U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2013, 10:35 PM

718 posts, read 1,474,380 times

Advertisements

I've had enough experience with gals to know that in order to keep them happy a guy must regularly compliment her appearance. Simple things like "You look nice today" or "Hey there sexy" will sometimes boost a persons ego and make them feel good about themselves but it seems to be very one sided. Guys usually never get told by their gals "You look good" or "You look very sexy in that shirt". I know that guys tend to not really be affected by not receiving compliments but I guess it does bother me a little bit. In the mornings I send my GF a text message, usually along the lines of "good morning beautiful" and even during the day if she's just wearing whatever around the house I tell her she looks very nice but now that I look back at the last couple of years I've noticed that I don't recall ever being told anything like that. The closest thing I got to a compliment from her was "I think this color shirt would look good on you". Perhaps that's why even though I am in a relationship and am generally happy my self esteem seems to be a bit on the low side and I feel like perhaps I'm just not a good looking or sexy looking man.

What do you guys think? Does it bother you at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2013, 10:42 PM

72,664 posts, read 64,140,481 times
You've been picking the wrong women. You're missing out on the compliments you deserve.

Old 09-14-2013, 10:44 PM

17,414 posts, read 18,275,659 times
Perhaps you should start by not referring to women as "gals"

Old 09-14-2013, 10:47 PM

206 posts, read 192,550 times
Don't blow sunshine and rainbows up my ass.

BUT, if you think my car is badass......TELL ME so!

You think I'm really good at (x)???

Tell me so.

I don't give a rip cuz you like the clothes I wear.

If you noticed, that means I spent way too much time in the bathroom that day.....and or money on them.

You can wear a pair of Wranglers around and no one will say a word.

Put on a pair of Docker khakis and some penny loafers with a nice shirt.....she goes batty.

This makes no sense....my ass is WAY tighter in the Wranglers??????

Ho...hmmmm?? Ahhhh???

Old 09-14-2013, 10:47 PM

16,416 posts, read 25,200,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainGuy74 View Post
I've had enough experience with gals to know that in order to keep them happy a guy must regularly compliment her appearance. Simple things like "You look nice today" or "Hey there sexy" will sometimes boost a persons ego and make them feel good about themselves but it seems to be very one sided. Guys usually never get told by their gals "You look good" or "You look very sexy in that shirt". I know that guys tend to not really be affected by not receiving compliments but I guess it does bother me a little bit. In the mornings I send my GF a text message, usually along the lines of "good morning beautiful" and even during the day if she's just wearing whatever around the house I tell her she looks very nice but now that I look back at the last couple of years I've noticed that I don't recall ever being told anything like that. The closest thing I got to a compliment from her was "I think this color shirt would look good on you". Perhaps that's why even though I am in a relationship and am generally happy my self esteem seems to be a bit on the low side and I feel like perhaps I'm just not a good looking or sexy looking man.

What do you guys think? Does it bother you at all?
I get compliments quite often.. probably a lot more than I give

Old 09-14-2013, 10:48 PM

14,253 posts, read 14,738,973 times
I have been complimented many times by women. But you also need to understand the sort of things that women find attractive.

Old 09-14-2013, 10:50 PM

9,665 posts, read 8,312,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Perhaps you should start by not referring to women as "gals"
What's wrong with that term?

I thought it was the female version of guys, which isn't a bad term, as far as I know.

Sorry, English is not my first language.

Old 09-14-2013, 10:53 PM

6,758 posts, read 7,902,337 times
Check out some linguistics research. The vast majority of compliments are from women to men, not the other way around.

Not usually about visual stuff, though.

Old 09-14-2013, 10:55 PM

17,868 posts, read 17,073,681 times
I haven't been complimented by a woman in many years. I've forgotten what hearing one sounds and feels like.

Old 09-14-2013, 10:58 PM

17,414 posts, read 18,275,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
What's wrong with that term?

I thought it was the female version of guys, which isn't a bad term, as far as I know.

Sorry, English is not my first language.

It is the female equivalent of calling a Black man "boy".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or