Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 12:36 AM

2,386 posts, read 3,269,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnatomicflux View Post
Are people even allowed to maintain their own Ferrari's? Forget that noise.

Give me my rugged old 1991 Jeep any day. Sure, she's been around the block a few times, had an abusive partener before me, but she never lets me down, no matter what rickety old trail I take her down. So long as I give her what she needs, and treat her right, she is by my side 100%.
The only time she gives me grief, is when I've neglected her in some way. Sometimes issues arise from her previous relationship, but that's okay. I take care of it.

People stare when we're running around town with her top off too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 07:55 AM

5,987 posts, read 10,470,434 times
Most new cars - and new relationships - lose their lustre after a year or two. They still get you there, but you may start thinking of a trade-in. Of course, sometimes you stay in love with your car/relationship even as it gets old and worn and needs tune-ups and body work - it just feels right.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:33 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,301,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Absolutely.

Would you buy a car without checking all those things? I think not. Could be a big problem down the road (and that was a double entendre)!
Well, I'm dang sure not going to leave her with my mechanic for a few hours so he can tinker under the hood and let me know how she performed....

I think your OP is a pretty good analogy, and (I've only read the first page, so forgive if this has been said) is a pretty good illustration of how one can be a little more objective about things. Sure, there is emotion, and a lot of other things involved, but there is a very strong "practical" element to finding, maintaining and nurturing a relationship.

I do have to say that my twisted mind has thought of a million innuendo filled euphamisms. Like I said, I haven't read all replies yet, but once discussed, this could really be a fun thread.

Old 08-29-2013, 11:39 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,301,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
What about all the perfectly serviceable cars, some in quite good condition, like new, that are on the lot, but never get noticed by prospective buyers?
Some people are more practical than others:

Some want a car to get them from point A to point B. Those same people probably want a stable spouse to invest in a house with, raise their children with, go to church with, and whatnot.

Some people want a car to be seen in, "the Fararri" if you will. Those same people probably want a spouse to be seen with, to climb upwardly on the social ladder with, and to hug the curves and bring it home with a lot of adreinalin with.

I think Meh's analogy still stands. (and of course, there ARE differences between humans and machines, but it's an analogy, not a genetic replica. Sheesh to all you nay-sayers. the point is valid...)

Old 08-29-2013, 02:27 PM

4,320 posts, read 5,137,674 times
Bad analogy with abusive repercussions.

A guy could buy one beater car after another, use and abuse them all for years before finally splurging on a 2013 Tesla, Aston Martin or whatnot and committing to that vehicle.

I always had too much conscience and sympathy to treat cars or women like that.

Old 08-29-2013, 02:35 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,001,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
I once told my wife she was like a pristine muscle car. Not to be driven every night, but when I do, it's going to be hard and wild!

Old 08-29-2013, 03:36 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,892,503 times
I always use the car analogy to discuss dating because it really does fit. We don't want to admit it but some people are Ferrari's and some are Pinto's but most fall in between, just like most people when they buy a car look either in the cheap used to cheaper new. Case in point in 2005 I decided to buy a new car. I had never had a new car before and wanted one I liked. I hypothetically could have bought a Mustang or a car in that range (and considered it)but decided that I really wanted a Ford Focus. I had read how well Focus ran and the pay was something I could handle and then some. However, when I bought it I had some requirements for buying a car, such as the car had to be air conditioned and have power windows. When I saw my car it had those plus many other options and the price was cheaper than I expected because it was end of car season (It was August). It's long paid off and runs well even now.

Compare that to dating. I could possibly get the male version of a Ferrari but likely not because a male Ferrari would be someone who possesses everything, such as great job, handsome, etc. Likely someone like this wouldn't look at me now (though would have years ago). I could possibly find say the male version of a Mustang (weird comparing people to cars)but in return I would possibly have to give up something I feel strongly about. Instead I stuck to my requirements and found someone fitting those but with other issues that I hadn't anticipated. Oh sure I could trade up so to speak and could find a guy with better looks and more money but in return I would have to give up something, like my dream of a childless man.

Old 08-29-2013, 03:37 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
Well, I'm dang sure not going to leave her with my mechanic for a few hours so he can tinker under the hood and let me know how she performed....

I think your OP is a pretty good analogy, and (I've only read the first page, so forgive if this has been said) is a pretty good illustration of how one can be a little more objective about things. Sure, there is emotion, and a lot of other things involved, but there is a very strong "practical" element to finding, maintaining and nurturing a relationship.

I do have to say that my twisted mind has thought of a million innuendo filled euphamisms. Like I said, I haven't read all replies yet, but once discussed, this could really be a fun thread.
I have thought of just as many, I bet. This is how my mind works when I let it ramble.

Old 08-29-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I always use the car analogy to discuss dating because it really does fit. We don't want to admit it but some people are Ferrari's and some are Pinto's but most fall in between, just like most people when they buy a car look either in the cheap used to cheaper new. Case in point in 2005 I decided to buy a new car. I had never had a new car before and wanted one I liked. I hypothetically could have bought a Mustang or a car in that range (and considered it)but decided that I really wanted a Ford Focus. I had read how well Focus ran and the pay was something I could handle and then some. However, when I bought it I had some requirements for buying a car, such as the car had to be air conditioned and have power windows. When I saw my car it had those plus many other options and the price was cheaper than I expected because it was end of car season (It was August). It's long paid off and runs well even now.

Compare that to dating. I could possibly get the male version of a Ferrari but likely not because a male Ferrari would be someone who possesses everything, such as great job, handsome, etc. Likely someone like this wouldn't look at me now (though would have years ago). I could possibly find say the male version of a Mustang (weird comparing people to cars)but in return I would possibly have to give up something I feel strongly about. Instead I stuck to my requirements and found someone fitting those but with other issues that I hadn't anticipated. Oh sure I could trade up so to speak and could find a guy with better looks and more money but in return I would have to give up something, like my dream of a childless man.
Yes. It's all about choices and what you're willing to give or give up to get a different selection.

Old 08-29-2013, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Bad analogy with abusive repercussions.

A guy could buy one beater car after another, use and abuse them all for years before finally splurging on a 2013 Tesla, Aston Martin or whatnot and committing to that vehicle.

And this is why the analogy does work.

You have choices. You choose not to buy a beater. You want to hold out for the higher-end sports car.

So, while you are waiting... are you getting all your financials in order to make it happen? Are you learning about what it takes to operate one of these fine driving machines? Are you considering the maintenance? Do you have a proper garage?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships