Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 03:02 PM

4,078 posts, read 5,411,579 times

Advertisements

Not to burst anyone's bubbles here, Chris Rock was kinda right..

To want someone smarter than you could also open the door for that person wanting to stray because they are not too challenged enough at the same time.

Grass isn't always greener. Sometimes, the greenest grass is on the side you're stepping on, but I guess a part of human nature seems to want what they cannot have when they are deluded into thinking what they want is totally unrealistic and unfounded in reality.

Desire.. a hard concept for most to decipher. Happiness is only ever fleeting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2013, 03:04 PM

211 posts, read 373,126 times
Intelligence is huge! My ex gf wasnt that intelligent and it bothered me a bunch. My current gf is very intelligent and Im all about it. To answer your question though, Id say equal or greater intelligence, however its preffered if the areas of intelligence differ from you so it makes things interesting.

Old 09-04-2013, 03:17 PM

371 posts, read 894,214 times
I dated a woman once who was much smarter than I was. She had multiple degrees. The problem was, she made sure I never forgot it. I remember once, we'd arrived at the same conclusion at the same time about something, and I said, "Great minds think alike."
She responded, "My mind is greater, because I have a master's degree from Johns-Hopkins."

Needless to say, we didn't last very long before I pulled the plug.
Funny thing, though, in spite of all her book learnin', I still used to smoke her when watched Jeopardy.

Old 09-04-2013, 03:26 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,994,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazz View Post
I dated a woman once who was much smarter than I was. She had multiple degrees. The problem was, she made sure I never forgot it. I remember once, we'd arrived at the same conclusion at the same time about something, and I said, "Great minds think alike."
She responded, "My mind is greater, because I have a master's degree from Johns-Hopkins."

Needless to say, we didn't last very long before I pulled the plug.
Funny thing, though, in spite of all her book learnin', I still used to smoke her when watched Jeopardy.
People tend to think "educated" and "ignorant" are mutually exclusive. Far from it. Some of the most ignorant people I've ever met were educated. Some were educators.

Old 09-04-2013, 04:36 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,374,021 times
Not especially. I'm pretty smart regarding most applicable things in life and also successful. I prefer someone who can compliment more in the areas I lack.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Old 09-04-2013, 09:10 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,834,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstan-dan View Post
Not especially. I'm pretty smart regarding most applicable things in life and also successful. I prefer someone who can compliment more in the areas I lack.

I feel ya on the compliments criteria. The world stomps on you enough its good to have a cheer team.

Old 09-05-2013, 05:54 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,296,597 times
I may have some books smarts, but living with three females (one woman, two dogs) who can outsmart me any time they want when it comes to obtaining treats becomes a bit demoralizing after a while. I'm very happy, though, so I guess my answer is "I prefer smarter".
Click image for larger version

Name:	3_girls.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	117554

Old 09-05-2013, 07:12 AM

3,549 posts, read 5,374,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
I feel ya on the compliments criteria. The world stomps on you enough its good to have a cheer team.
Hahaha, not the type of compliments I was referring to exactly. I was referring it in more of an "adds to" aspect. I.e. she adds to areas where I fall a bit shorter.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:46 AM

1,510 posts, read 2,962,427 times
Quote:
Hahaha, not the type of compliments I was referring to exactly. I was referring it in more of an "adds to" aspect. I.e. she adds to areas where I fall a bit shorter.

My wife and I have master's degrees in different fields. She is a teacher; I'm a security architect. She is going for her 2nd master's in education administration and I sometimes consider going for an MBA. We are both intelligent in different areas and definitely compliment each other nicely.

I like to learn from her as I know very little about how our education system works (or doesn't in many cases). She learns from me as I teach (or try to, at least) her "computer stuff". It's a mutually beneficial arrangement.

--Dim

Old 09-05-2013, 10:00 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,994,262 times
Quote:

You meant "complements" as in "completes." Common mistake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships