Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 09:14 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times

Advertisements

No. I think sex on date 3 has ruined courtship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2013, 12:29 AM

1,351 posts, read 1,598,510 times
I think online dating has played a factor in transforming dating for some people into something like eBay or Amazon.com, minus the customer reviews. That has positives and negatives. Positives: see NilaJones's post. Negatives: nonverbal communication (voluntary and involuntary) is often important in forming a connection, but that doesn't translate all that well over an internet connection; you gotta meet in person to get a better feel.

I believe PUA, dating "rules" in general, a rise in men growing up in single-parent households, inadequate development of face-to-face social skills while young, and entitlement have all played far more substantial roles in the reduction of courtship. There is an increase in manipulation and in having an agenda (e.g. going for sex ASAP), and a decrease in simply enjoying each other's company and letting things and emotional bonds form and flow naturally without trying too hard.

Old 09-29-2013, 03:22 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,725,051 times
Well, for those who had no dating life before the internet, it HAS actually created courtships that take place exclusively in cyber space!

Old 09-29-2013, 10:56 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Good points about chivalry and the loss of social interaction.

Maybe it is also related to the loss of civility in some ways and the idea of being polite in public. Or possibility related to being "classy" or lady like or a gentleman. Those norms are so different now. Not trying to be a hater, but we can't forget that Beyonce is considered one of the classier celebrities and not long ago that oils not have been the case.

There is also the whole phenom of putting the cell phones in the middle of the table and having the first one who grabs their phone pick up the tab. It is very hard for people to remain present and in the moment. We have been training for lots of multitasking.

My phone stays in my bag 90% of the time when I am out. Unless maybe I am in the bathroom line alone or something.

I am on my phone, please forgive the typos.

Old 09-29-2013, 11:16 AM

5,347 posts, read 7,199,924 times
No, hookup culture has ruined the art of courtship

Old 09-29-2013, 11:34 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,876,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradPiff View Post
Should I rephrase to modern culture is at fault?

On an autocorrecting iDevice.

Old 09-29-2013, 12:59 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
I can agree with that. Most guys are just looking for easy sex, and women think that having easy sex with turn into a relationship.

Generalized, of course...but it gets really old going on 1st dates and the guy expecting physical action when I didn't even know his last name. Since I won't put out, he'll just move on until someone will. Nobody actually wants to invest time and energy into another person and it's sad.

Old 09-29-2013, 01:01 PM

52,268 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Yeah, and I'll add that young people, men and women, seem to devalue sex and intimacy, it's sort of sad, really........

Old 09-29-2013, 01:39 PM

15,013 posts, read 21,652,905 times
Absolutely.

Old 09-29-2013, 02:59 PM

4,187 posts, read 5,159,562 times
I think we have to define courtship before we can discuss something like this. Are we talking courtship in a general sense? Because in that case, it certainly is still around. Or, and this is more likely, are we talking about the kind of courtship that was common in the 1800s and early 1900s (and still exists in most non-western countries.) The latter usually involves the man giving gifts, calling on the parents, going through a certain formula that may differ from culture to culture but ultimately involves the man offering formalized courtesy and socio-economic status in exchange for beauty and/or fertility.

Now that in most Western nations the wage gap between genders has drastically shrunk and dating has become less controlled by senior family figures, that kind of courtship has slowly died.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships