Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2013, 07:54 PM

330 posts, read 544,875 times

Advertisements

Average woman here, my guess is 30.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 07:59 PM

2,087 posts, read 2,848,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tasteslikepurple View Post
Wow. That's low. I know for sure 1 woman I worked with went through at least 20 guys in one year and she was pretty average.

My original guess was closer to 400, but I conceded that the woman would have been in a relationship a lot of that time and brought it down.

I think for the average guy, it's probably around 30 (compared to 150 for women).

Old 09-27-2013, 08:01 PM

7,454 posts, read 13,422,144 times
Quote:
After adding you as a friend and seeing your photo. You aren't average!

Old 09-27-2013, 08:04 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
I would estimate it out....

Let's say beginning at age 12 an average of 2 males a day (it may be more or less than that on any given day or time period but I'll just average it out to 2) approach her, 365 days a year, for a total of 18 years.

She rejects an estimated: 13,140 males.

That's probably a rather conservative figure.
LOL! OK, when I was in my younger 20's (got married at 26) I would have fit the OP's description almost perfectly. I'd say I was squarely within the 5-7 range, perhaps even 8, but I most certainly did not get approached 2x/day and not even 2x/month. I was more shy perhaps than the hypothetical woman in the OP so didn't send out the signals that would have helped the men approach. Truth is that most men are not going to approach a girl who isn't sending signals, which brings us to an important question--how to define a rejection? If she doesn't send signals, is that a rejection? If you try to get to know her better but she makes it clear she just wants to be friends, is that a rejection? If she gets to know a man a bit hoping for a relationship but then finds out he's married, what about that? Or the man I sat up and talked to all night long about absolutely everything--I really liked him. And then he kissed me good night and it was over. But I think it was mutual, so not sure if that counts. Or the man I met at a party and it was love at first sight and he seemed attracted too but when he came over to talk, I was so overwhelmed by his wonderfulness that I made some stupid excuse about needing a beer and fled. And I still think of him to this day and wonder if life would have been different if I hadn't chickened out. He might have read it as a rejection--probably hurt his feelings even.

Too many gray areas to quantify this and reminds me of a trip once to a really cool park in Spain--there were over a hundred waterfalls there I think. Only problem is, how do you count waterfalls? Oh the big ones are obvious but they run into another body of water and what about the little rivulets? Big ones, little ones, ones coming out of caves--even saw one that looked like a peace sign, but I'm glad I wasn't obsessed enough with counting to try it.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave nz View Post
After adding you as a friend and seeing your photo. You aren't average!
Thanks!

Old 09-27-2013, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS99 View Post
Wow. That's low. I know for sure 1 woman I worked with went through at least 20 guys in one year and she was pretty average.

My original guess was closer to 400, but I conceded that the woman would have been in a relationship a lot of that time and brought it down.

I think for the average guy, it's probably around 30 (compared to 150 for women).
Well, i´m an introvert. I don´t receive much attention, really.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:18 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,838,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prince_Frog View Post
I was never sleepy with the pain medications, it gave me what I can only describe as a major high, like what Mr. Mackey felt like when he was high on that south park episode. All I can honestly remember, is having to get up about 5 minutes before class was over with someone holding my books and riding an elevator up and down to get to class. That's it.
Lmao! Yeah I had that too. Funny how I suddenly had friends because they got to leave early and ride the elevator.

"I'll help Raena! No I'll help Raena! I called dibs!"

(Um.....do I even know you?)

Old 09-27-2013, 08:23 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times
Quote:
Well, i´m an introvert. I don´t receive much attention, really.
And that has everything to do with it. Which woman are men more likely to ask out: you take two pictures of 2 women and spread them out. One is a 6 and one is a 8 just for the sake of clarity. But then you get in a party with them and the 6 is outgoing and fun and the 8 looks like she'd rather be anywhere but there and you know who's going to get more dates. Now, beyond a certain point, 3? 4? It won't matter how fun she is, but a man isn't going to approach someone who is likely to reject him unless he's quite confident in himself.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:32 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,470,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
LOL! OK, when I was in my younger 20's (got married at 26) I would have fit the OP's description almost perfectly. I'd say I was squarely within the 5-7 range, perhaps even 8, but I most certainly did not get approached 2x/day and not even 2x/month.
You were not wearing the short shorts! stepka!

Quote:
I was more shy perhaps than the hypothetical woman in the OP so didn't send out the signals that would have helped the men approach. Truth is that most men are not going to approach a girl who isn't sending signals, which brings us to an important question--how to define a rejection? If she doesn't send signals, is that a rejection? If you try to get to know her better but she makes it clear she just wants to be friends, is that a rejection? If she gets to know a man a bit hoping for a relationship but then finds out he's married, what about that? Or the man I sat up and talked to all night long about absolutely everything--I really liked him. And then he kissed me good night and it was over. But I think it was mutual, so not sure if that counts. Or the man I met at a party and it was love at first sight and he seemed attracted too but when he came over to talk, I was so overwhelmed by his wonderfulness that I made some stupid excuse about needing a beer and fled. And I still think of him to this day and wonder if life would have been different if I hadn't chickened out. He might have read it as a rejection--probably hurt his feelings even.

Too many gray areas to quantify this and reminds me of a trip once to a really cool park in Spain--there were over a hundred waterfalls there I think. Only problem is, how do you count waterfalls? Oh the big ones are obvious but they run into another body of water and what about the little rivulets? Big ones, little ones, ones coming out of caves--even saw one that looked like a peace sign, but I'm glad I wasn't obsessed enough with counting to try it.
[Chuckles] This sounds like some woman stuff. Especially the last paragraph, with all that waterfalls stuff.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:38 PM

12,535 posts, read 15,195,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJS99 View Post
I was just curious about this and thought it'd be an interesting perspective on how often men THINK women get approached or have clear interest expressed to them.

OK. First, let's define average. It's a wide range for sure, but let's say:

-White (just for simplicity, not racism)
-Average to cute face. Based on headshot alone, would get ranked anywhere from 5 to 7.
-5'3"-5'5"
-About average weight for her height
-About average body type. Works out but not religiously. Good metabolism.
-Fairly social, regularly social. Has a solid group of friends and gets out regularly.
-Lived at college for 4 years
-Frequented bars and clubs, but not a hardcore partier
-Pleasant personality.
-Has had a 'career' where she works in a 'city', goes home to her apartment, goes to the gym, walks her dog, grabs drinks with friends, etc, etc.

Let's say she is now age 30 and still single. Rejections count as turning down a guy at a bar/club, in the street, rejecting her friends, teachers' advances, co-workers, etc, etc. Other women/lesbians do not count for now.

Hookups of any form and dumping, and breakups don't count as rejections. Even a totally drunk regrettable hookup with a total regret in the morning does not count.

I would like to hear answers from GUYS. What's your guess? I know there's variation. Just ballpark it.
That was me, and the answer is 1,462,398.

Give or take 100,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships