Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 11:39 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,523,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddingS View Post
Though my gf is already 19 years old, while I'm 20 it seems like her parents are still old fashioned. For far we have been dating for about 2 months and well the first time I wanted to take her out on a date, she said I had to get in the house first. I thought it was weird because with my two previous exes, we would just meet each other and date, then later on meet each other's family.

Well when I got in, her father started questioning me immediately and I really felt very uncomfortable, as if I were in a police station or something. Then her mother comes and same thing. She starts explaining that Deanna is studying to become a physician and asked what my major is, where are we going, etc.
So far, they sound like great parents to me! If you are serious about their daughter and not just trying to bang her, this is a good time to STHU and take your medicine.
Quote:
Recently, they have been demanding twice to meet my parents. I don't feel too liked by her parents.
This does seem a bit odd to me that they want to meet your parents. It's not like you're getting married to the daughter. But it also seems like it would be up to the daughter to nip this one part in the bud.
Quote:
Should I continue this relationship? I really like Deanna and I'm happy she's studying (so I'm I, my major is criminal justice) but even she can't stand it either. Are they going to get used to it? It feels like I have to go out of my way and do extra work, more than ever for them to stop thinking of me as someone stealing their girl from them. She chose to be with me too.
It's up to you to decide to stay in the relationship or not. The true answer lies with the girl, not her panrets. If you like her enough, you will get used to the parents being a little too intrusive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 11:59 AM

1,454 posts, read 2,166,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
What her parents are doing is what responsible parents that care about their children should be doing. You have to accept that you are not dating some welfare rat with parents who don't care what she does or where she is.
True but what can be said about my father who refused to meet my then bf and practically wanted to kick me out of the house once because according to him I was already an adult? Had my mother not argued with him, I would have been out on my own either on that same day or a week later.

He didn't ask anymore questions when I was dating J. It was not until almost 6 months later of losing my V-card (he found out through my mother) that he finally asked if protection was used, then said nothing much. The first question after so long of not getting involve in my dating life.

Old 09-26-2013, 12:02 PM

8,779 posts, read 9,452,560 times
age, mature and be respectful to both their daughter and the people around you and you will start being treated like you feel you should.

you have unfortunate burden of youth on your side...you need to prove that you are a decent individual with good intentions. this doesn't happen over night

you cant rush peoples trust and respect. those things are earned through time and example

Old 09-26-2013, 12:08 PM

1,454 posts, read 2,166,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
age, mature and be respectful to both their daughter and the people around you and you will start being treated like you feel you should.

you have unfortunate burden of youth on your side...you need to prove that you are a decent individual with good intentions. this doesn't happen over night

you cant rush trust and respect. those things are earned
I agree. The OP has to built up their trust in him and it's going to take a while. He has to be patience and if he likes their daughter, then I'm sure the parents will notice that and lower their tone.

Old 09-26-2013, 12:27 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,544,358 times
I think age plays a part here. IF you were both about to graduate, the questions might be the same, but the tone would be different. At this point they're more protective of their daughter with it not being that long since she reached adult age. They don't want some "loser" interfering with her college plans. I don't think you're considered a loser yet since they'd like to meet your parents. However, I do find it odd for them to want to do so this early in a relationship. Six months would be more appropriate. They just want to be sure they can trust you with their daughter and have only her best interests in mind, as all good parents should.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships