Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2013, 08:14 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,706,969 times

Advertisements

No physical interaction? Haha I'll pass
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2013, 09:07 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddy1316 View Post
Boom. Don't sugarcoat it. There are hot guys everywhere and you want to get in on the college action. It's fine, but don't blame distance. You'd probably be feeling the same way if he lived in a dorm across campus. Don't rationalize to yourself (although it's an easy out.....until he moves closer) that its the long distance.
Eh... no. I've been where the OP is/was. The appeal of those temptations is MUCH greater when you're hours apart and don't see each other for weeks/months at a time versus "across campus." When my then-GF and I finally did live in the same town -- a Big Ten town mind you where "easy" temptations in our age group were exceedingly plentiful -- after living apart for years, the appeal of those temptations dropped massively. "Temptation magnification" is only one of many sources of strain inherent to a LDR.

Old 09-09-2013, 09:44 PM

10,855 posts, read 6,365,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
If you want a non-LDR, you have three options:

1) Move to where he is

2) Have him move to where you are

3) Break it off with him and find someone locally.

There's really no other way around it.
This^ sums it up well.

LDRs are certainly no easy thing,
yet when one can't find a compatible person with whom one has chemistry in the nearby environs,
one searches farther afield...ending up in a LDR.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:00 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloven View Post
This^ sums it up well.

LDRs are certainly no easy thing,
yet when one can't find a compatible person with whom one has chemistry in the nearby environs,
one searches farther afield...ending up in a LDR.
I would think many if not most LDRs start off locally but then one moves for some reason or other. That's how I ended up in a LDR and it sounds like that's what happened to the OP too. Anyway OP did the wise thing anf broke it off.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:28 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
I was in an LDR for about six months. It was horrible. She wasn't a very secure person, so she would get controlling and annoyed if I actually went out at night when she wasn't there. I finally couldn't deal with it any more and dropped her.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:59 AM

71 posts, read 136,943 times
Quote:
I would think many if not most LDRs start off locally but then one moves for some reason or other. That's how I ended up in a LDR and it sounds like that's what happened to the OP too. Anyway OP did the wise thing anf broke it off.
Mine started online so it's a little different. We started with no physical interaction, had a glimpse of physical interaction, no more physical interaction. I've been in one before and I realized I want to be in a local "normal" relationship. I'm tired of being the girl with the boyfriend she met online.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
No physical interaction? Haha I'll pass
Yeah. It's pretty boring!!

Old 09-10-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Eh... no. I've been where the OP is/was. The appeal of those temptations is MUCH greater when you're hours apart and don't see each other for weeks/months at a time versus "across campus." When my then-GF and I finally did live in the same town -- a Big Ten town mind you where "easy" temptations in our age group were exceedingly plentiful -- after living apart for years, the appeal of those temptations dropped massively. "Temptation magnification" is only one of many sources of strain inherent to a LDR.
My mind started wandering off and thinking about local relationships. I began to have doubts in my relationship and my feelings for the LDR left altogether. It was sudden and unexpected for my ex. I think LDRs with folks who met locally are different for those who met over the internet. I feel like people who have had time together locally have bonded through physical interaction. I am starting to realize the real way to connect with someone is to be there with them, and that is very important in the beginning of a relationship.

Old 09-10-2013, 10:14 AM

211 posts, read 373,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittycait View Post
I am 20 and I've been in LDR's for about the past 2 years (2 guys). My current boyfriend is wonderful and we get along great. We've spent some time together. I just transferred to a university and it's getting rather lonely. I have friends but I think I am getting bored of my relationship. About 2 days ago my boyfriend sent me a text pretending we lived in the same city, saying he'd come pick me up. Since that text, I've been realizing I really wish I had that sort of relationship. Don't people usually have that type of relationship? Here I am wishing for one. I'm young and I've never had a relationship the way it's "supposed" to be and I'm curious. I really care about my boyfriend and we're in this for the long hall but maybe I am too young to be deciding my forever right now. Thoughts??
Long Distance never works EVER EVER EVER. Break it off and go have some fun.. You 20 years old and in college.. go buckwild!

Old 09-10-2013, 10:16 AM

211 posts, read 373,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittycait View Post
Mine started online so it's a little different. We started with no physical interaction, had a glimpse of physical interaction, no more physical interaction. I've been in one before and I realized I want to be in a local "normal" relationship. I'm tired of being the girl with the boyfriend she met online.
Stop meeting people online and get out there and meet people offline. Online dating is a facade.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships