Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 12:32 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberphonics View Post
The one thing I always wonder though is when people try online dating because they reeeeeally don't have time to socialize. If your schedule's that bad, how in the world will you have time to be in a relationship? lol

Often a very fair question, actually. That, especially with many hard workers, is a real problem.

But plenty of people have time to socialize, but their friends they socialize with are coupled off. I socialize quite a bit, but how would I meet anyone through those things? There are almost never single females my age. Plus, I don't know about you, but most people like to chat a little bit before asking someone out. If I run into a rare single female at an event, I wouldn't want to ask her out right away. We know nothing about each other.

Where are people socializing? I hear churches (I don't know any religious people, and am not superstitious, myself). Work (won't date a co worker). With friends (mostly coupled and won't date friends of friends). Alumni events (trying this, but generally its a younger crowd). And hobby related activities (90% male dominated). Bars? Well, not so many middle aged women go alone to bars. I don't as much as I used to.

So, online is a good way to chat with people then meet. Nice and mellow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 12:49 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,146,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Often a very fair question, actually. That, especially with many hard workers, is a real problem.

But plenty of people have time to socialize, but their friends they socialize with are coupled off. I socialize quite a bit, but how would I meet anyone through those things? There are almost never single females my age. Plus, I don't know about you, but most people like to chat a little bit before asking someone out. If I run into a rare single female at an event, I wouldn't want to ask her out right away. We know nothing about each other.
don'
Where are people socializing? I hear churches (I t know any religious people, and am not superstitious, myself). Work (won't date a co worker). With friends (mostly coupled and won't date friends of friends). Alumni events (trying this, but generally its a younger crowd). And hobby related activities (90% male dominated). Bars? Well, not so many middle aged women go alone to bars. I don't as much as I used to.

It would probably help if you didn't insult people by calling their religion "superstitious". No wonder some of you people can't find a somebody. Online dating is not going to help some of you people make up for a lack of intelligence.

Old 10-03-2013, 12:58 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
It would probably help if you didn't insult people by calling their religion "superstitious". No wonder some of you people can't find a somebody. Online dating is not going to help some of you people make up for a lack of intelligence.
I find this funny coming from you...you insult people CONSTANTLY on this board, but religion is off limits? Interesting.

Old 10-03-2013, 01:00 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,962,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post

If you were intelligent you would realize that believing the the supernatural is superstitious. Gods / spirits / ghosts /fairies are all related nonsense; indeed, if you look up the definitions of the words the links are obvious. Thankfully I've lived in fairly educated places such as Cambridge, MA and San Francisco, CA for most of my life and that educated viewpoint is widespread. And I would never, ever date a religious person. Total dealbreaker.

Oh, and I have no problem finding "someone", I have multiple "someone"(s) in my life right now and don't OLD right now.

Thank you for your opinion though.

Last edited by timberline742; 10-03-2013 at 01:14 PM..

Old 10-03-2013, 02:26 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,227,349 times
Plenty of attractive people in other countries IMO.

Look for people outside your country.

Old 10-03-2013, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I find this funny coming from you...you insult people CONSTANTLY on this board, but religion is off limits? Interesting.

Old 10-03-2013, 03:30 PM

Quote:
If you were intelligent you would realize that believing the the supernatural is superstitious. Gods / spirits / ghosts /fairies are all related nonsense; indeed, if you look up the definitions of the words the links are obvious. Thankfully I've lived in fairly educated places such as Cambridge, MA and San Francisco, CA for most of my life and that educated viewpoint is widespread. And I would never, ever date a religious person. Total dealbreaker.

Oh, and I have no problem finding "someone", I have multiple "someone"(s) in my life right now and don't OLD right now.

Thank you for your opinion though.
You have a bunch of women but you're asking where to meet women? Right, you might want to get your story straight.

Old 10-03-2013, 04:01 PM

1,035 posts, read 2,061,255 times
Quote:

Where are people socializing? I hear churches (I don't know any religious people, and am not superstitious, myself). Work (won't date a co worker). With friends (mostly coupled and won't date friends of friends). Alumni events (trying this, but generally its a younger crowd). And hobby related activities (90% male dominated). Bars? Well, not so many middle aged women go alone to bars. I don't as much as I used to.

Very true. I remember Match.com was showing those commercials for a while advertising how they have singles events you can go to and meet members in a group setting, kind of like a hybrid of online and offline dating, trying to bring the best of both worlds together. I don't know much more about it other than the look on the people's faces in the commercials were hilarious but I'm sure there's something on the site about it.

I imagine there have got to be a bunch of singles events or meetups in general out there for you to go to and socialize with exactly the pool you're looking to pull from, though I don't know where you are so maybe not. And hey, no need to ask anyone out the first time you meet, right? Chat a little and ask for a number or email so you can chat again some time. I know it's probably tougher in small areas where the population seems like the same ten people in rotation, though.

Old 10-03-2013, 05:14 PM

543 posts, read 534,205 times
I keep imagining those Match.com events as giant sausage fests.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:01 PM

37,615 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11KAP View Post
lol i didn't think people used online dating sites in real life.
at least i never met anyone who did.
What life did you think they used them in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships