Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2013, 03:33 AM

728 posts, read 1,899,220 times

Advertisements

I'm a big history fan so I of course enjoy knowing about the past whether it's about people, places, things or events. I know not everyone appreciates history so I don't expect everyone to understand why it's important to me.

When I date someone or enter into a relationship with someone I tend to ask a lot of questions about their past with the honest and simple intention of learning about them and what has made them who they are today. Of course I don't just sit there with a list and shoot off dozens of questions on the first date, that's just ridiculous. Over time, once the relationship moves forward, I like to sometimes ask questions about my partners past and for the most part she answers them although she sometimes answers as though she were being cross examined in court with short and brief answers. This especially applies to whenever any questions about her past sex lives comes up since I'm very curious to know what she's done, not done, wants to do etc. I don't probe much and if she answers in a vague way then I just leave it alone and assume she doesn't want to talk about it.

I, on the other hand, am an open book when it comes to my past (literally). She can ask me anything at all and I would be more than happy to give her all the details she wants but she doesn't. She's not big on history so she's not curious or inquisitive about my past at all. I tease her sometimes and tell her that I could have had a sex change when I was younger and she would never know because she never asked me anything or I could have had hundreds of Caligula style orgies back in the day but she wouldn't ever know. Her reasoning is that as long as the past doesn't affect the present or future why does it matter?

I think it does matter don't you? Wouldn't you like to know about your partners past?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 03:51 AM

206 posts, read 254,718 times
Speaking from personal experience....no they don't.

It's always a mental block.

I get tired of telling it to.

Forget it, I know where I've been and what I have done.

It is a tip-off to what kind of woman I'm dealing with though.

A three year old could/CAN figure it out.

They can't fathom any of it.

Let it go, AFTER you let them go.

Old 09-14-2013, 05:05 AM

486 posts, read 1,496,734 times
I like a man who wants to know my past, my history. It turns me on that he is interested in that side of me. I am a curious person too.

Old 09-14-2013, 05:16 AM

348 posts, read 498,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainGuy74 View Post
I'm a big history fan so I of course enjoy knowing about the past whether it's about people, places, things or events. I know not everyone appreciates history so I don't expect everyone to understand why it's important to me.

When I date someone or enter into a relationship with someone I tend to ask a lot of questions about their past with the honest and simple intention of learning about them and what has made them who they are today. Of course I don't just sit there with a list and shoot off dozens of questions on the first date, that's just ridiculous. Over time, once the relationship moves forward, I like to sometimes ask questions about my partners past and for the most part she answers them although she sometimes answers as though she were being cross examined in court with short and brief answers. This especially applies to whenever any questions about her past sex lives comes up since I'm very curious to know what she's done, not done, wants to do etc. I don't probe much and if she answers in a vague way then I just leave it alone and assume she doesn't want to talk about it.

I, on the other hand, am an open book when it comes to my past (literally). She can ask me anything at all and I would be more than happy to give her all the details she wants but she doesn't. She's not big on history so she's not curious or inquisitive about my past at all. I tease her sometimes and tell her that I could have had a sex change when I was younger and she would never know because she never asked me anything or I could have had hundreds of Caligula style orgies back in the day but she wouldn't ever know. Her reasoning is that as long as the past doesn't affect the present or future why does it matter?

I think it does matter don't you? Wouldn't you like to know about your partners past?
Well according to another thread women don't care about their men, so they don't care about your past. Only if it has to do with their children. That must be it.

Old 09-14-2013, 05:32 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,207,396 times
today we are the total sum of all out past experiences- some good, some bad

we've all been thru hell, and made bad decisions, the important thing is to learn from them

the person you meet today is not the person he/she was 5,10 15 years ago.

why live your life in the dark clouds of the rearview mirror??? look thru the bright windshield towards building a better life for the future.

ive seen couples use what they have learned from their partners past, against them- this is like teasing your kid in front of his/her friends that they wet the bed at a late age-- VERY DESTRUCTIVE!! manipulating and controlling.

sometimes, the great person you meet today is from learning from their past mistakes-this always gets overlooked

leave the past in the past ...dont be a control freak!!!

Last edited by mainebrokerman; 09-14-2013 at 05:45 AM..

Old 09-14-2013, 06:23 AM

1,787 posts, read 5,746,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainGuy74 View Post
I'm a big history fan so I of course enjoy knowing about the past whether it's about people, places, things or events. .....

When I date someone or enter into a relationship with someone I tend to ask a lot of questions about their past with the honest and simple intention of learning about them and what has made them who they are today. ...... Over time, once the relationship moves forward, I like to sometimes ask questions about my partners past and for the most part she answers them although she sometimes answers as though she were being cross examined in court with short and brief answers. This especially applies to whenever any questions about her past sex lives comes up since I'm very curious to know what she's done, not done, wants to do etc. I don't probe much and if she answers in a vague way then I just leave it alone and assume she doesn't want to talk about it. .....

There are other things in a person's past that make a person who they are today. There are a lot of other questions you could ask about your partner's past other than what that person has done sexually with other partners. Hearing your partner talk about sex turns you on and you're a busy body. If you need to hear someone's sexual history, there are magazines you can read.

Old 09-14-2013, 07:11 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,141,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longneck Bottle View Post
Speaking from personal experience....no they don't.

It's always a mental block.

I get tired of telling it to.

Forget it, I know where I've been and what I have done.

It is a tip-off to what kind of woman I'm dealing with though.

A three year old could/CAN figure it out.

They can't fathom any of it.

Let it go, AFTER you let them go.
This. If you have halfway decent antenna and actually listen during a conversation, a person will tell you everything you need to know.

Old 09-14-2013, 07:14 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
I do care about someone's past in general...life experiences are important. I don't need to know nitty gritty details of the interpersonal dynamics of previous relationships. I don't care about past sex life at all, unless it has created some health ramification that would affect me, obviously.

Old 09-14-2013, 07:16 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,764,451 times
In parts of the past, yes. Sordid details of the past, not so much.

Old 09-14-2013, 07:53 AM

350 posts, read 709,753 times
My past is worst than any woman I've ever been with so, it's pretty easy to deal with their past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships