Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Normal response time for online dating messages?
Same day 1 7.69%
Next day 2 15.38%
around 2 days 6 46.15%
around 3-5 days 1 7.69%
1 week 3 23.08%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 10:53 AM

3,770 posts, read 6,742,675 times

Advertisements

I cute girl messaged me around midnite. that was a surprise. we are only a 59% match, but I like what she wrote on her profile

the only person I messaged deleted their profile after. we were 97%. It was a normal message referencing things she wrote. they must have found someone or got tired of online dating. but I wish they would have at least messaged something back.

also, both are lawyers. that's strange.

Last edited by FelixTheCat; 09-23-2013 at 11:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 11:55 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
waiting means time doing other things instead, like errands, thinking about what they said or what to say back.
oh. i'm not sure if i understand, but have you tried forgetting about it immediately after you send it?

overthinking can be a legitimate problem

i would be using my offline time to experience the world around me; if i'm thinking at all it is of opportunities to meet other fellow offline daters.

Old 09-23-2013, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
oh. i'm not sure if i understand, but have you tried forgetting about it immediately after you send it?

overthinking can be a legitimate problem

i would be using my offline time to experience the world around me; if i'm thinking at all it is of opportunities to meet other fellow offline daters.

i don't think ppl are understanding my question. it's more of an etiquette question. i'm wondering what the norm is from other ppls experiences, since i haven't online dated in a while. i am doing other stuff.

Old 09-23-2013, 02:29 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,107,581 times
A few days. I didn't always log into a computer everyday when I did it, so it could take me a few days to get back to someone. If I was writing back and forth with someone I really enjoyed talking to then I would probably make writing to them a little more of a priority. But it's silly to keep track of those things, in my opinion. What if you say someone should get back to you in 3 days, but a woman takes 4 days. Are you going to ignore her message because she took 1 day longer than the amount of time you decided is normal?

Old 09-23-2013, 02:53 PM

809 posts, read 1,273,371 times
Quote:
I cute girl messaged me around midnite. that was a surprise. we are only a 59% match, but I like what she wrote on her profile

the only person I messaged deleted their profile after. we were 97%. It was a normal message referencing things she wrote. they must have found someone or got tired of online dating. but I wish they would have at least messaged something back.

also, both are lawyers. that's strange.
Mine was 35% match when I first found her profile. So much for their compatibility algorithm.

Bottom line, dudes, pursue the most mismatching once in a while, she may be more compatible than the other ones and could eventually become the love of your life.

Old 09-23-2013, 02:56 PM

2,758 posts, read 4,958,706 times
Quote:
i don't think ppl are understanding my question. it's more of an etiquette question. i'm wondering what the norm is from other ppls experiences, since i haven't online dated in a while. i am doing other stuff.
Whenever you feel like it.
But if you wait 7 days, chances are slim she will respond.

If someone says you messaged them too soon, then you know there wasn't enough interest.

I have messaged anywhere from a minute after receiving a message, to over a week. I have received responses in both scenarios.
I have also never had a response following such. situations. It all depends if she likes you (well, your photo, and a 1-3 paragraph profile about you).

Old 09-23-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duchamp Dude View Post
Mine was 35% match when I first found her profile. So much for their compatibility algorithm.

Bottom line, dudes, pursue the most mismatching once in a while, she may be more compatible than the other ones and could eventually become the love of your life.
i'm not stuck on match %. i'll read the answers to questions, to see if there is something I can't live with. I don't see a problem with any of her answers. a lot of the questions aren't that important. I can see that, I may have a problem with an 85% and not with some who are 50%, depending on which questions were answered.

Old 09-23-2013, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AverageGuy2006 View Post
Whenever you feel like it.
But if you wait 7 days, chances are slim she will respond.

If someone says you messaged them too soon, then you know there wasn't enough interest.

I have messaged anywhere from a minute after receiving a message, to over a week. I have received responses in both scenarios.
I have also never had a response following such. situations. It all depends if she likes you (well, your photo, and a 1-3 paragraph profile about you).

I agree. either they like you or they don't. there's not a whole lot you can do about it either way. but I can see how someone would change their mind if I took a week to get back.

Old 09-23-2013, 03:17 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,151,476 times
It all depends on your intentions. For me, dating sites were nothing more than online booty call registries, so I would send out mass premade templates and respond to whoever responded to me pretty quickly. This is the best and most efficient way to do so.

If you're in it to get a real relationship, then I can't help. That was never my intention with those sites.

Old 09-23-2013, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
It all depends on your intentions. For me, dating sites were nothing more than online booty call registries, so I would send out mass premade templates and respond to whoever responded to me pretty quickly. This is the best and most efficient way to do so.

If you're in it to get a real relationship, then I can't help. That was never my intention with those sites.

i'm more interested in dating and if we are a really good match, then a relationship. if I were looking for a fling or hook up, id go to a club. at a club, you know instantly if there is chemistry and you don't need to know much more. I like online dating for finding out more about someone before you meet them. The downside is that there may not be chemistry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships