Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the legal marriage age be raised to 25?
Yes 14 13.73%
No 71 69.61%
I could care less. Just let me see the results. 17 16.67%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2013, 09:28 PM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Marriages used to last a whole lot longer when the majority of people married between age 18 and 25.

I know quite a few people who married young who stayed married, a couple I know got married at age 30 a couple years ago and they didn't last even a year.

As for divorce, there are those hopeless romantics who marry, divorce, marry, divorce, marry, divorce. Some even remarry one they divorced previously.
I have to agree with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 10:06 PM

5,460 posts, read 7,759,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Well, I respect that. I don't understand it, but I respect it. =)
Thank you Lily

Quote:
I think that two people have the potential to satisfy each other for life, particularly if they communicate their needs, desires, curiosities, etc. You will evolve and grow, as individuals, and as a couple, and so will your sex life-- it's forever a work in progress, not a static thing at all. Though if we neglect it, it can feel so.

Don't take this as a personal attack or insult, I really am curious about this subject. So are you that type who believe marriage is guarantee of love? You obviously want to have sex (or make love or whatever you wish to say it) till you get married. (correct me if I am wrong here)
I guess maybe I had always sort of valued non-intimate but at the same time affectionate and devoted romantic love, much more than I did raw physical intimacy alone For example, things like loving, tender, and affectionate words...gentle full embraces and hugs, and holding each other close, in each other's arms...loving soft kisses...that sort of thing. And the one thing that makes me feel loved and cherished more than anything else in the whole world are hearing those magical 3 words..."ILY"

Intimacy, while I've never personally experienced it IRL, does sound nice, in theory...I want more than only intimacy. If it were up to me lol, I could never, ever grow tired of hearing that someone loves and cares for me, no matter how many times they said it...each and every time would be like it was brand-new, and the very first time I heard that they loved me...

Quote:
i personally believe some people can be happy in life with a single partner. But there is no way of knowing whether a 20 year old is going to be like that. The next 10 to 15 years will be interesting for that person.
If they genuinely and truly love you, then surely they would be happy to fulfill a person's emotional needs, in that regard though?

Quote:
What if you discover that you like it hot and heavy and you marry somebody who likes it quiet, lights off, missionary-only? You’ll be locked-in to the relationship and totally unfulfilled!
Lol...I guess I had always imagined that those kinds of things could be rather easily taught, or learned, in terms of a person's romantic sweetheart and partner wanting to please and make their other partner feel happy and loved

Quote:
What if the woman you want to spend the rest of your life with is a total dead fish in the bedroom, that will be fine with you too? =)
Again, it would kind of be my hope I suppose that she would be open and flexible enough to want to make both of us feel happy, joyful, and loved and treasured, in that way

Last edited by Phoenix2017; 09-25-2013 at 10:22 PM..

Old 09-26-2013, 07:06 AM

39,222 posts, read 27,592,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight2009 View Post
Thank you Lily

I guess maybe I had always sort of valued non-intimate but at the same time affectionate and devoted romantic love, much more than I did raw physical intimacy alone For example, things like loving, tender, and affectionate words...gentle full embraces and hugs, and holding each other close, in each other's arms...loving soft kisses...that sort of thing. And the one thing that makes me feel loved and cherished more than anything else in the whole world are hearing those magical 3 words..."ILY"

Intimacy, while I've never personally experienced it IRL, does sound nice, in theory...I want more than only intimacy. If it were up to me lol, I could never, ever grow tired of hearing that someone loves and cares for me, no matter how many times they said it...each and every time would be like it was brand-new, and the very first time I heard that they loved me...

If they genuinely and truly love you, then surely they would be happy to fulfill a person's emotional needs, in that regard though?

Lol...I guess I had always imagined that those kinds of things could be rather easily taught, or learned, in terms of a person's romantic sweetheart and partner wanting to please and make their other partner feel happy and loved

Again, it would kind of be my hope I suppose that she would be open and flexible enough to want to make both of us feel happy, joyful, and loved and treasured, in that way
All I have to say is that you are very optimistic, I wish you the best!

Old 09-28-2013, 08:10 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,025,203 times
I'm 22 and I agree, but I'll go one stage further. I think marriage in general should be banned!

Marriage is a stupid idea anyway. Most marriages end in divorce and heartbreak and many people still believe that it should only be between a man and a woman.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:16 PM

1,911 posts, read 3,025,203 times
OP, I don't get this. At 18, you're an adult. I'm an adult and I'm not even 25 yet. I can drink, vote, serve in the military. I am also not from this country, so I don't understand and totally disagree with people my age being called "kids". This would not happen elsewhere. I find this offensive to be honest. I know lots of irresponsible 40 and 50 year olds.

Old 09-30-2013, 01:33 PM

1,687 posts, read 1,282,192 times
NO!

My opinion has little to do with the concept of marriage as it does with the fact that there is already WAY too much government involvement in our lives.

Old 09-30-2013, 01:43 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by non-creep View Post
OP, I don't get this. At 18, you're an adult. I'm an adult and I'm not even 25 yet. I can drink, vote, serve in the military. I am also not from this country, so I don't understand and totally disagree with people my age being called "kids". This would not happen elsewhere. I find this offensive to be honest. I know lots of irresponsible 40 and 50 year olds.

LOL, 18 year olds are not "adults" - they still have on average 5-7 years of physical and brain growth.

18 year olds are just of "legal age", meaning they can vote and make contracts.

But as you may or may not know, they still can not buy alcohol or rent a car or even get a hotel room in many places (at least in America). And there are reasons for that having to do with not yet mature judgement and reasoning aspects of the brain.

That being said, I am not in favor of legislating marital age to 25. While this might actually prevent many divorces, the ends do not justify the means.

Old 10-10-2013, 05:11 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,027,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by non-creep View Post
You may be an adult, you may be able to drink, you may be able to vote, you may be able to serve in the military, but even if you were born in the US you wouldn't be able to run for President of the United States. Because you have to be at least age 35 to do that. One age doesn't fit all. Your brain continues to mature well into your 30s. You are still in the learning phase of your life.

Old 10-12-2013, 05:12 PM

316 posts, read 214,472 times
I havent read all these comments, but what about raising the legal age to 21? It may help deter teen marriages since you would need parental consent at 20. It used to be legal age and maybe should be now, a much better option than banning marriages until 25. I read somewhere the highest divorce rates are under 23 yrs old. I feel a generation is being pushed into early marriage and talked into forgoing college and not wait. It is beyond me why anyone would want to be saddled with four kids at 25 or one kid before 20. There are much worse things like divorcing with three kids in your 20s with no way to support yourself. You can be perfectly happy single and childfree. Why sacrifice the best days of your life?

Old 11-14-2013, 02:39 PM

9 posts, read 5,718 times
I believe their should be no marriage age. Once you have finished high-school and puberty you should be able to almost whatever you want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
LOL, 18 year olds are not "adults" - they still have on average 5-7 years of physical and brain growth.

18 year olds are just of "legal age", meaning they can vote and make contracts.

But as you may or may not know, they still can not buy alcohol or rent a car or even get a hotel room in many places (at least in America). And there are reasons for that having to do with not yet mature judgement and reasoning aspects of the brain.

That being said, I am not in favor of legislating marital age to 25. While this might actually prevent many divorces, the ends do not justify the means.
Not to mention the voting age was 21 and was only lowered because 18 years could be drafted into the military, which has been abolished.

Last edited by Man of Sin; 11-14-2013 at 02:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships