Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 02:43 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,646,900 times

Advertisements

I have no problem complimenting guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 03:25 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,638,242 times
I don't compliment guys as I find they tend to take it as a sexual invitation as well as I find most guys have inflated egos so I don't see any reason to add to it or support it with a compliment.

Old 09-15-2013, 03:33 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,850,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjth View Post
I have no problem complimenting guys.
Yep, it's easy.

Old 09-15-2013, 07:32 PM

993 posts, read 1,560,513 times
I think it's just your girlfriend or maybe your culture.

I wouldn't compliment a man that I don't know, but I always compliment men that I'm seeing. Guy friends get compliments from me when they look particularly nice, too.

Old 09-15-2013, 08:19 PM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
It is the female equivalent of calling a Black man "boy".
Oh bulloney.

I call women "gals" all the time. And I AM one.

Old 09-15-2013, 09:25 PM

108 posts, read 285,526 times
MountainGuy74 has obviously never lived in the South, or has never dated a Southern girl.

Guys, you will get plenty of compliments from Southern girls, but be prepared, because a Southern girl will speak her mind and tell you about or question your seemingly wrong choices in clothing/style &/or behavior.
Southern girls prefer their men to look and act like men. It might be the culture of the Deep South, that is less accepting of freak-show, girly man attire...........meaning if you dress like Bieber or that scraggly, hippie haired doofus on the tv show, 'Criminal Minds'.........you'll get laughed at by pretty young southern girls.
Notice that there are no LA looking, almost feminine styles on any men in Country Music or NASCAR, etc.
No Seacrest looking guys or Bieber looking guys...... One is it is blazing hot in the South from April 1st through Oct 15th and guys with extreme hair styles with tons of product is extremely unusual in the south for any heterosexual.
Girls in the south spend a lot of time on their hair but find it very strange if their boyfriend has to spend more than four minutes on his. Though the south was famous for the long shoulder length grown out Keith Partridge hairstyle with beards and mustaches from about 1971 to as late as 1986 before favoring the long mullet for the next eight years or so... The South which was once five years behind everywhere else and when they finally adopted a look they usually went to the worst extreme of that look...........................that was once the typical Southern young man's look......a walk on the bad side (bad as in awful, and not cool).
LOL, just as the South finally shed its backwards thinking and ways, no longer do the young ladies in the South like being seen out on dates with guys that don't look like guys, or guys that look like Grizzly Adams swamp creatures.
Southern girls are sweet and talkative and very complimentary but if you look like the south end of a northbound mule, they will sweetly laugh and tell you why, and they will say because yall know that a guy should look like a guy and have manners and be polite, because that is how they are raised in the South.

Old 09-15-2013, 09:27 PM

119 posts, read 103,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Richards View Post
MountainGuy74 has obviously never lived in the South, or has never dated a Southern girl.

Guys, you will get plenty of compliments from Southern girls, but be prepared, because a Southern girl will speak her mind and tell you about or question your seemingly wrong choices in clothing/style &/or behavior.
Southern girls prefer their men to look and act like men. It might be the culture of the Deep South, that is less accepting of freak-show, girly man attire...........meaning if you dress like Bieber or that scraggly, hippie haired doofus on the tv show, 'Criminal Minds'.........you'll get laughed at by pretty young southern girls.
Notice that there are no LA looking, almost feminine styles on any men in Country Music or NASCAR, etc.
No Seacrest looking guys or Bieber looking guys...... One is it is blazing hot in the South from April 1st through Oct 15th and guys with extreme hair styles with tons of product is extremely unusual in the south for any heterosexual.
Girls in the south spend a lot of time on their hair but find it very strange if their boyfriend has to spend more than four minutes on his. Though the south was famous for the long shoulder length grown out Keith Partridge hairstyle with beards and mustaches from about 1971 to as late as 1986 before favoring the long mullet for the next eight years or so... The South which was once five years behind everywhere else and when they finally adopted a look they usually went to the worst extreme of that look...........................that was once the typical Southern young man's look......a walk on the bad side (bad as in awful, and not cool).
LOL, just as the South finally shed its backwards thinking and ways, no longer do the young ladies in the South like being seen out on dates with guys that don't look like guys, or guys that look like Grizzly Adams swamp creatures.
Southern girls are sweet and talkative and very complimentary but if you look like the south end of a northbound mule, they will sweetly laugh and tell you why, and they will say because yall know that a guy should look like a guy and have manners and be polite, because that is how they are raised in the South.

This post reminded me of this video

Old 09-16-2013, 08:51 AM

9,556 posts, read 20,793,881 times
I actually think it's partly because as men, it is expected that we don't need to be constantly propped up, and low self-esteem is not as acceptable. Also, guys giving each other compliments - well about their looks, too much, is seen as gay, whereas with women it's just to bolster self-esteem. Women are more likely to be fake nice and say things they don't mean either. Also, some men taking a woman complimenting them as a sign she likes them, something she may not want him to think.

Old 09-16-2013, 08:57 AM

4,217 posts, read 7,300,225 times
I absolutely hate compliments on my appearance. I will dissect them to the point that men will never want to give them to me again.

Compliment me on my intelligence or wit. Stay away from the superficial with me. Otherwise, I get annoyed.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:11 AM

2,758 posts, read 4,958,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by udolipixie View Post
I don't compliment guys as I find they tend to take it as a sexual invitation as well as I find most guys have inflated egos so I don't see any reason to add to it or support it with a compliment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships