Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 05:25 PM

628 posts, read 1,389,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
We have a long distance relationship which works out very well for both of us. I am flying in for a significant birthday my girlfriend is having the next couple of weeks.

The problem is, that the plans I had concocted with one of her friends to surprise her is not going to work out. I was to meet her with a group of her friends and I was going to be the surprise for her birthday party. Unfortunately she is tied up that evening with a work related meeting, and will not be getting home till late.

I have some reservations about either surprising her by sitting in her living room, or buy ringing the door after 9 o'clock at night. I don't want her to be completely shocked, but I do want to surprise her.

So, what I'm looking for are some unique ideas how to carry this off. My flight is already booked so I'm definitely going to be there.
BanMANa Split with Whip-Cream:

Chris Evans - yummy banana split - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 07:04 PM

6,732 posts, read 9,991,054 times
It's ok to just ignore the young kids posting who have never been in a healthy relationship .

One thing you might consider, though, when making your plans, is that if it's 9pm on her birthday and she hasn't heard from you or received a gift, she might be pretty upset with you. So the idea of telling her a gift will be waiting at her apartment is a good one .

Old 09-20-2013, 07:59 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,916,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
It's ok to just ignore the young kids posting who have never been in a healthy relationship .

One thing you might consider, though, when making your plans, is that if it's 9pm on her birthday and she hasn't heard from you or received a gift, she might be pretty upset with you. So the idea of telling her a gift will be waiting at her apartment is a good one .
Great point and I will work with that.

I was going to tell her that me and my son were going hunting up north which would explain why she could not get a hold of me.

But I like your idea thanks.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:14 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,063,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ion_Exchange View Post
The true question is what kind of future does a long distance relationship have?
I married my long-distance relationship...so I would say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I think if you plan on showing up at her apartment later in the evening - maybe tell her that you are having something delivered to her and it won't be coming until late - that way she doesn't freak out when there is someone at the door!
Agree! I wouldn't answer my door if someone rang the bell after dark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
I wonder if the difference is age level of people who immediately suspect something is going on. My girlfriend happens to be a teacher and she has a parent teacher night that night. I happen to be a semi-retired Snowbird. We just are not into those types of games.

Yes we speak regularly , sometimes a couple times a day.

I guess I should know better than to ask for advice on the internet right? One never knows what side track a thread takes.

So those are you like conspiracies just stay out of the thread. You're not helping it at all.
I agree with not surprising her if it's going to be later in the evening. I'd also not sneak into her place...I'm pretty sure I'd beat the hell out of someone that jumped out from hiding.

I would call her and tell her that you were sending something, but the delivery service called you and told you they were running late and you just wanted to give her a heads up that something would be showing up around 9ish (or whenever you were getting there).

Heck, most nights I'm in my pj's after work...and sometimes I'm in bed! Depends on the day and how active the school day was. Without a heads up I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be crawling my rear out of bed or off the couch to answer the door.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:32 PM

129 posts, read 246,374 times
I think it would be cute to find out about when she will be done with the meeting, go and wait in the parking lot and when you see her walking out text her a message that your hunting plans changed and you ended up somewhere completely unexpected. When she asks you where you are, tell her to turn around.

What a great surprise for her birthday! Good luck!

Old 09-20-2013, 08:52 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,119,784 times
I think you should surprise her a few days before you arrive with the news that you plan to go see her for her birthday. I'm in a LD relationship and part of the sweetness that comes with the visit is the anticipation. I would actually be a little upset if the visit were a surprise and I had to miss out on enjoying the anticipation.

Old 09-20-2013, 08:53 PM

628 posts, read 1,389,025 times
In seriousness though, I would let her know she MIGHT be seeing you later but DO NOT TELL WHAT YOU HAVE PLANNED.~ So it's sort of like a planned-surprise.~

Otherwise with a complete surprise, this might happen:

Mom Shoots Son in Crotch. - YouTube

Old 09-20-2013, 09:09 PM

It entirely possible that we are all overthinking this .

That said, here are my thoughts

The hunting bit sounds like you don't care about her birthday. I'd not do that one.

Meeting her in the parking lot sounds like a great way to avoid the 'I've changed out of my work clothes and am curled up on the couch and not getting off it to open the dang door' thing, which I gotta say is sure how I would feel after a day of teaching plus an evening of meetings with parents!

Speaking of which, is she going to be too wiped out to enjoy a birthday surprise? Would it be better to have a cosy phone chat that evening and change your ticket to be there on the weekend?

I would definitely recommend avoiding any shooting incidents.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:21 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,156,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NilaJones View Post
It entirely possible that we are all overthinking this .

That said, here are my thoughts

The hunting bit sounds like you don't care about her birthday. I'd not do that one.

Meeting her in the parking lot sounds like a great way to avoid the 'I've changed out of my work clothes and am curled up on the couch and not getting off it to open the dang door' thing, which I gotta say is sure how I would feel after a day of teaching plus an evening of meetings with parents!

Speaking of which, is she going to be too wiped out to enjoy a birthday surprise? Would it be better to have a cosy phone chat that evening and change your ticket to be there on the weekend?

I would definitely recommend avoiding any shooting incidents.
I don't think the hunting thing is off base. If he's not with her on her birthday - it's not like it really matters what he is doing!

Old 09-20-2013, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
I don't think the hunting thing is off base. If he's not with her on her birthday - it's not like it really matters what he is doing!
But it sounds like he's not with her because he is going hunting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships