Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you settle (marry) Mr. or Ms. "Good Enough"?
Yes 17 41.46%
No 24 58.54%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 06:53 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,200,750 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
Everyone settles. They just may not realize it.

Since no one is a perfect match (what IS perfect anyway?), and since you can never know whether or not you'd find someone better (maybe this person IS as good as it gets for you), then at some point you have to decide to commit or wait. OP is correct.

Since we don't necessarily realize that a person isn't a perfect match (they may be far better than anyone else previously, so relatively, they are), we can easily assure ourselves that the person we choose is the ideal choice.

Time will tell, and hindsight is clearer than foresight. Some will, of course, have chosen the best realistically possible match, and will continue to be happy with their choice. Others .... Well, we've seen the outcomes!
People are reading too much into what "settling" is. No one is perfect; that is understood. But, when you look at your partner and feel your heart swell with love and you cant imagine your life without him/her, you cant imagine not touching their..bodies..etc etc... it's not settling because that person doesn't pick up his socks or something. There are always gonna be little stuff like that between couples. Settling is when you KNOW in your heart that you don't have that feeling I just described for your partner, but you think he or she is..well..nice enough and has a decent job at least. That is settling.

The fact that down the line you guys may end up hating each other doesn't mean you 'settled' in the beginning, because that person WAS what you wanted at the time. I dated someone that was 'nice enough' about 5 yrs ago. He was cute and nice enough..but there was just no spark there. It was like I was dating a buddy. I didn't look at him and think, this man makes my heart go pitter patter. It was just..meh...nice enough guy. Now, this guy really liked me, but I had to tell him the truth. If I had let things go on, THEN I would have been settling, and that would not have been fair to me or him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2013, 07:14 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,003,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasteslikepurple View Post
I'm at an age where I've finished my education, found a good job, and many people ( basically my mom ) are waiting for me to get a ring and push out a kid.
I understand all that sounds good. I just don't want to settle. I want that spark. He has to be a millionaire.
Those who marry for money, earn every penny of it. There is no free lunch.
While we are on the topic, you'd better be drop-dead gorgeous trophy wife material to expect one who advertises his wealth to want to marry you, most of them are only in the leasing or renting business.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:35 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,523,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrmlyBklyn View Post
Those who marry for money, earn every penny of it. There is no free lunch.
While we are on the topic, you'd better be drop-dead gorgeous trophy wife material to expect one who advertises his wealth to want to marry you, most of them are only in the leasing or renting business.
This is true. I do know of one such "trophy" wife in particular (several decades younger than her well-off spouse, no education, skills or smarts to speak of, or means of supporting herself financially), and the singular thing she has/had going for her is/was her age and youth. I saw a pic not too long ago after not having seen her for a few years, and, well, lets just say that her looks are middling at best, aided by a lot of expensive spit and polish, but even at that rate, it's glaringly evident that she needs to work a little harder at the upkeep. Her spouse's MO is to marry 'em, and then dump 'em for the next admin ass't./intern/temp as soon as they don't look 26 anymore. Shelf life's a brutal thing. I think that she thought once he married her, the deal was sealed, which is stupid, given the number of divorces he's racked up, including the one he was in when he was screwing around with her. Thing is, she's not even drop-dead gorgeous. But, he's old. And has a limited attention span.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:36 PM

947 posts, read 1,186,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
Do you see what I wrote as negative? I don't think it is at all.

But contrary to what a lot of people seem to believe, you cannot just will or pray or visualize your way into a new reality. Objective reality exists, and it is what it is. To believe otherwise is to engage in magical thinking.
Nobody should even care about meeting "the" perfect match ever, I only want the perfect match for me.

Everyone is flawed, and flaws make things interesting. 100% perfect would seem inhumane

Old 08-29-2013, 08:46 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,523,977 times
Not to mention mythological.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:49 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,003,899 times
Avoid the red flags and you won't be settling. Ignore the red flags at your own peril.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:18 PM

348 posts, read 549,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrocket2 View Post
There was an book a while ago:
Marry Him: The Case for Settling for Mr. Good Enough: Lori Gottlieb: 0971485789561: Amazon.com: Books

directed towards women, but the author argues how "Good enough" can be better than risking a possible alternative - waiting too long and getting to a point where you spend the rest of your life alone and lonely...
I've seen interviews with this author and the problem is really the title. It shouldn't be about 'settling' rather acknowledging one's own flaws and not expecting your partner to be perfect either.

What one thinks they deserve or are entitled to is irrelevant to dating. As I've often said, one has to consider what they bring to the table and what type of effort they are putting in to finding someone. Also, having preferences and dealbreakers are good and normal, but being too specific and picky can severely limit oneself. I prefer women shorter than me, however my last LTR was with a girl taller than me.

Again, as I've said, I have a few female friends who are way to picky in a specific way, and don't consider for one second what they really bring to the table. Or more importantly, they overrate certain characteristics (their job is less important to a guy than it is vice versa) and underrate others (men aren't trying to control you, but mellow is a good thing).

So it's not about settling, it's about getting over oneself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerFall View Post
People are reading too much into what "settling" is. No one is perfect; that is understood. But, when you look at your partner and feel your heart swell with love and you cant imagine your life without him/her, you cant imagine not touching their..bodies..etc etc... it's not settling because that person doesn't pick up his socks or something. There are always gonna be little stuff like that between couples. Settling is when you KNOW in your heart that you don't have that feeling I just described for your partner, but you think he or she is..well..nice enough and has a decent job at least. That is settling.

The fact that down the line you guys may end up hating each other doesn't mean you 'settled' in the beginning, because that person WAS what you wanted at the time. I dated someone that was 'nice enough' about 5 yrs ago. He was cute and nice enough..but there was just no spark there. It was like I was dating a buddy. I didn't look at him and think, this man makes my heart go pitter patter. It was just..meh...nice enough guy. Now, this guy really liked me, but I had to tell him the truth. If I had let things go on, THEN I would have been settling, and that would not have been fair to me or him.
Well said.

Old 08-29-2013, 09:54 PM

4,194 posts, read 4,445,730 times
There should be a curricula for health education classes of required reading such as this book. I think the sooner youthful mythological prince / princess thoughts of Mr. Perfect get re oriented to finding a compatible or complimentary person in type and mindset etc... the better off each gender would be.

The expectations of Mr / Ms Perfect etc... are best shown (humorously) as Robert Redford's character in the classic Twilight Zone episode "Nothing In The Dark" - I know its taken out of context, but I think it drives home a point that those waiting for Mr / Ms Perfect - won't find him /her until the 'angel of death' comes for them.

Nothing in the Dark - Twilight Zone (2/2) - YouTube

Finding a mate is IMO a lucky confluence of timing to actually meet someone of opposite gender who has same type of desires / outlook / priorities in life when you happen to cross paths with them and you find them passing your individual threshold of attractiveness. It's all percentages. You can increase your percentages of finding someone if you increase your velocity and volume of people met in different environments in a quality manner without expectations.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:19 AM

2 posts, read 1,591 times
Y'all are crazy. Exactly 1/2 of people who get married settle. The other 1/2 reach. No couple is made of equals. If you want to be a reacher, and deal with what is entailed with that, go for it. If you want to have your ass kissed a little bit, settle.

Old 08-30-2013, 05:38 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,939,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasteslikepurple View Post
Next time i promise i´ll use one of those dreaded emoticons, so you can get it´s a joke.

Seriously though, what is this <3? It doesn't look like a heart at all. I'd always assumed it was a very inappropriate symbol.
JJ was just playing. She got your funny post.

We still <3 u hahaha!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships