Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 10:20 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,546,184 times

Advertisements

yep, she is in the know, got us all figured out, knows guy game inside out, can spot a fake guy with bad motives a mile away, knows the rules, concepts, and counsel like know other. she is just one of those where being cool, interesting, and entertaining isnt gonna get you anywhere, so you might as well not bother trying. go find you someone else more gull able. cuz shes got your number
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2013, 05:28 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I've asked for examples of 'decent' PUA...and have yet to receive one. I've asked for it on this very thread and didn't receive a response.

I'd love to read about PUAs that don't suggest or teach about manipulating women, so if you know of any please send them my way.
manipulating people is part and parcel of seduction.

women wearing makeup is a good example

Old 10-02-2013, 05:39 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I would think more and more women are getting up to speed on the PUA thing, and would begin to avoid guys that start pulling that nonsense.
well, my opinion is that a nontrivial % of the PUA community is disabled, in that they're on the aspergers / autism spectrum, and that society in general is pretty hostile to them about their sexuality. So these are the people who are susceptible to, i don't know, memorizing pickup lines... or paying for seminars... or going around blatantly insulting women.

that's not the only crowd involved, but it's the one that apparently has the most visibility.

Old 10-02-2013, 05:52 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,298,587 times
Every time I see PUA videos or advice columns I am startled by how similar in tone and execution the contents are to dog training. Substitute some cheesy PUA name with Cesar Milan and not very much changes. I keep waiting for a PUA to say "use your dominant energy to make the woman assume a calm submissive state" or "...there are two types of women, those that are food motivated and those that are attention motivated.."

I guess that if my approach to romantic relationships was that women were dogs in need of training then PUA videos would make perfect sense. On the other hand, I do believe there are lessons learned in dog training that are useful in relationships as well, including patience, empathy, and value prioritization.

Old 10-02-2013, 12:35 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
manipulating people is part and parcel of seduction.

women wearing makeup is a good example
I rarely wear makeup, but when I do it's not to attract men. It's because women are judged primarily on appearance in all aspects of their life, from getting decent service at a restaurant to being successful at their job.

Old 10-02-2013, 05:14 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,159,122 times
Quote:
I rarely wear makeup, but when I do it's not to attract men. It's because women are judged primarily on appearance in all aspects of their life, from getting decent service at a restaurant to being successful at their job.
Yeah, this is a bit of a false equivalency. It's like saying a guy wearing well-tailored and sharp clothing is manipulating people. He's simply trying to make a good impression that will improve his chances at succeeding in life, of which dating is only one facet.

Old 10-02-2013, 05:32 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inebriated Duck View Post
Yeah, this is a bit of a false equivalency. It's like saying a guy wearing well-tailored and sharp clothing is manipulating people. He's simply trying to make a good impression that will improve his chances at succeeding in life, of which dating is only one facet.
Yes, but a man doesn't have to wear a well-tailored suit or sharp clothing to be respected. His actions can be respected, his knowledge can be respected, his accomplishments can be respected.

Not necessarily so for a woman. I've seen many intelligent, sharp, knowledgeable women completely shot down because they were 'ugly'. I mean, at my last job I was told it looked like I didn't take my job seriously because I didn't do my hair and wear makeup daily...and I was working as a mechanic at the time. The guys could come in with shaggy, unkempt hair and unshaven faces, but I was the one required to look 'pretty' and apparently I was the only one in the department whose looks came up on their progress reports.

So yeah... I do think it's a bit different.

Old 10-02-2013, 08:22 PM

3,549 posts, read 5,376,373 times
Quote:
Yes, but a man doesn't have to wear a well-tailored suit or sharp clothing to be respected. His actions can be respected, his knowledge can be respected, his accomplishments can be respected.

Not necessarily so for a woman. I've seen many intelligent, sharp, knowledgeable women completely shot down because they were 'ugly'. I mean, at my last job I was told it looked like I didn't take my job seriously because I didn't do my hair and wear makeup daily...and I was working as a mechanic at the time. The guys could come in with shaggy, unkempt hair and unshaven faces, but I was the one required to look 'pretty' and apparently I was the only one in the department whose looks came up on their progress reports.

So yeah... I do think it's a bit different.
I know tons of ugly women in the construction industry who are amazing at what they do. Not typically labor stuff but often the document control, safety, and traceability women. Most of them are ugly but they kick ass at what they do and any man there will tell you that. I've known several women welders and if they got done uo for work they'd get laughed at probably. In our industry if the labor girls are actually workers and sweat. If you have fake nails or makeup you care about you wont last.

Actually, ive worked on tons of construction sites and work management at one right now and the girls are typically told to "dress down" as girls that "try" to look cute are more of a distraction to the guys working.

I dont know about mechanics specifically but i have a hard time believing a boss would want a girl in a position that warrants getting dirty, all done up.

Eagerly awaiting your 100 examples that say otherwise than my experience lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Old 10-04-2013, 07:38 AM

37 posts, read 41,085 times
Update on my situation. I just got out of class with the girl I was using as an example. Things seem to be going well now, and she's sitting near me and starting conversations with me. At this point I'm thinking next time I see her I'll walk her to her in the direction of her dorm and then ask her out. I feel that's appropriate.

Old 10-04-2013, 07:52 AM

1,355 posts, read 2,546,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Fake Internet Name View Post
Update on my situation. I just got out of class with the girl I was using as an example. Things seem to be going well now, and she's sitting near me and starting conversations with me. At this point I'm thinking next time I see her I'll walk her to her in the direction of her dorm and then ask her out. I feel that's appropriate.
appropriate if you were a creep. then next time you in class together she's thinking "awwkwarrddd"

listen dude, if you already have on-going contact with her, just keep chatting her up until she warms up to you a bit and i promise me there will be a point where you guys can go get some coffee, a bite to eat, out for a drink, maybe to a move, have a few more drinks, ....

guys need to stop doing this going up to a girl and asking her out. it's like asking them "do you like me like a boy friend, yes or no?" forget about asking her for a date, focus on building chemistry, emotional connection, and making a pass at her when you get that vibe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships