Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2014, 01:54 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,794,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by techcrium View Post
Yes, so using a woman's definition of approach, then I guess I am doing 10 approaches a day, 500+ approaches a year with near 99% rejection rate!
With a few exceptions, "what is considered an approach" is something that most men and women will not agree on. I hate to chalk things like this up to "we're wired differently", but I can't think of a better explanation. We simply think about some things differently. Without getting TOO off topic, look at the thread about what physical features women like about men. You'll see a lot of:

Man: What physical features do you like the most on men?
Women: I'm more drawn to personality/intellect/humor/etc than physical features.

Except for one problem: She didn't answer the question. It wasn't "are physical features the most important thing to you?" What she said is true, but it's still not an answer. It could just as easily have been:

Man: What's your favorite restaurant?
Woman: I prefer to eat at home than to go to restaurants.

Ok, that's great, but that wasn't the question. She's trying to convey a thought that, while true, doesn't provide an answer.

It's one of those little things about us that makes us different, and frustrates us at the same time...and it goes both ways. Guys will think "why don't women approach guys like guys approach women?"...and vice versa.

Suffice to say, you can express your frustration about gender differences with regard to initiating dates (I know I certainly do!), but don't expect them to change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2014, 01:55 PM

4,613 posts, read 4,794,603 times
Quote:
Is this how a woman writes off a rejection?

"Look I tried to talk to him and laughed at his jokes but he didn't ask for my number! Obviously he is not interested! Look another time I tried to be nice and got rejected!"
A lot of the time, yes. Funny, isn't it?

Old 04-03-2014, 01:56 PM

5,121 posts, read 6,803,101 times
Quote:
Why don't you ask for his number? It is the entire point I am getting at.
Because I walked up to him, broke the ice, started the conversation... how am I to know he's interested? Men (for the most part) are overwhelmingly nice and polite to women that walk up to them and start chit chatting. I've never once had a man say, "not interested" or "go away" or whatever it is men are rejected with. So the only way I know he's actually interested in me (and not just being polite) is if he follows my initiative and asks for a number or something like that. Him not asking is how he can reject (and still stay nice and polite).

Like I said before, women and men don't act the same. You can't expect a woman to walk up to a man and use a masculine approach. I know some do, but I think most women use a feminine/softer approach.

Last edited by jillabean; 04-03-2014 at 01:59 PM.. Reason: fixed typo

Old 04-03-2014, 02:02 PM

663 posts, read 778,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jillabean View Post
Because I walked up to him, broke the ice, started the conversation... how am I to know he's interested? Men (for the most part) are overwhelmingly nice and polite to women that walk up to them and start chit chatting. I've never once had a man say, "not interested" or "go away" or whatever it is men are rejected with. So the only way I know he's actually interested in me (and not just being polite) is if he follows my initiative and asks for a number or something like that. Him not asking is how he can reject (and still stay nice and polite).

Like I said before, women and men don't act the same. You can't expect a woman to walk up to a man and use a masculine approach. I know some do, but I think most women use a feminine/softer approach.
Well if he is interested in you, then he will go out on a date with you and continue going out with you.

If he is not interested in you or you are not interested in him, then you stop seeing each other after a few dates.

I don't see how this has anything to do with asking for a guys number.

Old 04-03-2014, 02:07 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times
Quote:
Well if he is interested in you, then he will go out on a date with you and continue going out with you.

If he is not interested in you or you are not interested in him, then you stop seeing each other after a few dates.

Because most men will ask for a woman's number if he is interested.

Old 04-03-2014, 02:09 PM

663 posts, read 778,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
How do you know if he is interested or not if you never ask for his number?

Old 04-03-2014, 02:10 PM

Quote:

I figure he's interested if he wants to go out in the first place--which means he asks to exchange info so we can go out on a date. Like I said, I broke the ice, I approached, he's got to do something than just stand there to show me he's interested (or even available for that matter).

You can write it off as a quirk of mine, but I feel the man needs to do something to show his interest too--put some investment into things so to speak, whether it be a phone number, email, business card, what have you. If a man is really interested in a woman and she made the approach/broke the ice he's just not going to let her walk away from him.

Old 04-03-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Turn it around... he knows she interested in him... she approached him. How does she know he's interested in her if he doesn't ask for her number. Up to that point, he's done NOTHING to show the least bit of interest up to that point. And her asking for his number just re-enforces she's interested in him (not that he's interested in her).

Old 04-03-2014, 02:12 PM

11,795 posts, read 12,030,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
That is so true.

The reality is, most men pursue, most men will ask for a phone # whether they do the approaching or if the woman approaches. The fact that a small percentage of men don't like this is unfortunate for them.

Old 04-03-2014, 02:13 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,165,372 times
Quote:
Because they ask for my number. What aren't you getting?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships