Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2013, 07:28 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,381,196 times

Advertisements

Say, hypothetically, you want all of the benefits of marriage -- tax breaks, dual income, lower car insurance, etc. -- but you don't want to really be with someone romantically. And furthermore, say both partners had something to bring to the table that the other needed. For example, one has a good insurance plan and a decent pension, and the other has his or her own business that makes a respectable income.

And say that together you could have a much better life than you could alone. No one's gold-digging here; they're just trying to find a way to make a better life for themselves.

Would you enter a marriage of convenience, if both of you trusted each other? Why or why not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2013, 07:32 PM

415 posts, read 599,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa78703 View Post
Say, hypothetically, you want all of the benefits of marriage
There aren't any benefits to marriage (especially not for men).

Old 09-23-2013, 07:35 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,546,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigGuy View Post
There aren't any benefits to marriage (especially not for men).
haha, that was funny

but to OP's point, it happens more often than you think. and, sadly, marriages turn out that way over the course of time because many couples feel "stuck" with what they have because they believe life would be more complicated going a divorce and risk being alone for the rest of their life.

there is a saying "better to live with the devil you know than to live with the one you don't" that probably applies in these cases.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:35 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,946,208 times
The tax breaks and lower car insurance are so trivial (in my case at least) I can't imagine getting married to save a couple hundred a year.

I couldn't/wouldn't do it.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:38 PM

Okay then. Let's up the ante.

Imagine that by getting married, you would be able to save 50% of your net income each month and set it aside for yourself to do with what you want -- travel, buy a new car, or basically not worry about making ends meet. Then would you do it?

Old 09-23-2013, 07:41 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,546,441 times
sounds like my last marriage...

but really, it does go on more often than you think and with same sex marriage, it will go up even more. heck, i am even thinking about marrying my best male friend for the tax and economic benefits.

it's easy to do: go to the course house, shake hands, and see you later, call me when you get your W-2s. and if you ever really want to do a romantic/marriage of love, it's easy to get divorced. heck, you future spouse doesn't even have to know. you could even do a prenup where you spell out the property division and make the divorce expedited.

for most ppl, and definitely women, they have an idealized vision of marriage. but believe me, once you get married and get divorced, the concept doesn't mean that much anymore. and it's then more of a legal/contractual arrangement where you ask yourself do you really want to do that again or can you have the benefits of an LTR without the contract? for most guys, the answer is easy.

Last edited by nokiddin; 09-23-2013 at 08:00 PM..

Old 09-23-2013, 07:43 PM

16,960 posts, read 17,342,198 times
sounds like gold digging to me no matter how you present it

my answer is no

Old 09-23-2013, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nokiddin View Post
sounds like my last marriage
Mine too. That part of it was really sweet, not having to worry about anything.

It was the actual "relationship" part that didn't work out for me.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:56 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
How are the people fulfilling their needs for affection and intimacy? A fat bank account is not worth a sexless life to me.

Old 09-23-2013, 07:58 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,652,905 times
No way, Jose.

But that's me talking now. I hear of a lot of senior citizens doing this, especially for tax breaks and to help care for each other in old age. Who knows? If I'm still single then, maybe I'll have given up on love and be open to doing something like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships