Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 01:30 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,209,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Friend, whatever...if you pull out your phone and begin playing with it when we are supposed to be having dinner together, you are a rude SOB and you a dead meat for one-on-one socializing from that point on.
For sure. Since this is the relationship forum, this goes double or triple for a dating couple. There have been previous threads on proper cell phone etiquette. The rule is very simple, before the date starts, you turn off your techie toy, put it away, never check it, and forget about it untill after the date is over. You focus and give all your attention to your companion and expect to receive the same from him/her. To do otherwise is boorish and very rude and tells your date that they are not important and that they are boring you. Expecting a very important call or text that you just cannot miss? Bunk, how often does this happen, once every ten or fifteen years? Never? Let the damn thing go to voicemail, 99.9% of them can wait for several hours with no harm done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 01:39 PM

29,696 posts, read 34,240,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Friend, whatever...if you pull out your phone and begin playing with it when we are supposed to be having dinner together, you are a rude SOB and you a dead meat for one-on-one socializing from that point on.
I understand using the phone for checking movie times or googling something that comes up in conversation, but if you made the effort to go out in order to spend some time together spending most of that time with your phone just seems lame.

Some coworkers will regularly go out for drinks after work, and one of the guys has his phone almost surgically attached to his hand to the point where if you try to include him in conversation he says, "Huh, what? Can you say that again?" I just wonder why he even bothers coming, since he obviously would rather be doing something else.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:05 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,089,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
For sure. Since this is the relationship forum, this goes double or triple for a dating couple. There have been previous threads on proper cell phone etiquette. The rule is very simple, before the date starts, you turn off your techie toy, put it away, never check it, and forget about it untill after the date is over. You focus and give all your attention to your companion and expect to receive the same from him/her. To do otherwise is boorish and very rude and tells your date that they are not important and that they are boring you. Expecting a very important call or text that you just cannot miss? Bunk, how often does this happen, once every ten or fifteen years? Never? Let the damn thing go to voicemail, 99.9% of them can wait for several hours with no harm done.
Very good post! Could apply for friendships and social outings. Was with 2 friends yesterday and the conversation began to veer toward the smartphones and what new apps and stuff they had and showing it off. Happens often I realize after thinking of this thread.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:12 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,189,893 times
We put ours away... works quite well.

Old 10-22-2013, 08:42 AM

7,090 posts, read 12,614,811 times
Is it an addiction, do you suppose? This need and behavior to always be connected...to find out who's posted what on Facebook...to constantly check and send text messages? To take and send "selfies"?

This just all seems..so shallow..what about conversation that's about ideas/creativity instead of who said/did what and to whom or Miley Cyrus' twerking.

This constant need to communicate about trivia somehow speaks of a validation of "I text, therefore I exist."

Maybe I don't understand. But our world, to me, is becoming a shallow world of mindless pap.

Excuse me now as I go to watch Dancing With the Stars...lol.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:00 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,412,743 times
It's a habit. Not all habits are addictions.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:21 AM

36,217 posts, read 30,664,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brainwashed_in_church View Post
Here's you. Not much difference?
And you will note the irritated look on her face. Actually a married couple reading the newspaper over coffee at home and two people engrossed in their devices while out at a restaurant is different.

Old 10-22-2013, 09:57 AM

12,535 posts, read 15,173,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
And you will note the irritated look on her face. Actually a married couple reading the newspaper over coffee at home and two people engrossed in their devices while out at a restaurant is different.
Maybe it's because I was raised to believe it's rude to read at the table during a meal with someone else, not only do I find that picture to make a good point, I'm that much more annoyed when people pull out their phones while sharing a meal with someone else. To me it's the same thing: You're telling the person you're with that whatever you're looking at in the paper or on the phone is more interesting. The way I see it, if you want to do that, just dine alone.

Old 03-01-2015, 11:10 AM

522 posts, read 713,278 times
put the phone away and talk to your fellow human beings around you.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:40 PM

513 posts, read 428,038 times
It's rude, it let's me know that you could give two s***s about me, and you're not really listening.

Can a phone hold you at night?
Can a phone emotionally and physically comfort you?
Can you get freaky with a phone?

Put the phone down before it ends up in your mash potatoes...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships