Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 08:35 PM

2,765 posts, read 3,627,759 times

Advertisements

You know what? this was a thread that I came up with all of a sudden and never thought I would get so many different points of view. One thing I notice is that there is a strong stereotype here about men not liking grocery shopping or not being able to get it right while grocery shopping alone or women not being able to stick to a budget and that is what makes this interesting, the opinions so far have reflected a somewhat contrast to what I observe when I go shopping. I suppose on a forum you interact with a somewhat different crowd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 10:56 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,104,854 times
We go grocery shopping together just about every Sunday. We choose Sunday because that is when the coupons come out and my wife is very coupon conscience. She makes the grocery list and has all the coupons for things she is going to buy. If it were me i would have the items in some kind of order so I would have to walk through the store only once, but that isn't how she does it. I don't complain because we enjoy each other's company and often she asks me for my input or asks me to make a choice on what we get. She pays for the groceries, always, that is part of our financial deal, unless I want something special or want to pay for a special dinner for friends. Neither of us wonders off to another part of the store when we shop. If I go to the electronics area, she goes with me. If she goes to the womens clothing area, I go with her. Sometimes we start our grocery shopping by visiting the deli and having a latte or other drink, and sometimes we start by having lunch in the deli first. We make grocery shopping an enjoyable experience for both of us. When we get home, we both carry the grocieries into the house, and I help her put it away.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:02 PM

307 posts, read 630,791 times
We grocery shop together once a week. We go out to dinner first so I am not hungry when we shop. It's a quick stop at the grocery store on the way home because we shop from a list and just go directly to each item on the list.

Neither of us is a big shopping fan but its not so bad when we are doing it together.

Old 09-06-2013, 11:07 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,212,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1orlando View Post
Do you and your significant other go grocery shopping together all the time or most of the time? Those of you who do, how does that work for the two of you? Do you have a good time doing it together? do you argue a lot in the process because you can't agree on some of the products you buy or their prices or have differences of opinions about the timing or some other issue? To the ladies; does your man leave your side to go look at the car stuff or sporting goods? To the gentlemen; does your lady make you go down isles you don't want to go down to and look at stuff you don't care for or do you both reach a compromise? I know children can make going grocery shopping stressful as they become impatient so those of you with small children do you taken them with you or does your SO stays at home with them or takes them to the toys section to keep them busy? Tell me your situation. There can be a lot of anger and also a lot of humor here so let's see how it turns out.

When he is home he always goes to the grocery with me, he enjoys it and it is that much more time we get to spend together. We agree on most food and I do the majority of the cooking and he does the majority of the eating so no issues there. Pretty much if I put it on a plate and call it food he will eat it as long as it does not eat him first.

Old 09-07-2013, 07:12 AM

37,591 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nite Ryder View Post
We go grocery shopping together just about every Sunday. We choose Sunday because that is when the coupons come out and my wife is very coupon conscience. She makes the grocery list and has all the coupons for things she is going to buy. If it were me i would have the items in some kind of order so I would have to walk through the store only once, but that isn't how she does it. I don't complain because we enjoy each other's company and often she asks me for my input or asks me to make a choice on what we get. She pays for the groceries, always, that is part of our financial deal, unless I want something special or want to pay for a special dinner for friends. Neither of us wonders off to another part of the store when we shop. If I go to the electronics area, she goes with me. If she goes to the womens clothing area, I go with her. Sometimes we start our grocery shopping by visiting the deli and having a latte or other drink, and sometimes we start by having lunch in the deli first. We make grocery shopping an enjoyable experience for both of us. When we get home, we both carry the grocieries into the house, and I help her put it away.
That's sweet. It's nice that your enjoyment of each others company supercedes the event. I almost wish my BF felt that way...but he's somewhat like me I guess...we have both been on our own a long time and it's really hard to adjust to doing everything together. It's why I'll never live with anyone again - I just need my own space and time.

Old 09-07-2013, 07:24 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Yeah men can have a much harder time. Here you go...

Jeanne Robertson "Don't send a man to the grocery store!" - YouTube
Hahahaha! That is my grandfather. He comes home with enormous multi-packs of things from Costco because they are 10 cents cheaper and drives my grandmother crazy. I have to show this to them.

Old 09-07-2013, 07:34 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
I usually do the grocery shopping by myself because I have a list and am all business. The kids can help get things but that doesn't save me any time, and I don't want to fend off the onslaught of can-we-gets. One of my stores is very small and adding extra bodies is a bad idea, especially when it's crowded.

If I send my husband for something, I have to be very specific. The kids used all the cheddar cheese and I need some, that kind of thing. He might bring home a big bag of shredded because it was on sale from $13.99 down to $9.99. If he does the grocery shopping, he will choose great things but blow my budget out of the water. He cooks on Saturdays and tells me what he wants to make. I do the shopping.

Old 09-07-2013, 08:11 AM

37,591 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Hahahaha! That is my grandfather. He comes home with enormous multi-packs of things from Costco because they are 10 cents cheaper and drives my grandmother crazy. I have to show this to them.
Wasn't that hilarious? I crack up every time I watch that thing. She's really funny.

Old 09-07-2013, 08:11 AM

1,250 posts, read 2,157,354 times
I am largely indifferent to shopping and very mission-driven. I need a thing, I go get the thing and then I leave. Preference is to do everything on line.

My SO loooouuuuvvves to shop. Yes, he does. When we go together, you do not want to be around us. We are that disgusting couple stroking each other's bottoms as we take turns rolling the cart, and he's whispering into my neck all the things on that aisle he wants to smear on me.

Yeah, I know! Get a room!

Old 09-07-2013, 08:26 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,063,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Yeah men can have a much harder time. Here you go...
Bwahahaha! My husband isn't that bad, but my mother would roll laughing at that! My dad is so bad in the grocery store. They have more food in their pantry (just the two of them) than I do as a family of 6!! I'll have to share that with them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships