Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2013, 02:42 PM

4,213 posts, read 8,303,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trancedout View Post
One of my good friends in DC tells me that DC has the absolute worst male/female ratio, although it's supposed to have the most single women per capita or something like that.

Because of single old women, or single women in the hood with several "baby daddy's" (of any race), the ratio often looks misleading. The amount of attractive single women after college sharply declines. The few that are still single (especially without kids) or even recently divorced at any given time may have the attention of 50-100 guys campaigning for her.

I think another thing that gets overlooked, because of the ratios being how they are, even average women are somewhat pedastalized (because of facebook mainly and their "beta orbiters" commenting on even the stupidest thing they say) so they consider themselves above the average male. Also, a man cannot make a decent living in a lower-wage job how he could a generation ago, and lack of income hurts men more than women by far in the dating market.
Yes, social media has made every decent looking girl into a star. They'll have tons of followers on Twitter or Facebook worshipping them. And as noted previously, most women on dating sites get tons of messages, even everyday average women.

I do believe there are in between areas. Studio City might be pushing it because its' so close to hollywood, but definitely Toluca Lake, Burbank, and Pasadena would fall into that category. Probably Long Beach too. Silver Lake, Echo Park, and Los Feliz no way. They're in their own world of snobby standards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 02:51 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post
Yes, social media has made every decent looking girl into a star. They'll have tons of followers on Twitter or Facebook worshipping them. And as noted previously, most women on dating sites get tons of messages, even everyday average women.

I do believe there are in between areas. Studio City might be pushing it because its' so close to hollywood, but definitely Toluca Lake, Burbank, and Pasadena would fall into that category. Probably Long Beach too. Silver Lake, Echo Park, and Los Feliz no way. They're in their own world of snobby standards.
Yeah it's kind of a shame too, since it seems like there are some places with good food/drinks in Silver Lake, Echo Park, Los Feliz..but dealing with the attitudes is kind of a deal killer.

A lot of people like to paint the entire valley in a negative light, but there are some spots in the valley that would be packed to the gills if they were in those hipster areas . Like real dive bars that haven't been 'discovered' yet by the skinny jean and mustached set.

NoHo arts has hipsters, but it hasn't been 'ruined' by them yet I don't think. In a few years though I could see it approaching Silverlake levels. I'd like to see the arts district expand more north . There are some spots that seem popular and there's already retail storefronts in that area on Lankershim. It changes so much for the worse the more north you go though.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:06 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by disgruntled la native View Post

Is Northeast LA an "in between" area now? Formerly I'd consider it to have been outside the "ring of fire" along with most of the Valley, and - like the Valley - a bastion of real Angelenos. However, that area is seeing a pretty major hipster influx right now, even if it's not completely Silver Lake-ized.

Long Beach isn't in between. It's completely outside the zone, due to distance and having zero entertainment industry influence.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:13 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,449,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Is Northeast LA an "in between" area now? Formerly I'd consider it to have been outside the "ring of fire" along with most of the Valley, and - like the Valley - a bastion of real Angelenos. However, that area is seeing a pretty major hipster influx right now, even if it's not completely Silver Lake-ized.

Long Beach isn't in between. It's completely outside the zone, due to distance and having zero entertainment industry influence.
Not quite true anymore about LB. There are industry people residing there now, though they're integrated and not so much changing the town...yet. It was surprising to me to go to a gas station recently and overhear industry talk.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:13 PM

546 posts, read 817,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Ok, yes I was on a date with a beautiful girl but the girls that approached me didn't know I was on a date. Were they just acting as though they didn't know to flirt with me? Also, why would they flirt, not just flirt but hit on, a guy they knew was with someone?

One of the girls was trying to rib me, as in joking around with me, lots of touching and got a drink for me at the end of the night. I know she knew I was with someone, so I guess your point may make sense.
Was the girl you were with invisible or something? Maybe they just thought you were both friends. But either way you increased your appeal as you were with another beautiful women. Again, taking nothing away from you....as you must have had some natural appeal to them in the first place.

Quote:

And would you guys really consider Toluca Lake as in the same vein as WeHo and Beverly Hills? It's upscale but it lacks the pretention in my opinion. It's home-y.
I agree what disgruntled said...Toluca Lake is an in between area. Definitely not WeHo or Bev Hills but still gets some of the same types.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post

I don't know much about what's going on in Northeast La, but Atwater Village and Eagle Rock have become pretty hipsterized lately. There's also Occidental College which doesn't help things.

But Long Beach is still partying distance for LA people and has a formidable nightlife. It's under an hour drive without traffic, and the cab ride isn't insane enough to deter people. So for LA residents wanting something different, it's an option.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:21 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trancedout View Post
One of my good friends in DC tells me that DC has the absolute worst male/female ratio, although it's supposed to have the most single women per capita or something like that.

Because of single old women, or single women in the hood with several "baby daddy's" (of any race), the ratio often looks misleading. The amount of attractive single women after college sharply declines. The few that are still single (especially without kids) or even recently divorced at any given time may have the attention of 50-100 guys campaigning for her.
I have news for you: the DC area gets new attractive college grads every year, when gov't agencies do their hiring. Women come in from all over the country to work there. Your theory doesn't hold water at all.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:25 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,004,423 times
What's funny is that the reason why I like some of these places including more out there places like Long Beach, Santa Barbara, and enclaves in the Valley is because of the lack of industry influence. CA is almost better without it, and I don't mean anything against the blue collar workers in the industry, just the head honchos, the actors and the gazillion wannabes.

I did like Long Beach when I visited. I thought I wasn't going to and it isn't as nice as the other beach town but I did just like a California feel without the industry pretention.

I am sure Toluca Lake has a lot of industry folks residing there but I never found any one there to be outright rude. Maybe a little uppity, but that's about it. It is certainly way better than living out in West LA. I mean could you imagine living out in Bev Hills, WeHo, Brentwood, Westwood, and not be a materialistic pop culture driven overly trendy yuppie? Or live in Silverlake and Echo and not be an insufferable hipster?

The only exception I would say is DTLA. I find downtown to be one of my favorite spots going into town.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:37 PM

Quote:

I am sure Toluca Lake has a lot of industry folks residing there but I never found any one there to be outright rude. Maybe a little uppity, but that's about it. It is certainly way better than living out in West LA. I mean could you imagine living out in Bev Hills, WeHo, Brentwood, Westwood, and not be a materialistic pop culture driven overly trendy yuppie?
I've live(d) in 3 of the 4 and I'm nothing like that. But the young women tend to be.

Old 09-10-2013, 03:59 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
Regarding industry people. It's funny I grabbed breakfast today in Van Nuys at a diner type place , definitely not a hipster type place , but a place that's been there forever.

One group was talking 'industry' stuff , getting projects done ,etc. They seemed like they kind of knew each other casually. I was like "Damn , people are even talking about stuff at a place like this...you can't get away from it"

Then the next group that sat down was more interesting. They were probably in their 50s, and sounded like they were comedians or were in that business. The one guy was talking about being backstage w/ Kathy Griffin.
But it seemed they were cooler, more down to earth as it sounded like they lived in L.A for a while or were possibly born here. To me it's more annoying when it's some young guys yapping about how they are going to be the next big thing in Hollywood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships