Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 09:33 AM

896 posts, read 1,177,253 times

Advertisements

I see no reason to demonize this guy, some people put work first. To me it just seems like you are no longer compatible. You want more time than he is willing or able to give. I think you have to accept things as they are or move on. Since you say you spend all of your free time crying, the right choice seems obvious to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 09:43 AM

809 posts, read 1,273,371 times
Holy ****, woman, you need to correct him or move on.

I work a very demanding job in NYC and commute for 3 hours every day and I still make time. Every man has to prioritize and will make time if his personal life is "as important". My career is very important, but I have to have my family too. And on top of this I still get my 60 minutes exercise done. I don't care about professional networking. The whole drinking with coworkers thing is overrated and is possibly done in low-range village offices where people feel the need to be closely knit in the only pub in the village.

You spending time alone crying is not good.

Old 09-17-2013, 09:49 AM

7,841 posts, read 13,234,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_contrary View Post
I know, I know... I probably look so pathetic. I've been juggling the idea of leaving this guy but it's so hard. We've been together 6 years and have lived together for 4. Sometimes (usually the weekends) we still have good times and he cracks me up. All my friends and family love him. Part of me is so sick of this BS but the other part makes me want to work it out.

You are right, I'll talk to him tonight. I may also take a break and stay with family for the remainder of the week. Thanks for your input everyone!
6 years is a long time and if this has been happening for the majority of your relationship, you need to have a discussion with him about how you feel. There is nothing worse than feeling like you're #2 or #3 to someone. I've been myself and I had to let my husband know how I felt. I mean it got ugly but it was the only way for him to see how it hurt my feelings. Nip it in the bud NOW because if you don't, it will only get worse. There's no need to go to every single going away party and if he feels obligated tp go then he can go for 30 minutes, an hour tops and then get home to you.

After what you said about your birthday (happy belated, by the way!), it seems he's not putting you first. Sounds like he's taking you for granted. Maybe taking a break might help him realize that you're hurting.

Hope it all works out for you

Old 09-17-2013, 09:55 AM

8,779 posts, read 9,451,329 times
none of the details really matter, you feel taken for granted.
act accordingly or live a life of excuses

Old 09-17-2013, 09:56 AM

211 posts, read 373,200 times
hes cheating

Old 09-17-2013, 10:00 AM

46 posts, read 99,133 times
Usually when I see the title of a post like this, I start thinking that the person who is upset is most likely over-analyzing something or worried for no reason.

I was totally wrong, you have a reason to be upset and worried. You're not being needy, and your feelings are justified. Bottom line, relationships are work. Whenever I say I don't have time for something, I try to replace the phrase with "It's not my priority" instead. That line really opens up whether something is important.

I'd ask him what his priorities are in life.

Old 09-17-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellakin123 View Post
6 years is a long time and if this has been happening for the majority of your relationship, you need to have a discussion with him about how you feel. There is nothing worse than feeling like you're #2 or #3 to someone. I've been myself and I had to let my husband know how I felt. I mean it got ugly but it was the only way for him to see how it hurt my feelings. Nip it in the bud NOW because if you don't, it will only get worse. There's no need to go to every single going away party and if he feels obligated tp go then he can go for 30 minutes, an hour tops and then get home to you.

After what you said about your birthday (happy belated, by the way!), it seems he's not putting you first. Sounds like he's taking you for granted. Maybe taking a break might help him realize that you're hurting.

Hope it all works out for you
Call me old fashioned but I think it would be weird to put your girlfriend first. Wife, yes. Girlfriend, no. (Same goes for boyfriends vs husbands).

Old 09-17-2013, 10:21 AM

8,779 posts, read 9,451,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraciousVox View Post
Call me old fashioned but I think it would be weird to put your girlfriend first. Wife, yes. Girlfriend, no. (Same goes for boyfriends vs husbands).
so until you put your name tags on that say you are married you are free to ignore them as you please?

Last edited by rego00123; 09-17-2013 at 11:24 AM..

Old 09-17-2013, 10:27 AM

1,523 posts, read 1,954,054 times
If he wanted to spend time with you, he would find a way to do it. It's pretty simple.

Who the heck wants to spend time off the clock with coworkers unless it is mandatory? When 1700 rolls around, a cheetah couldn't catch me.

Old 09-17-2013, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
so until you put your name tags on that say you are married you are free to ignore them as yo please?
No. I clearly said that girlfriends/boyfriends do not come first in life. Coming in second isn't the same as being ignored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships