Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2013, 10:30 AM

6,732 posts, read 9,991,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
"STD-free"? That's a novel concept. "STD, asymptomatic" is probably more to the point.
So you don't believe in science? Modern medicine? Blood tests?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 10:37 AM

1,102 posts, read 1,350,455 times
Yeah, it matters

Old 09-15-2013, 11:12 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,598,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
So you don't believe in science? Modern medicine? Blood tests?
I'm pretty sure he/she does believe in science and medicine, which is how they knew to make that specifically accurate statement. It is true that you can't know for sure if you have an STI or not. You can only know if you are symptomatic or not. Some blood tests (such as the Herpes test) are so inaccurate that doctors won't make a diagnosis without symptoms.

That's not to say you shouldn't be tested. You absolutely should, particularly for things like HIV that can be deadly and have relatively accurate tests and good treatment. It is still true, though, that you can never know for sure if you are STI-free, unless you've never had any sexual contact.

Last edited by nearnorth; 09-15-2013 at 11:44 AM..

Old 09-15-2013, 11:13 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,571,323 times
I find that asking your girl how many guys she's been with is the worst decision you'll ever make. You'll find yourself spending hours in the shower crying.....with all your clothes on

Old 09-15-2013, 11:26 AM

6,732 posts, read 9,991,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
I'm pretty sure he/she does believe in science and medicine, which is how they knew to make that specifically accurate statement. It's true that can't know for sure if you have an STI or not. You can only know if you are symptomatic or not. Some blood tests (such as the Herpes test) are so inaccurate that doctors won't make a diagnosis without symptoms.
::laughing::

Yes, that actually made me lol.

When your doc was in school, that was true. It is not true now. The modern blood tests are extremely accurate.

The CDC has a good page on herpes testing; check it out.

As for all other STDs, if you want you can be tested for the actual viral and bacterial DNA/RNA. That's far more accurate than some (clearly underinformed) doc looking at slides under a microscope in his back office.

Old 09-15-2013, 11:29 AM

52,202 posts, read 52,636,749 times
LOL.... yeah, you find out your date has seen more D than the urinals at the superbowl........ tough moment....

Old 09-15-2013, 11:33 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,917,771 times
Whenever I have been involved with a new partner, with you is always we both get checked. I know where I've been and she may know where she has been, but we don't know each other has been.

Once that has bean cleared up who cares how many partners one or the other person has been with. What matters now is that they are with you exclusively.

Both myself and my current partner have been divorced for 15 plus years. Does anyone think either one of us has been celibate?

She is aware I've had more partners than her. She doesn't ask how many although she has asked for a range and I know exactly how many she has had. It doesn't matter. What matters is that we are true to each other and perhaps we may end up being each others last partner.

Old 09-15-2013, 11:36 AM

1,341 posts, read 1,627,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I find that asking your girl how many guys she's been with is the worst decision you'll ever make. You'll find yourself spending hours in the shower crying.....with all your clothes on
I think it's a stupid idea as well, because she can simply avoid telling you the truth or frame it in an "acceptable" way. On the other hand, disregarding one's past is the dumbest thing you can do. I think it's one huge brainwashing because there's this whole stupidity in the USA that wants best of both worlds - having a family life and having sex and leisure throughout your whole life. Not even once in the history of mankind did anyone say that it's none of your business if you have a woman who screwed around. It's against common sense, as you're about to take an obligation over someone who displays a history of behavior which has the word "liability" written all other the place.

What's next, telling me that it doesn't matter if the woman I'm with is having sex with other 10 persons and trying out to find a better suitor while dating me or while being married to me. You know, her life is her life and it's none of my business too. OK, that's find with me, you can do anything you want with your life, but as soon as I'm even remotely involved, it does become my concern and this whole story that is there to bash me becomes BS. If you don't want to be judged, don't get involved with people who will judge you.
If the past doesn't matter then just be upfront with it at some point before both sides get completely involved. Oh yeah, I forgot.... it does matter for lots of folks and we all know it.

Old 09-15-2013, 11:38 AM

31,011 posts, read 22,051,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
I'm pretty sure he/she does believe in science and medicine, which is how they knew to make that specifically accurate statement. It's true that can't know for sure if you have an STI or not. You can only know if you are symptomatic or not. Some blood tests (such as the Herpes test) are so inaccurate that doctors won't make a diagnosis without symptoms.

That's not to say you shouldn't be tested. You absolutely should, particularly for things like HIV that can be deadly and have relatively accurate tests and good treatment. It is still true, though, that you can never know for sure if you are STI-free, unless you've never had any sexual contact.
You can still contract an std without having sex in the case contracting HIV from your mother or herpes during birth.

Old 09-15-2013, 11:47 AM

3,793 posts, read 4,598,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
::laughing::

Yes, that actually made me lol.

When your doc was in school, that was true. It is not true now. The modern blood tests are extremely accurate.
My doc is younger than I am, and I'm in my 30's, but I wasn't referring to her since I've not had reason to have a Herpes test done myself. I was referring to experts in the field. I admit it's been 4 or 5 years since I saw the latest on Herpes tests, and educating on this is still part of what I do for a living (less so than it used to be), so I'll definitely look at the latest CDC info. to see if it's changed during that time. Thanks for the info. It's too bad the condescending laughter cancels out the helpfulness as far as overall post quality goes, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships