Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 10:58 AM

2,472 posts, read 4,213,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joke Insurance View Post
So you're basing his entire personality on one thread.

What's the matter with you?
I said what he showed in that thread (not his "entire personality") and all we have to go on is what's written on here.

Nothing's the matter with me. Just calling it like I see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 11:10 AM

1,355 posts, read 2,546,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slanderous View Post
I said what he showed in that thread (not his "entire personality") and all we have to go on is what's written on here.

Nothing's the matter with me. Just calling it like I see it.
yup, but it's just an opinion, like all the others here. doesn't make you anymore insightful than others, just makes you appear judgmental.

i've learned to appreciate online alter-egos. in fact, this is mine and if you ever met me you wouldn't connect the two. ppl are tremendously complex, which includes having shortcomings and their unique individual perspectives, and maturity level. i am not the same person i was 20years ago.

Old 09-21-2013, 11:19 AM

2,472 posts, read 4,213,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nokiddin View Post
yup, but it's just an opinion, like all the others here. doesn't make you anymore insightful than others, just makes you appear judgmental.
Ok. I'm not claiming to be anymore insightful than anyone else. That's just my opinion. I'm sure if the professor read that thread she might have second thoughts.

Old 09-21-2013, 11:27 AM

1,355 posts, read 2,546,184 times
yeah, i'm sure. anonymity is odd. and we all have our dark parts. most ppl here on CDR who are familiar with my posts would be shocked to know that i've been a practicing christian for about 25 adult years now. no doubt i'm a sinner, but also very human. even in a completely committed relationship, 100% honesty is risky.

Old 07-26-2014, 08:31 PM

1 posts, read 767 times
Default I understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
I am a professor that has dozens of former students as friends on facebook and I occasionally meet them outside of an academic environment but that does not mean I have any interest in them romantically. Usually, when they ask me to get coffee they want career advice, recommendation letters or to ask me to give a seminar or something, although there are a few that have just become friends. This past summer I played softball in an alumni league with a bunch of former students and even went out to the bars with them after the game.

When I got divorced I had several former students ask me out. In two cases they were somewhat respectful, I politely declined, and we can still talk without awkwardness. In the other case, she invited me out to lunch under the pretense that she needed career advice, faked forgetting her laptop which she conveniently left in her apartment which was a block away, then surprised with me with an aggressive sexual advance while I was waiting just inside her door. It was incredibly uncomfortable and I think that she is now afraid to talk to me.

My advice: if you value her as a mentor or a professional reference, you better make sure you are reading all signals correctly before trying anything, as an awkward moment can really burn a bridge.
I have the similar issue, but I am the student and I care about my professor a lot. I have fell for him since when I became a student in his class last year. Ever since then, I can not stop thinking about him. He is always on my mind from sun up to sun down and I understand that it is unethical and immoral to date your professor. He does not know at all and I have been keeping these feelings within my myself for a while. It is really eating me up and I would like to approach him after I graduate. Since you are a professor, what would you do if an attractive former student approaches you after graduation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships