Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 09:17 AM

438 posts, read 1,531,210 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
Some men do this too and I think they just like fantasizing by participating in the mating dance, but pretending that they're not (this helps with guilt). But the key point is that they don't really want to physically cheat and definitely not leave their spouse. Again, men do this as well as women.

Oh, and PS - Are you sure this is a site specifically for dating and not one where you can look for platonic friends too?
No it's a dating site where the womens profile would be viewed by men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 09:22 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,648,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Leaf View Post
It's Okcupid, I'm pretty sure that's a dating site.
I joined OkCupid over 10 years ago, when it was not a dating site and just had online quizzes and games. You had to join to take the quizzes. I was married then but am single now but I don't think I filled out the profile until I was single. It was not a dating site back then though and didn't start that way. I just made a thread asking about this. That said, it is, at least partially, a dating site now - times have changed. There should be a site made just for platonic friends, if that doesn't exist now. Mixing the two mixes people up.

Last edited by srjth; 09-10-2013 at 09:30 AM..

Old 09-10-2013, 09:29 AM

15,013 posts, read 21,648,445 times
Quote:
No it's a dating site where the womens profile would be viewed by men.
The ambiguity of the site and being out of others sight IS what allows people who want to fantasize yet avoid recrimination get away with it.

Old 09-10-2013, 11:22 AM

103 posts, read 185,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
They want the D. They are just in denial.
I agree. If someone is looking for a friend then I'm sure there are websites geared towards that but a dating site? Yes they want a fwb.

Old 09-10-2013, 12:22 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,599,678 times
Quote:
I occasionally peruse through dating profiles online and stumble upon something that I find quite odd. Women that are married or in a relationship that say they are just looking for friends and nothing more.
I'm curious, what sites are you seeing this on? I've only seen that on sites like OKC that clearly indicate that they are open to people using it to find friendship as well as dating I've never seen anyone do that on an actual dating site, per se, like Match or eHarmony.

Old 09-10-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
I'm curious, what sites are you seeing this on? I've only seen that on sites like OKC that clearly indicate that they are open to people using it to find friendship as well as dating I've never seen anyone do that on an actual dating site, per se, like Match or eHarmony.
Yes it's OKC, but the womens ads visible to men so it seems they are ok with being friends with men who are on an there. My point is I don't think many men are looking for women to be their friends unless they can get a little something extra.

Old 09-10-2013, 12:51 PM

3,793 posts, read 4,599,678 times
Quote:
Yes it's OKC,
Well there's your answer, then. OKC is not just a dating site. It is well-known to be for people looking to meet people for any number of reasons, including platonic friendships.

Quote:
My point is I don't think many men are looking for women to be their friends unless they can get a little something extra.
I disagree. I'm a man who likes having friends of both genders, and I don't think I'm unique in that.

If you're looking for something extra, just avoid the women who say they're only looking for friendships. Problem solved. Or, if you prefer, use a site that is strictly for dating.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
Well there's your answer, then. OKC is not just a dating site. It is well-known to be for people looking to meet people for any number of reasons, including platonic friendships.

I disagree. I'm a man who likes having friends of both genders, and I don't think I'm unique in that.

If you're looking for something extra, just avoid the women who say they're only looking for friendships. Problem solved. Or, if you prefer, use a site that is strictly for dating.
But I think you actually are pretty unique to that. Again, I'm quite certain most men on OKC want more than just friends with out benefits from women who post there.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:43 PM

415 posts, read 599,724 times
Quote:
But I think you actually are pretty unique to that. Again, I'm quite certain most men on OKC want more than just friends with out benefits from women who post there.
I agree here. nearnorth is unique. Guys generally don't join websites for platonic friendships with women. And women know this. For a woman to put down that she wants to have a platonic friendship with a guy is b.s. She's just using the "just looking for friends" thing to cover up for cheating.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:45 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,144,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
they want the d. They are just in denial.
+1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships