whole world out there between fast food and the creme de la creme.
Your man only was dating you for 6 months but he's already spending $300 on dinner? It's the same reason for a guy spending $300 on the first date: he was trying to buy you and show off. Judging by the fact that you married him it looks like it worked. If he had known you for a year then that wouldn't be so bad, maybe. But only 6 months and already $300 for a date? Wow. Talk about low self-esteem.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:38 AM

29,744 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
Your man only was dating you for 6 months but he's already spending $300 on dinner? It's the same reason for a guy spending $300 on the first date: he was trying to buy you and show off. Judging by the fact that you married him it looks like it worked. If he had known you for a year then that wouldn't be so bad, maybe. But only 6 months and already $300 for a date? Wow. Talk about low self-esteem.
What are you even trying to prove here anymore? She mentioned outright that that kind of dining is a rare occurrence, and so what? For some people $300 for a wonderful dinner is nothing. There's no shame in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships