Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2013, 04:29 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wuss in Boots View Post
If 35K is a big deal, there's a lot of poor people here
I was just thinking the same thing. My car cost more than that.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:09 PM

4,217 posts, read 7,300,562 times
Someone commented on my post on page one that if a man really loves a women, he shows her by taking care of her financially and paying off her debt.

Was this for real?

Could not read the hopeful intended sarcasm...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 08:40 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,228,051 times
I had 40k in debt from 2 divorces, the one caught up to me, I had it paid off in a year so it depends on the income.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:43 PM

4,463 posts, read 6,228,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findly185 View Post
Someone commented on my post on page one that if a man really loves a women, he shows her by taking care of her financially and paying off her debt.

Was this for real?

Could not read the hopeful intended sarcasm...
Im sure it was, if it wasn't then he deserves some sort of Darwin award. Just like "real men" support other mens children, no they don't lol.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:21 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,993,765 times
Something no-one seems to have mentioned:

If she pushes her body, e.g. working while being a fulltime grad student, she runs a very real risk of making herself unable to work for the rest of her life, due to her disability.

She may be wise to pace herself -- it may result in her bringing in the most income long term.

Old 08-28-2013, 10:23 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,249,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
Something no-one seems to have mentioned:

If she pushes her body, e.g. working while being a fulltime grad student, she runs a very real risk of making herself unable to work for the rest of her life, due to her disability.

She may be wise to pace herself -- it may be the choice that results in her bringing in the most income long term.
I thought of that earlier. I believe she might enjoy a co-op. A job that will allow her to gain useful experience that is relevant to her degree.

I see no value in pushing her to wait tables.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:01 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,375,836 times
Without knowing exactly what or how bad the disease is its hard to say

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Old 08-29-2013, 05:18 AM

11,395 posts, read 24,447,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Well, you cannot escape them, so if you have no job (or are underemployed) there's very little reason not to defer them.

Except for the interest thing you mentioned, and as I said, you can pay that while the loan is deferred, if you have an unsubsidized loan and it is accruing interest.

I bet yours could've been deferred or had a forbearance applied to it if it was a federal loan.

Not true of any sort of private loan. They are wicked.

ETA: If I was only 35k in debt in SLs, I'd do an IBR. They base it on whatever income you have. The payments would be tiny if all she has is a small disability check.
This is all correct. Federal Student loans are easy to adjust based on income and interest does not accrue if they're temporarily deferred.

I think the OP is all freaked out over misinformation and is probably looking for excuses to break things off with his GF. People worry about manageable debt all the time.

And no, her debt does not necessarily his when they marry. Income based repayment can be set to reflect her income alone, even if they get married.

And just because she's not working now does not mean she'll never work. Again, the OP does not have much faith in this woman or in her abilities.

If I were her, I'd be questioning the strength of this so-called relationship.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:45 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,476,977 times
She is about to get her Masters Degree, that is significant. One day she will find a good paying job. You cannot expect her to have some high paying job right out of school. Do you live together? If not maybe you should consider doing it and pooling your funds. One day you will look back to this time and realize you were worried about something you didn't need to worry about. ALL students with high degrees come out of school with a lot of financial debt, give it some time.

Old 08-29-2013, 05:52 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,913,300 times
I know of several cases now of young women who get pregnant and then think they have no responsibility but to take care of the baby. So the husband ends up not just bringing home the bacon, but also the shopping, cleaning cooking, etc. She may be well one of these women that think that a "real man" takes care of her. So, I'd advise you to tell her to get a job, share the expenses or move out. Texas has lots of jobs. I'm sure she could find teaching job in Texas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships