Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 01:24 PM

40 posts, read 129,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missnoname View Post
I tried calling him today but he did not pick up. I wanted to confirm our saturday night plan.
If he doesn't get back to you and hits you up mid week, you know where you stand with this guy. If your OK with getting used just for sex, knowing he's banging other women too, then have at it. If not, walk. But hey, I've seen it before. Some guys just have that animal attractiveness and women can't resist no matter how dickish they are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
Maybe it's my age (pushing 40), but it's crazy to me when young people get worked up when they haven't received a response to a communication in 24 hours. The number of things that can come up in 24 hours is nearly infinite. Often times for me a 24 hour period can consist of just work and sleep, and maybe a social activity thrown in there somewhere, and I just don't get around to responding to texts, even from someone I really like. Catching up with emails and texts is sometimes something I only do every few days, or possibly even once a week. I wouldn't worry about a lack of response until several days or weeks have gone by.
Definitely your age. If someone isn't texting you back, there's a reason. For most people of my generation, the cell phone doesn't leave our sides.

Old 09-07-2013, 01:29 PM

37,491 posts, read 45,780,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisenberg5750 View Post
I'll assume your a bit older. Texting is the norm for twenty somethings and below.
Irrevalant. I text plenty. It's a continuing complaint here, people all anxious and worried because they can't figure out what someone's TEXT means. Texting is great for short and quicks - not so great for a conversation. My point is, if you don't understand what someone means, then TALK TO THEM. It's not rocket science.

Old 09-07-2013, 01:30 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,588,285 times
Quote:
Definitely your age. If someone isn't texting you back, there's a reason. For most people of my generation, the cell phone doesn't leave our sides.
Mine doesn't leave my side, either, but I have a life and expect that others do, too. Most people in my demographic are working 8-10 hours per day, maybe commuting an hour each way to work, trying to sleep 7-8 hours a night, and having evening activities (social, exercise, community involvement, classes, second jobs, family activities, you name it). There just isn't time to respond to a bunch of texts from a bunch of people every hour or even every day sometimes. We expect each other to be busy, and catch up when we can. 24 hours without a response among busy people is NOTHING. Maybe if you know the person does nothing but lay around all day, you could expect instant response, but otherwise, I don't think that's a reasonable expectation.

Old 09-07-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missnoname View Post
I tried calling him today but he did not pick up. I wanted to confirm our saturday night plan.
Ah...then there you go. If he won't answer a phone call, he's jacking you around. Of course, he could be busy. I often don't answer if I am working, or otherwise occupied. Sending someone a text is easy and can be meaningless...intentionally so. That's why it's not a great communication tool. You tried calling, so if he doesn't want to talk, assuming he doesn't return your call, then leave him be and move on.

Old 09-07-2013, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Mine doesn't leave my side, either, but I have a life and expect that others do, too. Most people in my demographic are working 8-10 hours per day, maybe commuting an hour each way to work, trying to sleep 7-8 hours a night, and having evening activities (social, exercise, community involvement, classes, second jobs, family activities, you name it). There just isn't time to respond to a bunch of texts from a bunch of people every hour or even every day sometimes. We expect each other to be busy, and catch up when we can. 24 hours without a response among busy people is NOTHING. Maybe if you know the person does nothing but lay around all day, you could expect instant response, but otherwise, I don't think that's a reasonable expectation.
A text takes seconds. You're acting like you need to sit down and pen a letter. I work in corporate America, roughly 50 hours a week. I'm extremely busy professionally and socially. I'll answer a text at my desk. It's no big deal. Across the board in my age group, if someone doesn't text you back in a 24 hour period, unless they just missed it, there's a reason.

Email is a different story and I agree with you on that point.

But I have to question. If you have the time to spend on this forum, and I see you post a lot, how do you not have the time to text a friend back?

Old 09-07-2013, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Ah...then there you go. If he won't answer a phone call, he's jacking you around.
Please. Who do you know that is able to just answer a phone call at any time? Certainly not anyone who is employed and has any semblance of a social life.

Old 09-07-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Please. Who do you know that is able to just answer a phone call at any time? Certainly not anyone who is employed and has any semblance of a social life.
I didn't say any such thing. I said if he WON'T. Totally different.

Old 09-07-2013, 01:39 PM

Quote:
A text takes seconds. You're acting like you need to sit down and pen a letter. I work in corporate America, roughly 50 hours a week. I'm extremely busy professionally and socially. I'll answer a text at my desk. It's no big deal. Across the board in my age group, if someone doesn't text you back in a 24 hour period, unless they just missed it, there's a reason.

But I have to question. If you have the time to spend on this forum, and I see you post a lot, how do you not have the time to text a friend back?
I have a phone at my desk. Far far easier. If people need me when I am work, they call me there.

Old 09-07-2013, 01:41 PM

Quote:
I'll answer a text at my desk. It's no big deal.
I'm not sure what your job is, but in mine I'm often in meetings all day. Unless you want to end up looking like John McCain the other day, you don't whip out your phone and start responding to texts when you're supposed to be interpersonally engaged.

Quote:
Across the board in my age group, if someone doesn't text you back in a 24 hour period, unless they just missed it, there's a reason.
I'm curious, what is your age group? I'm glad I don't date in it, apparently.

Quote:
How is it different? Both are text-based, show up instantly on your phone, and only take "a few seconds" (your words) to respond to if you want to send something brief, half-assed, and meaningless, but significantly more time if you want to send something thoughtful. The only difference is which app is opened on your phone.

Quote:
Sometimes I have time to spend on this forum, and sometimes I don't. Sometimes I post here several times a day. Other times I go several days, and occasionally even several weeks, without posting, because I'm busy. Same with text messaging or anything else. Life happens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships