Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the legal marriage age be raised to 25?
Yes 14 13.73%
No 71 69.61%
I could care less. Just let me see the results. 17 16.67%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 10:38 PM

7,138 posts, read 11,023,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
No. It should be standardized, 18 years old to vote, drink, have sex, buy cigs, drive a car, marry, whatever.
That would never work. 18 is way to high an age for sex, and too low for drinking. The average age for first sexual intercourse, is 17. That would make 60% of teenagers in violation of the law. The average age for first drinking is about the same too, but there is a reason that the drinking age was raised to 21. Too many alcohol poisoning deaths of 18 year old college students, who don't know how to drink.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
If you were 18 and she was 15 yes the law would have a problem.
That would depend on what state he is in. In 30 states the age of consent is 16, and many states have close-in-age exceptions. So the law would not necessarily have a problem with that, everywhere.

Old 09-17-2013, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nearnorth View Post
Sigh....She was quite clearly referring to the age of consent, which is already 18 in most states, so nothing would change. Bit defensive, are we?
That is a common misconception. In most states (30 to be exact) the age of consent is 16. Many states also have close in age exceptions.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
How so?
Less people getting married = less divorces.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Still no. Your perceived problem can't be fixed by age. The 25 50/50, where did you ever come up with that notion? Your logic is flawed at best, pinhead at worst.
The numbers I see are that 50% of all marriages end in divorce. The under 25 age group seems to have an above average number of divorces. I think it is safe to say that the number of divorces for the under 25 age group is very high.

Here is one source that says 60%.

"60 percent of marriages for couples between the ages of 20 and 25 end in divorce."

Dr. Phil.com - Advice - Marriage and Divorce: The Statistics

Old 09-18-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nokiddin View Post
OP, i didn't read any of the posts besides your opening one but just wanted share my quick thoughts:

it will never happen. we have a cultural custom that once he hit the age of majority, you are liberty to live your live as an adult as you please as long as you stay within criminal legal limits, which includes consensual sex between adults (e.g., no statutory rape, no non-consensual forced rape, etc).
Hum, you have to be 35 years old to run for president of the United States. There are lots of other age requirements above the age of majority also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nokiddin View Post
the only reason we have a legal drinking age is because Congress will only grant federal funds for interstate highways if states maintain a legal age limit for drinking alcohol. and the courts have determine that this age limit is rationally related to the purpose of the funds, which is reducing highway accidents and fatalities where was alcohol as significantly reduced.
Every state had a legal drinking age well before the National Minimum Drinking Age Act of 1984. That only standardized the age at 21.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:07 PM

36,492 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Yes, but that was when life expectancy was 40 some years. Now it's close to 80. In those days people had to get married that young, just to have enough time to raise their kids.
BS. My mother married at 16, her half sister at 14 that was some 67-70 years ago. My grandmother married when she was barley 18 that was 87 years ago. Mom was 74 and grandma almost 105 when they died. Most all my aunts and uncles and my older sister married right out of HS at 18-19 years old. All of these people I have mentioned were married until death or they are still married save one uncle who divorced and even then tried to remarry my aunt before he passed from cancer.

Old 09-19-2013, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
BS. My mother married at 16, her half sister at 14 that was some 67-70 years ago. My grandmother married when she was barley 18 that was 87 years ago. Mom was 74 and grandma almost 105 when they died. Most all my aunts and uncles and my older sister married right out of HS at 18-19 years old. All of these people I have mentioned were married until death or they are still married save one uncle who divorced and even then tried to remarry my aunt before he passed from cancer.

Old 09-19-2013, 05:11 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,000,210 times
I've seen kids at age 18 that were mature enough to take on the responsibility, and I've seen grown people (both genders) that were nearing 60 that weren't mature enough to even be in a relationship.

For that matter, if you raise the age, what are you going to do with all the "baby-mammas" and "baby-daddies" that are 16 to 24? Not that you don't have them now. But, what you might try... If a boy and girl have a baby together, by law, they must get married. You might see a small change in the birth rate. Then again, maybe not.

Old 09-19-2013, 01:44 PM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
The numbers I see are that 50% of all marriages end in divorce. The under 25 age group seems to have an above average number of divorces. I think it is safe to say that the number of divorces for the under 25 age group is very high.

Here is one source that says 60%.

"60 percent of marriages for couples between the ages of 20 and 25 end in divorce."

Dr. Phil.com - Advice - Marriage and Divorce: The Statistics

These stats are out there, but I got married at 21 and over 20 years later im still married to the same woman. I don't want the government restricting me from marrying young simply because some folks are irresponsible. In fact a law like that would encourage a culture of promiscuity, more out of wedlock births etc. We need to return to old fashioned values in this nation. Too many divorces, to much fornication, to many out of wedlock births.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships